1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastor in combat?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by mcgyver, Dec 28, 2004.

1. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

I've got an interesting thought, and I'd like to seek some opinons.
    We have many veterans on this board, some of whom I am sure are still reservists.
    Here then is the scenario: When I was active army, I was not a Chaplain, nor a commissioned officer. If I were to be mobilized today as a reservist, though I am an ordained Southern Baptist Minister and pastor of a church; I would be a "shooter", possibly the Weapons Sergeant of an SF detatchment.
    What then are your thoughts: Would you see this as a problem/contradiction/etc., and if the same thing occured to you, what would you do?

2. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

P.S. I praise God that this has not come to pass (yet)!

3. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you do when you go to Reserve time? If you can do it here, you can do it there.

4. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

I am a veteran who served in the US Army as a Military Policeman. If I was called back (not likely) I would serve and would do what I had to do to defend my country. I would not see it as a contradiction, I would ask God to use me in the lives of my fellow soldiers and any of the indigenous personnel and even maybe some of the enemy soldiers that I would have to detain. I would trust God that He would put me where He wanted me.

Bro Tony

5. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I wouldnt see it as a contradiction. If you did go as a chaplain, you'd most likely be unarmed, and who wants to go to war with someone else protecting him?

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never would have a problem being in combat. If that was the place God put me, I would pull the trigger.

I had 3 shots from a .45 in training. Total. If faced with a real thread, I'd learn how to use a M-16 in a hurry.

7. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Same here...having actually retired into "Fleet Reserve" status, I am still available as a non-drilling reservist, should it come to that. Things would have to be in pretty bad shape for that to happen, though.

Yet, if they have need of a combat aircrewman, I would be willing to go back and do the job.

8. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

mcgyver---I'm an ordained SBCer---but wouldn't have the slightest hesitation to "lock and load!"

9. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

To tell the truth....Neither would I. "De Opresso Liber".

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I would have serious issues with that, and would be hestitant to be under a pastor who actively served in that capacity while he was still under the call.
    I love our soldiers, but a pastor is a different "breed". Serving in that manner says to me "I have been chosen by God to lead his flock, but instead I am going to risk my life for my government". Let alone the doubts it will bring to many people when they see someone who is supposed to be serving as a pastor out shooting people instead.
    A pastor represents the ideal of seeking peace and joy and love and not being of this world. You can't turn around and plunge right into the world and the nastiness and controversy that surrounds war...
    Sorry, I can't see how that would be right. I can't imagine it. And we usually protect pastors and priests and nuns and such from such violence. Most people won't raise their hand to them, or even act completely normal...you've seen people who panic around pastors and such...they won't cuss, put out their cigarettes, etc.. There's a reason for that!
    Gina

11. BruceB

BruceB New Member

Mcgyver, are you drilling in an Army Guard SF unit, and holding a slot in a ARNG SF unit? If so, then I would expect you to deploy and serve in that unit in your MOS. Being you are now an ordained minister and IF you are having thoughts about your current slot I think you should check out the Chaplaincy. If you are good with serving in your current slot then be prepared to do your job (and I am sure you are). As a long time ARNG officer and commander of units from detachment up to the Group level I have a problem with Soldiers that don't want to serve in their slot when the baloon goes up for them (of course I realize that is not your case), but be sure before you get the call. Bruce

12. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

When I became a private investigator, one of the first issues is whether or not to carry a weapon. Since it was in my normal training (and I passed the psychological evaluation -- somehow...)

I went through all of the courses and started my range work. After several Sunday's in a row from dark to dark we froze in sub-zero WINDY weather practicing protecting our weapons, shooting at man-shaped targets and practing taking weapons from the bad guys.

After several thousand rounds were expended, my wife asked THE question: "Do you have what it takes to pull that gun out and kill another human being?" Actually, the question irritated me at first, but I began to realize that she was not being "smart" about it, she was serious. As most people don't realize, if you cannot USE your weapon, it will typically be taken away and used on you.

After much though (and prayer), I realized that God had given me this opportunity as a career direction to support my family.

One day in Tulsa, I was faced with the question when a large Muslim decided he didn't like me asking questions about his ex-wife. It was me or him. Luckily, looking down the barrel of a 40 calibre semi-automatic was all it took to back him down.

I realized at that point, that I was not only protecting myself, but also protecting the father and husband of my children and wife. Somebody has to do the job, just as Robycop can tell you about police officers.

When you are called to duty, you pick up your tool of the trade, whether it be a hammer and nails or a Glock and you go to work.

Remember Peter? He was "packing". When he lobbed off the soldier's ear, he obviously had his trusty sword strapped where he could use it for personal protection. Obviously he had a little practice with it also, it is not easy to pick a sword up and whack an ear off.

Just food for thought. . .

If God wants you on the battlefield, you will be handed your weapon and you will do what your country wants and needs without guilt feelings.

13. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Gina, I've seen people crawl up on a pastor's desk to get at their neck when the pastor said something they didn't like.

Sure, most hypocrits put out their smokes and quit cussing when the pastor comes around, but it certainly doesn't stop the ones who don't care what the pastor thinks on a social level.

14. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Thank you for your insights...
    I personally have no problems serving in the MOS that I hold, nor do I have a problem with the possibility of combat. I have already served in combat 3 times to date (I spent 15 years active with the 82abn Div & 1st SOCOM). I will say that it is indeed a great boost to see support such as this from my brothers and sisters.
    To my dear sister Gina L: I appreciate and value your views, and see them as valid. I would however, say that a shepherd, every now and then; must face the wolf in order to defend the flock.
    I was curious as to the response to this question, and from what I've seen so far it seems that we as Baptists have a different outlook than that of some of other denominations.

15. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Thanks for listening anyhow.
    I'd also like to reinforce one more time the point about how people "tend" to protect pastors because I was thinking about it and don't think I was quite clear on why that wouldn't be good in war.
    It wouldn't be good for the same reason a woman or a child or a famous person would have a problem...they'd be distracting. People have an innate desire to protect certain people, and in combat one can't be distracted by trying to provide more protection to one fellow soldier than the others, and would have a much harder time dealing with seeing such a person harmed.
    Ok, I'm done now.
    It's obviously not the most common way of looking at things, but I never claimed to be common. ;)
    Gina

16. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Gina, that is an excellent point, and one that had not occured to me. While I certainly wish to be a good testimony and witness for my Lord anywhere that I go; I would hope that those with whom I might serve would see me as a Christian who is also a competent NCO, and not as a "preacher carrying a rifle".
    Your comment gives me food for thought...Thank You.

17. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Love that phrase!! I would like to think that any peace lover (note my handle!) would be more than ready and willing to take up arms in defense of family, country, and freedom when needed!

This, of course, is in the absence of any word of God to the contrary!

18. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Well my understanding of American Revolution history is that many preachers took up arms and lead thier flocks into battle.

19. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Gina, would you also be opposed to a pastor holding a job as a policeman? They put their lives on the line jast as soldiers do. They also have to be willing to use deadly force if the situation warrants.

What is the difference in a 'regular' member serving and a pastor? Aside from the specific qualifications listed in Timothy for a bishop/elder, all members of God's church are held to the same set of rules and principles. If a member can do it, then so can the pastor.

20. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

The first permanent pastor of the church I now serve was known as "The Fightin' Parson" during the War of 1812. Not only was he the Chaplain for his Unit he was also the Chief of Scouts.