1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastor Joel Osteen

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Bible John, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Amazing.

He is so afraid to use words like sin, disbelief, repentance.

However, I watched him on tv a few weeks ago and was shocked when I heard him use the "r" word.

He is such a shallow, pathetic speaker it amazes me that 30,000 attend Lakewood Church. Can someone tell me why so many people go there?

2. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Because we live in the time when people want their ears tickled. We live in such a me centered generation, that as long as someone stays "positive" and a person can leave the service feeling better about how they are thinking and living, that is what the majority wants. Even if the way they are living is more about themselves then the Lord.

Bro Tony

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...because it's going to "church" without going to Church. Everyone wants to hear how rich God wants them to be, and to think that their very words control God into doing what we say... :rolleyes:

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we should all take a moment just to smile!!!! :smilewinkgrin:

5. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

I will drink my "new wine" to that:laugh: :tongue3:

Bro Tony

6. TheRev

TheRev New Member

The fact that 30,000 people flock to hear him is a solid rebuke to the shallowness of the Christian faith that is so prevalent in our day.

7. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

God has no grandchildren. Joel may not know that.Joel while very charismatic and charming needs to go to Bible college and seminary.While he is very motivational he is no preacher.Preachers preach the Gospel.

I think Marcia has him pegged just right.

8. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Internal contradictions

This is a self-contradictory post. It preaches unity and practices division. By slamming Fundamentalism, it alienates Fundamentalists.

I would ask this poster: What is your basis for unity? Scripture is clear that two cannot walk together except they agree.

9. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

If I bet with you, I would win your dollar. What do you think IQ is? How do you measure it? What does it mean? After all, what is intelligence? One may paint a masterpiece and may not be able to understand calculus or quantum physics. Or, one may be a whiz at Fourier transforms and partial derivatives but he cannot match his clothes. This discussion of Osteen's IQ or intelligence goes nowhere.

After all, God does not hold us accountable for our intelligence. He holds us accountable for our words and deeds. It's what Mr. Osteen is doing and preaching that is questionable.

10. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

Olsteen Troubles Me.

I think that he speaks articulately and presents a positive approach...but I don't see some of his ideas in the Bible as he talks about them.

I believe a preacher does best by expounding on the WORD rather than talking AT the the word. Olsteen speaks good "God" talk, but he rarely highlights sin and repentence as his key points.

Troubling...

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

This is exactly what he needs. It might not change what he says or how he says it, because he does have to profess Jesus as Lord and not just a money machine. But it would be an excellent start.

12. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

mcdirector,

I've just got to ask. Is that a picture of you dancing with your wife?:thumbs:

13. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Do you really think Olsteen is "motivational?"

I find his content syrupy and redundant. I find his style lyrical. He comes across to me as inauthentic and polyannish.

Is he "motivational" because people like upbeat, nonjudgmental platitudes?

I find nothing in his style, content or demeanor that motivates me.

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

He's Motivational -- capital "M" -- in the sense this word is being used today by Motivational Speakers and Seminars (upbeat, "you can do anything," keep positive and all will be well," "the power is within you," "God wants you to succeed and be happy," etc.) that teach people to use techniques to succeed. Not motivational - little "m" -- in the sense you mean.

15. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    mcdirector is a woman :).

16. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

No--its a picture of mcdirector dancin' with her husband!!!

17. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

We aren't dancing at all! We are Baptist after all! What in the world are you guys thinking!?! :tongue3:

We are waiting around at our son's rehearsal dinner for his future MIL to get there. Poor thing got lost and was an hour late. I am adoringly looking at my sweet husband of oh so many years, saying, "breathe dear, breathe."

Now you've got me thinking, if we look like we are dancin', perhaps I need to go look for another pix again . . .

#97 mcdirector, Jun 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2006
  18. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Paul,

I don't think Osteen is motivational in all. The only thing he motivates me to do is change the channel. I do think, though, that he falls into that realm of speaker. He's certainly not a preacher. I don't think he's blatantly fraudulent like some. Of course, I could be wrong.

We have to call what he does something. Perhaps we could come up with a new category.

19. Ciela

Ciela New Member

McDirector,

That is an adorable picture! cute tongue-in-cheek caption--"We aren't dancing... We are Baptist after all!"

Oops, sorry. I seriously completely overlooked where this thread is located--that it is in the Baptist-Only part of the forum.

Ciela

#99 Ciela, Jun 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2006
  20. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

mc,

I'm going to stick to the dancing interpretation. It's much more fun! Besides, I know dancing when I see it!