1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastor needing some help/advice

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Caleb Clark, May 29, 2017.

1. Caleb Clark

Caleb Clark New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello,

I am a pastor serving in a local church right now. I am looking to get my masters degree in either pastoral leadership or pastoral counseling. My goal is to be a lead pastor at a church one day. I am young (23 years old), but am married and have a little one.

My problem is I cannot seem to find a seminary that is affordable for my budget right now. So, I am wondering since I am just wanting to use my degree in a pastoral way, if you would recommend going to a seminary that is accredited only trough a christian organization?

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. CertainSound

CertainSound New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bob Jones Seminary has online Masters degree program

4. Son_of_a_Preacherman

Faith:
    Baptist
    Caleb, I'm going to throw my opinion out there for you and you are free to do with it what you wish. At your age I would seek an accredited degree but I would not go in debt to do get it. I know that many of the seminaries have scholarships, sometimes you just have to dig to find them. With that being said, I am not opposed to a non-accredited degree. My bachelors and masters are accredited and I will probably go non-accredited with my next degree. Like you, I mainly want knowledge more than the degree; plus, I'm staring 50 in the eyes. You seek God's leadership and do what is best for your family. He will take care of the rest.

5. Joseph shall add

While i understand a desire to become educated in the things of the faith one must content for the real faith and knowledge according not to the method of fallen men but of Gods method. Simple said the Author and the finisher of the faith declared this. "I shall have a people whom were not my people and they shall have no need of a teacher for i shall be there teacher". Last chapter of the Old testament if i recall correctly.
    Then in the new testament Jesus states he will send the helper to those whom ask. That would be the Holy Spirit. So if you have the Holy Spirit whom is to instruct you into all matters of faith, truth and knowledge. When you relegate him to nothing and seek man teaching you error. As that is having a god before the living God. God directly teaches his called and elect as he always has. Does not mean not to not have fellowship. But God when he called the prophets taught them directly, When he called the apostles God taught them directly. God does not need men to teach he has the Holy Spirit for that. Any other system is a false system. Faith is learned by sitting at the masters feet. Hearing is done by getting alone with God not men. But most men prefer sin over God and Gods ways. God declared in the last days imposters would come into the church and appear as Godly men. Be looking real pretty dressed to the hilt. All shined up and speak real pretty. But lack any power. Well that right there is the warning. Power is the promised thing that those with the Holy Spirit will have. So the lack of power is a sign of not being called of God and not being lead by God.
    The bible clearly states that we are baptist-ed in Christ Jesus by the Holy Spirit. that when we have come to a loving mature toward Father God that if we ask Jesus for the Holy Spirit of promise that Jesus will ask the Father and the Father will send us the Holy Spirit. Thus it is written in acts if you have the Son you have the Father and if you have the Father you have the son. But you have not because you ask not. And you wonder if you have need of a teacher. All do until they ask. You do not get saved with out repenting and asking. And you do not get the Holy Spirit unless you ask. It must be ask. No asking no getting. God can't lie. But many are teaching against that truth as given by God in his word.
    But you can't content for the faith with out the Holy Spirit whom equips all for the ministry.
    So you seen any Holy Spirit power being administrated in your presents by your pastors.

6. reverist

reverist Member

You kind of went on a soapbox here, and it's a very dangerous one. First, where is the exegesis of that OT passage to back up your claim that it's referring to the Holy Spirit? Where is the exegesis for the claim that the Holy Spirit teaches all matters of faith and truth and knowledge? Next, consider if we didn't need any teachers, why does Paul state God has given the church teachers? Finally, how do you account for disagreement among committed, faithful believers? Are you going to claim that they don't have the Holy Spirit, or just aren't listening to him? Or instead will you claim that the Holy Spirit really is teaching people contradictory claims as true? I normally wouldn't respond, but I believe this kind of teaching to be reckless, and potentially dangerous. We must have a robust ecclesiology!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. reverist

reverist Member

Also, please don't interpret my tone as being harsh or unduly critical; I'm not trying to put anyone down, and hope you have a good day!

8. Vizio

Vizio Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with Son-of-a-preacher man..I would get an accredited degree. Now...what kind of a degree? I would agree that you likely do not want to go into debt to do it. Let's be honest---you won't be making a ton of money in the ministry. It will hurt to go into massive debt to take a position paying little. Do it as you go, if it takes awhile to do it a class or two at a time, you have time at your age.

Now...I just took a position in a Baptist church. I have a Master's of Art's in Theology, and I've been studying theology on my own for 20+ years. I'm not the average 25 year old Seminary grad. I was told by a Seminary prof that I am more knowledgable than most seminary students were, despite a lesser education on paper. Not to brag about myself...but the point is that I had a really difficult time getting churches to give me the time of day because I didn't have that seminary degree. I had a difficult time getting people to even talk to me to see that I was prepared for the ministry.

I am a firm believer in God's sovereignty, and I do believe that God has used my life experiences to prepare me for this ministry. On the other hand, we are told to study and show ourselves approved. If God is leading you to seminary, then do it. It can't help to get more education. I am seriously considering continuing to get my M Div.

9. Joseph shall add

I am glad you took a position at a Baptist Church hope it works out for you and them. Are you going to be working for free or milking the sheep so you do not need to know how to live by faith.

10. Vizio

Vizio Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you mean am I going to be paid? Yes. Of course. Why would I not be?

11. Emile Durks

Emile Durks New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am currently enrolled in the Doctor of Ministry program at Luther Rice College and Seminary. I earned my M Div at Luther Rice and found it to be very helpful and rewarding, however, having completed 12 out of 36 required credit hours for the DMin program, I am finding that the DMin program is no more academically challenging than the M. Div. I would even say that the coursework is also less helpful for practical application to ministry contexts.

The DMin at Luther Rice has not been a complete waste, but I am considering starting over at nearby Palmer Seminary. Palmer is an ATS school and has a better academic reputation than Luther Rice. I have repeatedly read articles and posts of individuals regarding Luther Rice as a diploma mill, though I would disagree with that sentiment. Though I would like to have something to show for the DMin coursework I have completed thus far, I would much rather earn a DMin from an institution where I can be stretched academically/theologically as well as receive the degree from a more reputable institution.

Can anyone provide any insight on the reputations of Palmer Theological and Luther Rice?

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LR is not a diploma mill. Largely it is academic snobs who make such accusations. I started out there as we had an extension at my church in the day. I switched to Liberty as they had the regional accreditation and accepted credits from LR.

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ALL christians have the Holy Spirit, for if one does not, not saved!