1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastor of WHO?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by latterrain77, Aug 27, 2003.

1. latterrain77

latterrain77 New Member

While engaged in a debate about divorce on another thread, a Pastor who debated against my NO DIVORCE view made a suggestion (I think) that piqued some thought; not about divorce but about this following question:

Is a Pastor's obligations under 1 Tim. 3 strictly limited to the congregation that he is employed by? Or, do the 1 Tim. 3 requirements for a Pastor's service extend to the ENTIRE body wherever it may be? Does a pastor's function begin and end at the front door of his church? Thanks! [​IMG] latterrain77

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I assume you are talking about me ... [​IMG]

I think a pastor's responsibility is to "his people," i.e, the one's that God allotted to his charge (1 Peter 5:2-3). He is not their God, but he does exercise oversight for the flock according to God's will, meaning that God has ordained such an oversight and shepherding (Acts 20:28; 1 Peter 5:1-3). In a forum such as this, I am nobody's pastor. As I previously stated, the only reason "Pastor" is on the front of my name is because "Larry" was already taken.

So no, a pastor's responsibility is not over the entire body, but to the flock that God has given him and to the community in which he lives.

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    latterrain, would you clarify whom or what you mean by the "ENTIRE body"? IOW, do you mean it in the sense of the body of Christ as all the saved? or the body as everyone who attends whether or not they are members? or do you have something else in mind? I'm not sure that I'm clear on your question.

4. latterrain77

latterrain77 New Member

Hi Larry. Thank you for the reply. [​IMG] Yes, I hear you. In one sense, I understand your position that a pastor's specific congregation where he works is his immediate obligation. However, in another sense, maybe it's more.

The bigger question is related to the specifics of 1 Tim. 3 itself. Do these requirements (let's forget the title "pastor" for the moment) function ONLY within the congregation where a pastor is employed or, do they continue and extend beyond that immediate congregation? Can these 1 Tim. 3 "behaviors" be abandoned by a pastor outside the church doors or, with others NOT in the congregation that he serves?

For example, look at 1 Tim. 3: 5. Is this "church of GOD" only the congregation where employed? Or, is the "church of GOD" more? And what about 1 Tim. 3: 7? Is the phrase "good report without" a clue that the 1 Tim. 3 standards go BEYOND the immediate congregation? And is Titus 1 (particularly verses 9-13) suggesting that the pastor office extends beyond the immediate congregation?

I haven't made up my mind either way (that is why I asked the question in this thread). But the thought caught my attention as a side issue in our previous dialogue, though unrelated to the topic of that other thread concerning divorce. Thanks Larry! latterrain77

5. latterrain77

latterrain77 New Member

Hi rlVaughn. Thank you for the question. You said; "latterrain, would you clarify whom or what you mean by the "ENTIRE body"?" I mean those who are saved everywhere and anywhere. I'm wondering if a pastor's function goes out to ALL of these or ONLY to those by whom he is employed in the congregation that he serves. Thanks rlVaughn! [​IMG] latterrain77

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

No, those requirement continue. He is to have a good reputation with outsiders, as 1 Tim 3 says.

My point is that I have no authority over member's of another church. They might learn from my teaching somehow, but their loyalties and accountability lie with their own church, particularly with their own pastor.

I have a duty to outsiders to be of good reputation and to evangelize them. But I am not the "pastor" of people who are members of another church.

7. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I agree Pastor Larry. When someone from another church comes to my Pastor for advice. The first thing he does is ask if that person has talked to his own pastor.

Sometimes another pastor will send someone to my pastor for council; but if he has not, my pastor does not have the authority or responsibility to counsel him.

8. latterrain77

latterrain77 New Member

Hi Larry and Sue. Thank you for the replies. They make sense. Is it fair to say that while the "title" of pastor may not go beyond the church doors (or to others outside of the congregation), the behavior of the pastor as per 1 Tim. 3 does? If so, then what's the difference if he's called "pastor" by the outside world if the "pastor" requirements follow him anyway? In other words; don't actions speak louder than words? (so to speak). Thanks! [​IMG] latterrain77