1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastor Ordination

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShagNappy, Feb 3, 2014.

1. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

Those who are ordained, I would like to hear about your experiences being ordained. I am a senior at LRU in the BA of Ministry program and one of the classes I am taking this semester is Pastoral Work. One of the books assigned is The Effective Pastor by Robert C. Anderson. Chapter 4 is about Ordination. He has some interesting things to say and I wonder how they meet up with real life in the average Baptist church.

What sort of process did you go through? How long did it last?

He also mentions Ordination is being skipped by many people entering ministry these days. Is this something happening in Baptist churches?

2. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was ordained as a deacon, then years later I was licensed to the Gospel ministry. I'm not sure if the deacon ordination counts for your question.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I refrained from pursuing ordination until I had finished seminary because of my beliefs concerning the qualifications for being a pastor.

As for my process, I first was licensed (prior to seminary) to allow a time of review and consideration by my home church. Then, after seminary, I submitted a formal request to be considered for ordination by the deacons and pastoral staff of my home church. Once they approved my entry into the process the senior pastor of the church gave me a list of things to do. They included:
    1. Read and review several key texts.
    2. Write a formal position paper on several key Baptist doctrines.
    3. Agree or disagree with a series of statements about foundational Christian doctrines.
    4. Submit to a formal ordination council at my church.

After I completed these things, I was ordained in an evening service at my home church. It was quite wonderful. For my ordination council we invited all the deacons and pastoral staff as well as several past staff that had influenced my life and some leaders from other churches in the area. My council was rigorous. A few softballs, but I requested it be rigorous.

[quote-ShagNappy]He also mentions Ordination is being skipped by many people entering ministry these days. Is this something happening in Baptist churches?[/QUOTE]

Some are, the larger issue is how many are entering into pastoral ministry with considering any training. Especially in large and mega-churches, you'll find most pastoral staff lack seminary and advanced theological training. As a result they might be fine programmers and event coordinators but do not have adequate skills for deeper things of ministry. Its a pretty big issue.

That said, I am not entirely convinced seminary is training new ministers well at all. When we've gone to hire new staff, pastoral staff specifically, we know we have about 4 to 6 months of deprogramming from seminary and actual training at what it takes to get ministry done. (This is a side trail but helpful)

Anyhoo, I think ordination is important for a pastor.

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I requested ordination from our home church (not baptist by name) with the understanding I felt it should be by our church men. Unknown to me a friend had requested ordination under the same condition.

Ultimately the church men met with both of us after we had submitted a doctrinal statement. At the meeting the pastor, the assistant, and deacons (in that church more like elders doing elder deacon duties) met with us, ask questions as they pleased. Mostly about our call and some clarifications. My friend grew up in the church and I was saved through the churches ministry so we were well known to all present.

It was good to know Godly men that really knew me agreed I should go forward with their blessing.