1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pastor pledging not to change beliefs

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by rlvaughn, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a Traditionalist in the SBC I can say churches should have a clear statement of faith. Such should be presented to perspective candidates for pastor and then fully question them on each portion of the statement. The problem is there is no real discipleship in churches to know how to handle these things.

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you not see Spurgeon addressed this?

It is not unethical to change one's belief, it is unethical to not resign:

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You shouldn't judge differently!

Spurgeon continues:

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To be fair, converting to another religion secretly is not quite the same as changing your mind on soteriology.

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, apparently Juggernaut and Kalee are Hindu gods.

But did you keep reading?

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but I don't think its a fair comparison, even on principle. The qualitative difference is just too large. I don't think you have to go to an analogy with another religion to make the same point.

If a person is hired to be a Calvinist, then sure, changing his mind is going to create a conflict, and he should probably step down in an orderly manner. Same goes for the Arminian (or whatever term a person prefers).

7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I did.

First, I am not bound to believe it, just because Spurgeon said so (though I have a great deal of respect for him).

Second, I wrote, "Some people think it is a matter of integrity for this preacher to step down," not whether or not I agreed with it. Ultimately I think it rests on exactly what we are talking about changing (i.e., how fundamental an issue it is). In the case of the preacher who has slunk in under cover and then reveals himself, stepping down might be too good for him to get by with. In the case of a preacher who has served well over many years, I think it should be dealt with differently. But, yes, a fundamental change should be stated honestly and then the preacher should move on.

The latter part of my statement deals with our own inconsistency. If a "Traditionalist" takes a "Calvinist" church, the Calvinist is likely to rail against it. If a "Calvinist" takes a "Traditionalist" church, the Traditionalist is likely to rail against. If a Charismatic takes over a Baptist church we will cry to high heaven, but what if a Baptist takes over a Charismatic church? Not consistent, but we all know it happens.

What about Eddie Lyons leading High Street Baptist Church into the Southern Baptist Convention? Should integrity have caused him to resign long before he led his church in that direction? What about Ronnie Floyd's aggressive strategy to get otherwise-affiliated churches into the Southern Baptist Convention? Should pastors resign their churches rather than lead them into the Convention?

8. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SBC Today posted another interesting article about the pledge statement, Pastor Search Team Questions Already Helping. It is a curious read, and not nearly as interesting now that the comments have been closed and removed.

In it the author declares he will give "a brief testimony showing how effective this questionnaire can be" and how "the practical use of the Questionnaire" helped a church avoid calling a "young, label-avoiding Calvinist." Yet the article does not give any testimony of how the questionnaire was used, other than mentioning that the association's Director of Missions shared a download of the file with the pastor search committee. The bulk of the article is the interaction between the DOM and the candidate.