1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastor search committee

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you were on a pastor search committee would you consider a person whose resume shows they do not stay at a church over 18 to 24 months?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure, young pastors may only get small churches who have a history of getting rid of pastors in very short periods of time. These are usually small rural churches that run no more than 50 or so. Usually family run and often become threatened by a young guy who begins to obtain influence.

Resume's almost never speak to the character of the person.

On the flip side a pastor who's resume shows longevity may be a nightmare for a church. Proper investigation is always needed.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's right.

Back in the day, in the rural churches where I ministered in Central Texas, there were some churches that started getting nervous if I pastor stuck around for more than a year or so. They assumed something was wrong with him that no one else wanted him, or that there was something underhanded going on. It was weird and revealed how deeply unhealthy some of the congregations were. Fortunately, I did not end up in one of those churches, but I knew several young men who did. One of the tactics my friend experienced was that the treasurer would "forget" to pay you. After going without several paychecks (which put him into some financial distress), he asked about his checks. He was immediately accusing of being there "for the money" (all $125/week of it). My friend found out that they had done the same thing to the previous few pastors after about a year. The others ones quit, but my friend decided to tough it out and stay, but taking a small loan from some relatives to help pay the bills. After about three months (!), they finally remembered to pay him all of the back pay and he was allowed to stay for another year.

Yes, quite true. They should be a starting place for a conversation about previous experience.

Great wisdom, discernment and prayer are required for a pastor search committee to do their job well. They must not be afraid to ask searching questions and not only pay attention to the answers, but the attitude in which they are given. It is a good thing when a pastoral candidate does not have a pat answer for everything that is asked, but takes the time to listen, give reasoned and wise responses, and display humility about what he may or may not know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is so many factors involved, that a blanket yes or no can't be given. But in general, I agree with Mitch.

Now excuse me, I have to wash the vomit out of my mouth ;)

5. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is very sad.
    Geoff Thomas has just retired from the Pastorate of Alfred St. Baptist Church in Aberystwyth, Wales, having completed 50 years straight from seminary. He was tremendously used by God, especially in the salvation and mentoring of University students..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1