1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pastor Smokes?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jedi Knight, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Who is NOT talking about pastors??????

2. Matt22:37-39

Matt22:37-39 New Member

Follow the thread and you will see

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You follow the thread. That's why you can't point out who is off topic.

Make a point and stop preaching down to everybody.

Make a point. Make an argument. Be willing to have your points scrutinized and obliterated if they are weak- and, in my opinion, they have BEEN weak.

This is a debate site. Not a "Just take my word for it I am right" site.

4. Matt22:37-39

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I am responding to YOUR arguments which have NOTHING to do with pastors!

Your arguments have to do with health issues, addiction and other things that ARE NOT EXCLUSIVE TO PASTORS!

YOU, sir, are the one who strayed.

I was pointing out that your arguments are flawed.

There are people who smoke who are not addicted to it.

There are people who smoke who have NO adverse health effects. Some live healthily into their 90's.

God made tobacco and if you use it responsibly with a thankful heart it CAN bring glory to God and be beneficial.

These are called REFUTATIONS.

They refute your arguments.

Now you are supposed to respond to my refutations.

Doing so makes this a... D E B A T E.

That is how debate works.

This is a... D E B A T E site.

Now it is your turn.

6. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I heard Madonna the "singer" use this to justify herself.

7. Matt22:37-39

LUKE just so you know I DON'T MAJOR ON MINORS...You may want to deal with the EXCEPTIONS and I can see why as that keeps you being able to argue all day long...I like to deal with the RULE, the FACTS, the TRUTH...reality, common sense.

Now my friend if we were talking drink I might agree, because in all my 50 years I never knew one person who smoked once a week....you examples are unrealistic and futile at best. So I think you will find I'm not one to play games and argue with fools. Now if you got something with substance to it, I'd be more than willing to exchange thoughts.

In the mean time think on these verses about a pastor drinking, smoking or overeating etc.

BTW, I'm a woman...hey it's bad enough we have to worry about things people make up about us why give them any ammunition at all?...just saying...;)

1 Thess 5:9 Quench not the Spirit. 20 Despise not prophesying. 21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. 22 Abstain from all appearance of evil. 23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Cor 10: 23 All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify. 24 Let no one seek his own good, but that of his neighbor. 25 Eat anything that is sold in the meat market without asking questions for conscience' sake ; 26 FOR THE EARTH IS THE LORD'S, AND ALL IT CONTAINS. 27 If one of the unbelievers invites you and you want to go, eat anything that is set before you without asking questions for conscience' sake. 28 But if anyone says to you, "This is meat sacrificed to idols," do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for conscience' sake; 29 I mean not your own conscience, but the other man's; for why is my freedom judged by another's conscience ? 30 If I partake with thankfulness, why am I slandered concerning that for which I give thanks ? 31 Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give no offense either to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God ; 33 just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit but the profit of the many, so that they may be saved.

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

How do you think these verses support your case.'

And what does you being a woman have to do with anything in this discussion?

And did you just call me a fool?

9. Matt22:37-39

You called me a sir or something to that effect earlier.

And please, quit quoting me and wasting bandwidth and space and it is just plain messy, just say what you have to under me, it should be obvious to others who you are talking to, or juts use my name then your response.

that alone tells me what I'm dealing with...;)...I've been on forums long enough to read the signs...you won't last long with me.

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Matthew 15: KJB

11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

And a woman, too.

11. JimmyH

JimmyH New Member

I've been smoking for 50 years. Gave up cigarettes 13 years ago and only smoke tobacco pipes now, but I smoke often. I was listening to J.Vernon McGee not long ago, and he said something like ' I'm not saying smoking is a sin, but it will hurt your witness.'

That is one of the ways that I am convicted of this behavior. I would like to quit and a day doesn't go by when I don't think on it. I have tried more than a few times but so far I haven't been able.

I would find it hard to accept if my pastor smoked. He is a Spirit filled preacher but he does have his faults, as we all do. Overeating appears, from his weight, to be one of his besetting sins. That is not a deal breaker for me.

My pastor, the deacons, and my brothers and sisters in the Lord accept me, my tobacco pipe smoking, and my being heavily tattooed. I guess we must all work out our own salvation with reverence.

12. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Has no one ever heard of Holy Smoke?

13. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke so no I wouldn't want a pastor who smokes. But that is just me. I don't consider it a sin. I can remember when the deacons used to all go smoke on the church steps between Sunday School and Preaching. :D So not a sin at all.

However, one of my (grown) kids asked me the other day what would happen if they told me they had been smoking cigarettes. I told them that if they came in stinking like cigarettes I'd make 'em sleep on the porch! :D Other than that, if they were willing to take the health risk, what they did away from my house was not my concern. Talk to God about it.

14. JimmyH

JimmyH New Member

One more thought occurred to me. The once famous pastor Dr. Donald Gray Barnhouse preached a sermon I heard on tape. He was referencing drinking liquor but this could be applied to smoking.

He said when someone asks him if he wants a drink he thinks of his body as the temple of the Holy Spirit and asks,"Holy Spirit, would you like a slug of liquor?"

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I appreciate anybody who wants to be what they believe the Lord wants them to be.

But I think part of that should entail this: Is this standard REALLY what the Lord wants or is it just something I grew up with or some tradition my church has held to for a long time?

A willingness to examine one's standards is PART of wanting to be what the Lord wants you to be.

Would the Holy Spirit take a slug of liquor? Well, that's a very silly question. He is SPIRIT. He would not drink ANYTHING, nor eat ANYTHING, nor put on deodorant, nor wear clothes, etc, etc, etc...

A better question would be, "Does the Holy Spirit APPROVE of ME doing it?"

That question has clear biblical answers. The Bible, WRITTEN BY THE HOLY SPIRIT, commends the responsible consumption of alcohol. So long as one enjoys it carefully it is considered a good thing in the Word of God.

That is the rule for all things- whether liquor, tobacco or cholesterol. Enjoy these things RESPONSIBLY without becoming addicted to them, etc...

16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You may be new here. I am not.

The quote feature exists for a reason on this site.

MOST of us use it.

Quoting an argument the opponent employs and responding to it, then quoting the next argument and responding to it is the way MOST of us debate on this... D E B A T E site.

17. Born Again

Born Again Member

I would not.

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Why not?

_______

19. Born Again

Born Again Member

Why should I want to?

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member