1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastoral Fellowships

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by PastorP, Sep 10, 2013.

1. PastorP

PastorP New Member

About 5 years ago when I began planting, I was contacted by someone who had a vision to start a Pastoral Fellowship. I never knew how he got my number, but I did not join right away. This person was still very persistant over the years in keeping in contact with me and inviting me to be a part of this fellowship. The fellowship itself has grown to be very large numerically with all kinds of opportunity for Pastoral growth. With the ministry that I planted being in transition and with my desired longing for Pastoral encouragement, I recentlydecided to participate in fellowship opportunities. Immediately I was offered to carry out duties as an overseer for a specific district which apparently no one has consistently stepped up to assume. The duties includes contacting other Pastors within the assigned district and helping to plan monthly and quarterly opportunities for those same Pastors. When I began to look at the manual which lists more of the duties and responsibilities, I began to feel a little nausea in the stomach. The responsbilites are pretty much like having another job. I am in the middle years of my life. I have enough mid-life crisis already :). I don't want another thing to add to it. So my conflict is this:

If I choose not to carry on in this position, I feel as though I could miss out on opportunites to obtain wisdom and knowlege with other awesome servants. Who's is to say I will have another opportunity like this. I already feel somewhat favored that I was even thought of to carry out such responsibilities. I still have much work to do with my own ministry....on the other hand, I am a type of person that when I commit to something, I am will to go all out and take it to the next level in order to be a blessing...just not sure if I want to commit to this...

I am in much prayer for direction, but I would appreciate the spiritual input of others on this, especially if you have been in similar situations. Thanks in advance....

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In our county, there is an evangelical minister's fellowship where the pastors get together once a month for breakfast, prayer, encouragement and teaching. A different church hosts it each month and they will be in charge of breakfast and any teaching/encouraging/whatever they want to do. In some cases, a pastor has decided to keep it to just a long prayer time. It's been great for my husband and other pastors I know - and it doesn't take an inordinate amount of time to implement! What you mentioned sounds like a LOT of extra work that while it may be good, would not be something my husband or the other pastors at our church would be able to do. They need to focus on their own flock and ministry - and family as well!! I can understand your frustration!

3. Gib

Gib Active Member

We do something similar to this. Our church is part of an association. The area pastor's get together once a month for lunch and usually have a guest pastor come and speak.

Certainly does. Our association has 2 full-time staff members. The Director of Missions does much of the work you are describing PastorP and he's always busy. If you were to do both, your time management would be put to the test. Praying for you. :thumbsup:

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

PastorP,

From what you say about yourself and the position, my advice would be to run far, far away.

Pastoring is hard enough without trying to be someone you are not.

Just as I see it.

Blessings!

5. PastorP

PastorP New Member

UPDATE
    Yesterday evening, I went ahead and made 2 calls. One to the person that is over the fellowship (left message on his voice mail), and another one to the person that was directly over me (a seasoned Pastor). I shared my concerns and why I felt I could not be a part of the Fellowship. Afterwards, I felt so relieved. My two children thought I was going crazy cause all night I kept singing "I'm am free, praise the Lord I'm free. No longer bound, no more chains holding me." LOL..thanks again for your spiritual input....

...by the way, the season Pastor seemed to understand completly and told me that he would share the info with the person in charge who kept trying to reach me and text me later that night...I felt in my spirit I did the right thing in not responding since I already left him a text...

....now I can continue to focus freely on the other things that God has called me to...

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

:thumbsup::wavey::praying:

7. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

That's a good decision! It sounds like there was more burden than benefit and to me that others were making attempt to unload a lot on you or anyone willing!

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

You don't have to be in leadership in the group. But, that does not mean that you cannot be apart of the group.

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

You have your answer.

Hallelujah!!

10. Herald

Herald New Member

Good for you! It is okay to get together with other pastors for fellowship and prayer, but what you are describing would be too much of a burden for most pastors. Tell me a pastor who has copious amounts of free time on his schedule!

I do pray that Lord provides you fellowship and refreshment for your soul.