1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastoral/Parishoner Relations

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by songbird61, Dec 6, 2005.

1. songbird61

songbird61 New Member

I have something I would like to put before this forum. The Pastor of my church spoke at a meeting that was held for our members this past Saturday. He made what I considered some very disturbing remarks. He admitted that if one of his parishoners were to come to him in confidence about another member he would immediately go to that member and tell them because he was a "tattle-tale" and he would just tell it. I have since learned that another member went to our Pastor in confidence on a problem and the following Sunday he used it as a text for his sermon, even calling the person out. This to me is not appropiate behavior for a Pastor. What you say to your Pastor should be as sacred as what you say to God. It should never go from his ears to his lips unless he is taking it to the Lord on your behalf. How can he set an example for his church if he is perpetuating gossip, and breaking confidences? :confused: What do You all think?

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

You should go talk to your pastor and ask him to talk with you about it.

btw,
    what is an Acme MB church? Im just eaten up with curiousity. [​IMG]

3. songbird61

songbird61 New Member

Acme Missionary Baptist Church [​IMG]

4. songbird61

songbird61 New Member

But I'm afraid that anything I say to him might wind up in the church bulletin. This is not a word of mouth occurence this is him stating his own actions.

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

6. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I would speak with the pastor regarding this matter. Tell him that his lack of discretion has caused you to think twice about taking him into your confidence. It sounds like what he has done is what we call gossip. Certainly, it should never be spoken about from the pulpit. It sounds like he hasn't studied Matthew 18.

The pastor is obligated to keep your confidence unless you are endangering yourself of others.

7. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

The pastor is human and has made a big time human error.....gossip. First pray about what you should do to handle the situation and go from there.