1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastoral qualification with divorced wife

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Brainerd1985, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Brainerd1985

Brainerd1985 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am interested in getting some feedback on an issue I have been wrestling with recently. I am a 34 year old seminarian who feels called to the pastorate and just recently got married. My wife had been previously married and then unbiblically divorced 5 years ago when she was not a believer. Normally I would never marry someone who has been married before because of the adultery it would portend but in this case I met her after her husband had passed away, so I didn't feel as though there were any biblical reason to prevent us from marrying since she couldn't be an adulterer since her husband was no longer alive. The Godly woman she has grown into since that terrible time is what I love about her, and so I see her divorce as just a terrible sin in her life (one she has confessed, repented of, and asked forgiveness for) that shouldn't necessarily stain her witness for the rest of her life. She has made reconciliation with her husband's family and they are on excellent terms with one another as well now. She also enjoys the affirmation and respect of the members of our church and has what I would consider as a reputation above reproach.
    All of that to say that since we are now married I am wondering how much understanding any potential church might show in considering our situation. I understand some churches won't want to hire me just because it's easier not to mess with, but I want to make sure I am biblically justified in continuing to pursue my call to ministry. If I truly felt like I disqualified myself in this marriage then I would not pursue what I feel like is my calling, but I also realize that Satan can accuse us falesly at many points. I also realize that asking this question after the fact isn't as good as asking it before the fact, but I still think the question is worth discussing. Thanks for the replies!

2. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like you know the answer.

I see no problems here according to Romans 7.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you are qualified to be a pastor and she will make a wonderful pastor's wife.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course you’ll meet those who want to make trouble over the issue.

Settle it in your own mind and make a decision about how you may or may not present the issue when you candidate for a position.

Hidden issues may haunt you in the future.

Rob