1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastors and degrees

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Jesus is Lord, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Bobby Hamilton

Bobby Hamilton New Member

What would Plato say about that?

2. Bobby Hamilton

Taking the most watered down definition of Rhetoric, of course Paul (and Jesus) used it. Now how in depth and to what extent they used it is probably something that is up for debate.

But Paul wasn't just going to walk right into any city (unless the aid of the Holy Spirit was for that purpose alone) and just turn people to Christ. If he was going to do that, he would've spent very little time in prison, and we all know that isn't true.

The question would be where was Paul more persuasive? In his writings, or in his verbal teachings?

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who knows? My guess is that he was so skilled of a communicator that he could have debated most anyone with great skill and won but that is not what living for Jesus is all about.

4. Bobby Hamilton

Paul spent a lot of time in Prison. I'd say his effectiveness came more about from his writings. I'm not saying that guy couldn't speak, but he seemed to be much more useful when he was using the likes of Timothy, Epaphroditus (SP?), etc to help spread the word while he was ministering in prison and sending letters to the Church.

Right now I'm teaching the teens in my Church and we're working our way through Phillipians. Some great, great stuff for teens.

#104 Bobby Hamilton, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2012
  5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good for you! Those teens will appreciate it a lot more later than they do now. They are the next generation of leaders. The gurus and religious politicians have been around too long.