1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastors, Evangelists and Ordination

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Jim Ward, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Jim Ward

Jim Ward New Member

A poll by Dr Bob that I just read got me to thinking.

When one is ordained to the ministry, does he have to go through Bible school of some kind first or can (or maybe should) he be ordained through his local Church?

If one felt the call of God to be an Evangelist, should he be ordained, and if so, please apply the previous question.

What about a divorced man? Can he be a Pastor or an Evangelist?

What about mail order ordination. Would any of you pastors allow a man to fill your pulpit who was ordained that way and si such an ordination valid?

What makes an ordination valid?

I'm sure I'll have more, but these will do for now.

Jim

2. vaspers

vaspers New Member

In Timothy, Paul refers to laying on of hands, a spiritual gift imparted to Timothy (not sure which one), and this seems to indicate some sort of official inititation or ceremony...

...but is it "ordination"? Where does that word come from? If "ordination" is Biblical, why don't they lay hands on them and impart a spiritual gift? Or do they?

There is so much tradition in churches that many think are clear Biblical teachings, but really are absolutely not, yet may still be "acceptable" and not really "anti-biblical".

Like "altar calls," pews, hymnals, the word "trinity" and "God the Son," claiming that apostles and prophets passed away when the Bible was completed--but evangelists, pastors, and teachers still function today, claiming that laying hands on sick people and ministering healing or casting out unclean spirits is "charismatic" (was Jesus "charismatic"???), saying that a "church" means only a "church building" and no other type of assembly is valid, saying only one version of the Bible is blessed by God and all others are satanic, etc.

Good luck trying to swim through all the traditions and distortions.

I'm studying "pastor," "elder," "deacon," "bishop", etc. right now, too, using Strongs Concordance and W.E. Vines' Expository Dictionary.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Ordination is the recognition of the local church that a man demonstrates the gifts and character necessary for the office of pastor/overseer/elder in the local church. It cannot legitimately be done by any body other than a local church.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A local church MAY ordain a man who is not formally trained (college/seminary) but they surely should not ordain one who is not trained in the Word and proven in the crucible of life to be of sterling character.

5. atestring

atestring New Member

What about a denomination that has bishops or presbryters that ordain but not in the local church? There are many great pastors and Evangelist that are ordained in their denomination bu not by their local church.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But we are in a BAPTIST debate forum, dealing with BAPTIST churches. No bishops, presbryters, et al around, and certainly not doing the ordaining.

I hope! Baptist distinctives would question whether it is a "baptist" if they had that kind of hierarchial church government!

7. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not keen on the word 'ordination', but accepting it as the setting apart of someone to be pastor I belive it should be a local church responsibility.

There is merit, and a degree of wisdom, in involving a local baptist association in the process as it can help clarify the gifts/ability of the person involved. The wise spiritual council of experienced pastors and other mature christians from other fellowships should not be ignored.

It is a mistake for a college or an association to appoint/ordain a pastor without the positive support of the candidate's home church.

If they do not recognise his pastoral gifts .. do they really exist? With that no local church should support the ordination of anyone they would not be prepared to have as their own pastor. Indeed, in all probability i would think that a man should be an elder or deacon in his church prior to any pastoral role being given.

Similarly, if you feel the call to be an evangelist, surely the local church should see that call evidenced in the life of the person and ordain accordingly.

In no way does this decry the value of good college training .. education is valuble and should be saught on a lifetime basis to enhance the ministry of any pastor (or any christian for that matter)

Regards
    Bob

8. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As for mail order ordination ??? you jest .. not worth the paper it's printed on. (as distinct from off campus or distance ed. type colllege study) ..
    could have me as the "mail-order Dr Bob"

truly frightening.