1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastors How Do You Recognize Elders?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by baptist4u, Feb 28, 2003.

1. baptist4u

baptist4u New Member

My Church would like to ordain me as an elder. The one tradition that does not set well with me is that the deacons are part of the presbytery. What is your opinion and why.

2. rufus

rufus New Member

I believe in Church Authority. Therefore, the ordaining church has the authority to seat or not to seat members of the presbytery.

See I Timothy 3.

rufus [​IMG]

3. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

By this do you mean that the deacons are also considered elders, that the deacons have some sort of ruling authority within the church?

If that is the case there is a big problem. Deacons are servants. Theirs is a ministry of service not of authority, administration, and decision making.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe a non-ordained man should sit on a counsel for ordaining a man. That should be reserved for those already having been trained, called and recognized in the ministry.

I do have a layman's signature on my ordination certificate, as he was accepted in the counsel, but he opted NOT to actually be involved in the cermonial laying on of hands.

5. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the South, it is common that deacons be ordained by the laying on of hands (though it is perhaps becoming less common). Anyway, in most of these churches, deacons are considered ordained men and therefore are invited to sit on presbyteries that are gathered to ordain an elder/elders. Some traditions that ordain deacons by the laying on of hands do not invite them to sit on councils for ordaining elders, but do invite them if it is deacons to be ordained.

6. baptist4u

baptist4u New Member

By this do you mean that the deacons are also considered elders, that the deacons have some sort of ruling authority within the church?

If that is the case there is a big problem. Deacons are servants. Theirs is a ministry of service not of authority, administration, and decision making.
    </font>[/QUOTE]

7. baptist4u

baptist4u New Member

to bibleboy yes we have deacon rule at my church and that is a great problem that we are trying to change that is why i have the problem with the deacons setting on the presbytery.

8. BM

BM New Member

I'm new at some of these things ...(so look over me)... but just what is an elder in the church? [​IMG]