1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pastor's wife. Calling or not?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sapper Woody, Nov 30, 2013.

1. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Good grief! This whole thread on par with the "Little Drummer" boy being a pagan song thread.

2. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

This is a debate forum. It's not supposed to be an evangelistic tool (although that could be a nice side effect). So, if someone wants to debate something like this, that's what this place is for. Of someone wanted to debate whether or not you should wear socks with sandals, they could debate that.

My point is, not every discussion has to be about something life changing, or about some huge doctrinal diversity. Sometimes it's interesting to debate the small things which don't change your theology. We all learn from the debate, either way. At a minimum, we all learn different people's viewpoints.

One of my pet peeves is someone coming into a discussion and adding nothing to the discussion, just calling the discussion meaningless or stupid. Who cares? You don't want to contribute, then don't. If you haven't noticed, the whole board is more or less meaningless. It's really more of a fellowship and entertainment than anything. Yes, you can learn and get questions answered. But it's more a form of educational entertainment than anything.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the resident liberals want to turn this thread into a women should be pastors thing? Really?

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, you know women are just not called to be a wife or a pastor's wife but are definitely called to be pastors. If a woman feels called to be a pastor's wife, she's misunderstanding. They do that sometimes.

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jimmy Draper, 2011 SWBTS Jesse and Fannie Northcutt Lecture on Preaching and Pastoral Ministries:

"Every pastor’s wife should sense the call of God to join him in ministry. Carol Ann sensed the call of God on her life before we even met! God has a plan for every believer...as He did in the Scripture. He still sets some apart for strategic leadership."

6. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I have participated and offered commentary. But, I still think your premise is ignorant and those twisting your opinion into a woman's suppressed call to be be a pastor is worse than ignorant. Not everything has to have a quotable verse to be note worthy. My wife sensed God's gentle voice long before she married me. Now, you and others come along and say this just isn't so based on what? You have offered no real debate worthy reasons. You have only offered your opinion.

#26 sag38, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2013
  7. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

In a discussion such as this we will surely meet at an impasse. As you say, not everything has to have a quotable verse to be noteworthy. And in this case, all we have is experience to guide us. Our opinions, therefore, will be based on these experiences. And all we will have to offer are these experiences and our personal anecdotes that support our opinions.

I see things one way, based on experience and intellectual conclusion. You see them differently, based on the same thing.

In an area such as this, while I believe there is no reason a woman (unmarried) should declare that she's been called to be a pastor's wife, I don't think it is sin, just unwise. This is an area that I believe that we can truly agree to disagree.

And I apologize for my misplaced rant. I read this forum on my phone and didn't realize you were the same person that was responding earlier.

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Said ministry, not pastor. There are churches that are not open to women doing much else in the church except being a wife. My suggestion is that maybe she is feeling called to serve, say in music or with youth, but her tradition doesn't have an avenue for her to serve in that capacity, so she seeking a way to serve that fits in her churches tradition. I grew up IFB, saw this happen quite a bit. It was just a suggestion, not anything more.

9. Ebenezer

Ebenezer New Member
    Site Supporter

A Calling to be a pastor's wife?

Putting all personal opinions aside, show anywhere in the New Testament or Old for that matter, where God calls a woman to be anyone's wife? Just one verse will do as a starting place. The gift for the ministry are found in Ephesians 4:10, 11 and "God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers..." 1 Corinthians 12:28, but no where in either list does God mention anything about a gift or a calling to be a pastor's wife. Someone made that up! Or like a southern preacher said, "You must of got that out of the Bible, cause it show ain't in there now!"

10. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor's wife is not a calling.

Calling is a word that is way overused in our current christian context.

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    think the Lord creates and prepares the appropiate helpmate for the man of God, regardless what His calling may be!

problem is the the hard headed man many times refuses to see her "gifts and talents!"

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.toledoblade.com/Religion/2011/05/28/Author-took-haphazard-route-to-God.html

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I always knew my husband was going to be a pastor from before I married him. When he came to me 10 years ago all nervous and said "What do you think of me becoming a pastor?", my answer was "Oh so THAT is how it's going to happen!" I never told him what I knew. :) It's an interesting change from being a computer engineer in the audio industry!

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God's priiority is the marriage, so he would NOT have wife 'called as a pastor wife" leave him if he was doing missionary work, he would just change her to be now 'called a missionary wife!"