1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patriotism prevails over protest

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by JamieinNH, Apr 22, 2007.

1. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Her heart was breaking, until the man with the flag restored Monika McGillicuddy's faith.

It was last Wednesday, and the town of Hampstead was saying goodbye to one of its beloved sons, Army Capt. Jonathan Grassbaugh, who was killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq on April 8.

The funeral for the 25-year-old Army Ranger was being held at St. Anne Catholic Church.

Just down the street, at the real estate office where she works, McGillicuddy noticed the protesters on the corner.

Three members of a Topeka, Kan., organization that calls itself the Westboro Baptist Church were there, their signs shocking. The group uses extreme language and Biblical references to claim that a variety of events -- from the death of soldiers in Iraq to, most recently, the Virginia Tech shootings -- are God's punishment for America's tolerance of homosexuality.

<snip>

That's when she noticed the man. He was carrying a large American flag, and he placed himself squarely in front of the protesters.

Pat Langlois of Kingston also works at the Hampstead real estate office.

When she first saw the man with the flag, Langlois feared a confrontation; she could tell he was upset. But he just stood there, defiantly, proudly, with his flag. "I felt for that man," she said. "He was so hurt by what they were doing."

"Then all of a sudden, other people started to gather around him. Then a whole procession of other people came up the street with their flags," Langlois said
    She went outside and shook the man's hand, "and thanked him for standing there in that cold."

STORY LINK

Jamie

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great Story, too bad the paper didnt run a picture with it!!!:tear:

Ssgt Salty

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If this sickos from WBC ever come to our town, I am sure there will be no lack of patriots who will do the same thing, judging from the looks of most of my neighbors here.

4. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Free society

In a free society such as ours there will always be folks like these people from KS. Since the inception of this nation there have been people who have voiced opinion contrary to decency. But; for our freedom to continue we MUST allow them to have their voices heard if for no other reason than to show how indecent their opinions are.

I do not support their views but I do defend their EQUAL right to be heard. Perhaps if we gave them MORE exposure, there would be FEWER people taken in by these wicked people. I recently saw a clip of these people on a TV talk show and the arrogance they displayed was appaling. I am at a loss as to how otherwise intelligent people can become so decieved by their rhetoric.

Thankfully; there ARE such men as this guy with the flag who will stand toe to toe with these people and oppose them. This is also why we must defend their right to be heard; for IF we silence them by legislation then the guy with the flag will also one day be silenced.

In His service;
    Jim

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good words, Jim. Thanks.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are limits to freedoms! You can not yell fire in a crowed theater. My downstairs neighbor loves to play his stereo extremely loud. Does he have a right to do so, or do I have a right to peace and quiet!:BangHead:

Yes those idiots have a "right" to protest, but the grieving families have a right to a solemn funeral.
    :praying:
    And I will support the right of a grieving family over any outside interference.:thumbs:

Sgt Salty

7. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

No one has the right to be heard only to speak.