1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Paul’s Gospel

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by NetChaplain, Jun 10, 2022.

1. NetChaplain

NetChaplain Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my personal assumption the phrase “Paul’s Gospel” is generally the same declaration of the Gospel of Christ that any of the other Apostles would bring forth, which was “entrusted” to each (1Tim 1:11); and is what is intended by his use of the phrase “my gospel” (Rom 2:16; 16:25; 2Ti 2:8). But there is that which Scripture makes clear, which is to be given humble regard that Christ chose only Paul to introduce the doctrine of His Body—the Church, and all the growth truths deriving from this relationship (Eph 5:32; Col 1:18); which wasn’t even mentioned in the prior dispensation (excluding types, e.g. Adam and Eve representing Christ and His Church).

The sole mention regarding His Church before Paul, was by the Lord Jesus when speaking to His disciples about Peter’s admission of faith in Him. Jesus was alluding to the fact that faith in Christ was the Rock from which He would build His Church, seen in Matthew 16:16-18. Of all the “mysteries” of Scripture which reveal God and His operations, the union of man unto Himself through His Son is doubtless the most important of all knowledge, and designs the intention of the entirety of Scripture!
    NC

Paul’s Gospel

It is essential to keep in mind that Paul preached and taught and ever insisted upon resurrection. He himself was converted to the risen and glorified Lord Jesus (all the Apostles saw Him after His resurrection but before glorification, i.e. His return to the Father (Jhn 7:39; 20:17). The “light” - Act 9:3 – which Paul saw was Christ glorified—NC). The very glimpse he caught of Jesus of Nazareth was the risen Man in glory. It is only thus he knew Him, as he tells us in 2Corinthians 5:16, “Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we Him no more.”

Paul preached a resurrection gospel. He labored to present every man perfect (i.e. complete - Col 1:28—NC) in the risen glorified Lord Jesus Christ. He did not confine himself to the mere question of forgiveness of sin and salvation from hell—blessed, beyond all price, as are these fruits of the atoning death of the Savior—he aimed at the glorious end of planting the believer in Christ, and of keeping him there. “As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in Him: Rooted and built up in Him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.” “Ye are complete in Him”—“Buried with Him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with Him”—“Quickened together with Him” (Col 2).

Such was Paul’s preaching and teaching. This was his gospel. This is true Christianity, in contrast with all the forms of human righteousness and fleshly pietism under the sun. Life in the ascended Lord Jesus was Paul’s theme. It was not merely forgiveness and salvation by Christ, but union with Him (and growth in His fellowship—NC). Paul’s gospel planted the believer at once in the risen and glorified Lord Jesus, in the very presence of the Father (positionally now - Eph 2:6, literally later—NC). This is “the glorious gospel of the blessed God, “which was committed” to Paul’s “trust” (1Ti 1:11).

If the resurrected and ascended Lord Jesus is the Source of our life, the Savior who lived and died down here in this world is our pattern. The features of our Christian life are those selfsame features that shone in Him as a Man here below. Through death, He has made His Life to be our Life. He has linked us with Himself on high by a bond that can never be severed, and now we are privileged to go back and study the Gospels in order to learn of Him, to see how He walked, that we may, through the grace and enablement of the indwelling Spirit of Christ (“Spirit of God”; “Holy Ghost”; “Spirit of the Father”—NC), “walk even as He walked” (1Jo 2:6).

It is a very blessed though a very solemn truth, that there is nothing of value, in God’s account, save the outflow of the Life of the Lord Jesus from His members here (Church—NC). All that is not the direct fruit of that Life is utterly valueless to the Father. The activities of the old man are not merely worthless but sinful (Tit 1:15—NC). We are recognized, for example, as parents and children, masters and servants, and instructed as to our deportment in these blessed relationships; but all this is on the new ground of risen Life in Christ (Col 3; Eph 5 and 6). The old man is not recognized at all (e.g. Act 17:30—NC). It is viewed crucified (Rom 6:6), dead and buried (concerning its “dominion” and “condemnation” but not its “indwelling” – Rom 6:14; 7:17, 20; 8:1—NC); and we are called upon to reckon it so (reckoning doesn’t make it so but shows it’s so—NC), and to “mortify our members which are on the earth” (Col 3:5)—to live a life of manifesting the Life of the Lord Jesus (2Cor 4:11). This is practical Christianity. May we understand it better!

May we, at last, remember that nothing is of the smallest value in the Father’s estimation save the life of His Son manifested in the believer, from day to day, by the enablement of the Holy Spirit. The feeblest expression of this Life is sweet incense to the Father. The mightiest efforts of mere religious flesh (man-centered—NC)—the costliest sacrifices—the most imposing ordinances and ceremonies, are but “dead works,” in the sight of the Father. Religiousness is one thing; Christianity is quite another.

—Charles Andrew Coats (1862-1945)

MJS devotional excerpt for June 10
    ““We are the objects of the continual care and discipline of our heavenly Father. If we walk after the flesh, instead of after the Spirit, this may call for His loving rebuke and chastening (child training); but that in no way interferes with the precious truth of our continual acceptance and position in the risen Lord Jesus Christ, by whose one offering we have been perfected forever.
    “Through grace, we are not in the flesh, but in Christ, yet the flesh is in us; but our part is to reckon it as having been, before God and to faith, judicially put to death in Christ crucified, thus setting us free to be so constantly occupied with the triumphant Son of God, as to find all our resources, all our strength, all our springs, in Him.” - Hugh Henry Snell (1817-1892)
    None But The Hungry Heart

2. Mathetes66

Mathetes66 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    First of all, talking about the only one eternal gospel that has been preached throughout time is one of our greatest privileges, to be entrusted with a faith once for all delivered to the saints & a message of salvation & 'glad tidings.' People have found grace from God & believed in the promised 'Seed' & 'Messiah' & 'Prophet' & eternal Priest & King since Adam & Eve. The gospel was preached beforehand to those in the wilderness but because of unbelief they didn't enter God's eternal rest.

Heb 3:16-4:10 For who, having heard, rebelled? Indeed, was it not all who came out of Egypt, led by Moses? 17Now with whom was He angry forty years? ...And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who did not obey? So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief...1Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. 2For indeed THE GOSPEL WAS PREACHED TO US AS WELL AS TO THEM; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. 3For we who have BELIEVED DO ENTER THAT REST, as He has said: “So I swore in My wrath, ‘They shall not enter My rest...There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. 10For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.

Paul stated there is only one gospel, not two or three or more, just one. Paul also stated that the gospel message he preached came from direct revelation from Jesus Christ. That which he preached HE HAD RECEIVED it from Somone else. The very passage most people use to give the basic facts of the gospel message states this plainly:

I Cor 15:1-11 Now I would remind you, brothers, of THE gospel I preached to you, which you RECEIVED, in which you STAND, 2& by which you ARE BEING SAVED, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain.

3For I DELIVERED TO YOU as of FIRST IMPORTANCE WHAT I ALSO RECEIVED: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures...11Whether then it was I or they, so we preach & so you believed.

THE ONE gospel was also preached BEFOREHAND to Abraham as the Scripture states the truth.

Galatians 3:5-9 Therefore He who supplies the Spirit to you & works miracles among you, does He do it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?— 6just as Abraham “believed God & it was accounted to him for righteousness.” 7Therefore know that only those who are of faith are sons of Abraham. 8And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, PREACHED THE GOSPEL TO ABRAHAM BEFOREHAND, saying, “In you all the nations shall be blessed.” 9So then those who are of faith are blessed with believing Abraham.

This is shown in Hebrews 11. All those OT believers believed in the gospel message & were saved by grace through faith. Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD (Gen 6:8) & by faith in the promises of the Seed, He obeyed God & received the righteousness which comes by faith. (Heb 11:7) Abel by faith offered the right sacrifice of blood & it is testified of Him that he was righteous by that faith & he still speaks to us today concerning this. Moses received grace in God's sight (Exodus 33:12-14) & by faith entered God's eternal rest.

Then Moses said to the LORD, “Look, You have been telling me, ‘Lead this people up,’ but You have not let me know whom You will send with me. Yet You have said, ‘I know you by name, and you have found favor in My sight.’ 13Now if indeed I have found favor in Your sight, please let me know Your ways, that I may know You and find favor in Your sight. Remember that this nation is Your people.” 14And the LORD answered, “My Presence will go with you & I will give you rest.”

Their has only been one gospel, the gospel message. Over time progressive revelation has been given & more has been fulfilled & making the message for all people all through time. There are prefixes & suffixes attached to the one gospel, giving it fuller meaning, understanding & application. Here are the many examples in Scripture that show this & some of them repeated multiple times: THE GOSPEL of peace, THE eternal or everlasting GOSPEL, THE GOSPEL of the kingdom, THE GOSPEL of God, THE GOSPEL of Christ, THE GOSPEL, THE GOSPEL of the Son of God, THE GOSPEL of the kingdom of God, THIS gospel, THE WORD of the gospel, THE GOSPEL of the grace of God, THE GOSPEL of His Son, MY GOSPEL, A DISPENSATION OF THE GOSPEL, CHRIST'S GOSPEL, THE GLORIOUS GOSPEL OF CHRIST, THE GOSPEL throughout all the churches, THE GOSPEL in the regions beyond you, preaches ANOTHER GOSPEL which you didn't receive or believe in, WHICH IS NOT ANOTHER GOSPEL, THAT GOSPEL which I preach among the Gentiles, PREACHED BEFOREHAND THE GOSPEL TO ABRAHAM, THE TRUTH of THE GOSPEL, THE GOSPEL of the circumcision & THE GOSPEL of the uncircumcision, THE GOSPEL of your salvation, THE PREPARATION of THE GOSPEL OF PEACE, THE MYSTERY of THE GOSPEL, THE FAITH of THE GOSPEL, THE WORD of THE TRUTH of THE GOSPEL, THE HOPE of THE GOSPEL, OUR GOSPEL, THE GOSPEL of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Job preached concerning His Redeemer & the resurrection from the dead long before the apostles & Paul did. This was known way back then!

Job 19:22-25 I wish that my words were recorded & inscribed in a book,by an iron stylus on lead, or chiseled in stone forever.But I know that my Redeemer lives & in the end He will stand upon the earth. Even after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see God. I will see Him for myself; my eyes will behold Him & NOT as a stranger.
    How my heart yearns within me!

Also Job 16:9 Even now my Witness is in heaven & my Mediator (Advocate) is on high.

The prophets wrote about these things as well. Zechariah talks about the Messiah coming to stand upon the earth again & bringing the nation of Israel to repent, seeing the One whom they had pierced & His return to reign on the earth for 1000 years as Millenial King!

Zech 14:1-5 Behold, the day of the Lord is coming...for I will gather ALL THE NATIONS to battle against Jerusalem...Then the Lord will go forth & fight against those nations, as He fights in the day of battle. And in that day HIS FEET WILL STAND ON THE MT OF OLIVES...Thus the Lord my God will come & ALL THE SAINTS WITH YOU.

Zech 12:1-10 Thus declares the LORD, who stretches out the heavens & lays the foundation of the earth, who forms the spirit of man within him...“Judah will be besieged, as well as Jerusalem. On that day, when ALL THE NATIONS of the earth gather against her, I will make Jerusalem a heavy stone for all the peoples...Then the leaders of Judah will say in their hearts: ‘The people of Jerusalem are my strength, for the LORD of Hosts is their God.’

6On that day I will make the clans of Judah like a firepot in a woodpile, like a flaming torch among the sheaves; they will consume all the peoples around them on the right & on the left, while the people of Jerusalem remain secure there.The LORD will save the tents of Judah first, so that the glory of the house of David & of the people of Jerusalem may not be greater than that of Judah...like THE ANGEL OF YHWH going before them so on that day I will set out to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem. Then I will pour out on the house of David & on the people of Jerusalem a spirit of GRACE & PRAYER & they will look on Me, the One THEY HAVE PIERCED. They will mourn for Him as one mourns for an only child & grieve bitterly for Him as one grieves for a firstborn son.

Mose & Elijah were IN GLORY & talking to Jesus on the Mt of Transfiguration like they personally knew Jesus & what was their topic of conversation? It was the soon coming death of our Lord. How amazing! One must understand the whole counsel & testimony of Scripture from Genesis to Revelation to get the fullness of God's revealed revelation to us. It is a glorious gospel & we are privileged to be Christ's witnesses of it to the whole world.

3. NetChaplain

NetChaplain Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the reply, and like your comments! The issue with this article isn't just about receiving salvation through the Gospel of Christ, but growing in the doctrines derived from it, which I believe is related to Heb 6, of which only Paul revealed concerning "Christ in you" (Col 1:27). This mystery was revealed by God to Paul to share with the rest of the Apostles and disciples.