1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Paul Washer

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Jan 28, 2011.

1. ashleysdad

ashleysdad Member

I agree, he does come across as angry and that is as it should be, especially in America today. We have too many pastors and churches and ministries that present a weak, watered down, ineffectual "gospel" that is more concerned with making people happy and making sure they feel good about themselves than with calling sin sin and warning of the coming judgment because of that sin. He is right to be angry with these types of ministries and that type of preaching. The vast majority of people living in America today would claim to be "Christians" yet this country is one of the most if not the most God hating nation in the world. We, as a country call good evil and evil good and denounce anyone that says otherwise and alot of pastors going right along with the flow by the wishy washy weak preaching that comes out of the pulpits they stand in. Honestly I think that we need more men to stand and deliver the way that Paul Washer does. Is he angry? Absolutely and we need more preachers angry at what is happening in churches today. The weak ear tickling needs to stop and the straightforward "thus sayeth the Lord" needs to start!

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But without checking the link - what is your definition of "itinerant".

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Someone who moves about or travels to carry out their duty instead of having a set or fixed location to do the same.

4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I misunderstood him to be a pastor. As I said, I've never heard of him until today.

I personally have no problem if he has an 'angry style' (can't think of a better way to label it) of preaching if that is what he thinks he's called to. I really do think though that public confrontations done in the same manner (as in the second video) have the potential to do harm. Having said that, I agree that the subject of sin is not addressed as it should be.

5. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

"Ear scratchers..."

Seriously, I don't see how anyone CAN disagree with him...

6. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I don't buy into ANYthing that has to DO with Joel Osteen. The man is a wolf in sheep's clothing. More people go to hell after hearing his sermons that I care to know about.

Angels of Light....the Bible talks about these types.

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I don't think "angry" is the right description for Paul Washer's preaching.

I know him, and he is not angry.

By the way, his ministry is known as Heart Cry Missions, based in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. That's his home base. He is more properly called an evangelist.

8. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

If this is for my benefit, as I said I've never heard of him before today. He may not be an angry man, but you know what they say about first impressions.

9. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

When he started beating the pulpit, I turned him off. I remember that foaming at the mouth, loud-mouthed, foot-stomping delivery from many years ago. I would rather hear a preacher talk like a normal human being while preaching the bible. I want to hear what the bible says, not a critique on Joel Osteen, or any other preacher or church.

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

It was directed at you, mainly because I know him and you don't. But I can understand about the first impression; so I wanted to share my own insights.

His preaching is deadly serious and he tells few if any jokes.

Now I don't have a problem with a little humor in a message, but I fault no preacher for getting straight to the point.

I am not a preacher, but have spoken in many churches. I tell you, it is a grave responsibility to proclaim eternal truth to the people, saved or lost. I have never spoken behind a pulpit that I did not feel that weight.

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Let's just say that Paul has an intensity about his preaching. And an urgency, as well.

12. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

If you consider what he does as preaching, to me it's a controlled temper tantrum.

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That's how most of us define your debating tactics- minus the word "controlled".

14. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Then you are neglecting a huge part of a minister's duties (or are seeing it neglected). Jesus, Paul, and Peter all confronted false teachers. Paul commanded Timothy to rebuke them and put them to silence.

The idea of a Pastor not warning and protecting his flock from such charlatans, in the name of un-biblical "tolerance" is TRULY disgusting.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would call those who oppose the style of preaching of Paul to be RC - Religiously Correct

Think about it - compare it to PC -
    1. Stay out of my space / comfort zone
    2. Don't say anything to offend me or even others
    3. Don't degrade my self esteem
    4. Anybody should be able to do want they want without being judged
    5. It is wrong to make the helpless attend religious services to be given food, shelter and other necessities

Can you think of any others?

Years ago, many ministers preached the way Paul does.

Now, I can understand if you only have a dozen or so in your congregation. Suppose only one member drinks - would you preach hell and fire brimstone against drinking - you might want to be careful, or should you attempt to be careful?

Hebrews 4:12 tells us that the Word of God is powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit....

Sounds like PC and RC to me doesn't it.....

16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

hear, hear!

17. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

:thumbs:

One who believes in Lordship Salvation is more prone to agree with Washer than one who is Free Grace or semi-Free Grace.

18. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

You have a reputation here for being mean-spirited and more concerned with promoting Calvin than Jesus, so I don't worry too much about what you say.

19. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I believe a pastor can preach against sin and stand against things like abortion and homos@xuality without shouting and beating the pulpit.

I am not saying that this pastor is wrong, just not my cup of tea.

I don't know of one member of our church who would agree with Osteen and his so-called preaching.

I believe if a congregation is taught correctly about the things of God, they will recognize these charlatans easily. If truth is preached, error will be easy to recognize.

20. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

So many pastors are "offended" at Mr Washer because he pronounces judgement on their sin. Why is okay for a preacher to scream & yell from the pulpit while judging every unScriptural preference under the sun, but when a man speaks out against religious sins in the pulpit, he is being mean-spirited?

The church has been without prophets who hold self-willed pastors accountable for decades. We need men like Bro Paul in every church. I don't agree with him on every point(especially calvinism), but he is a much needed voice among baptists.