1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Paula White

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Alive in Christ, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I prefer to watch Paula Dean.;)

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I don't know why you hope that as it is a common happening. I wish it were not, but it is. Also as a matter of fact I have known someone and she was a Christian and she was very open about it when she explained to me what happened. The example I gave is ample for this situation.

3. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Amy G....

Post 16 in this tread. :wavey:

...and the odds are extremely high that there where many many MANY more then just that one example.

#43 Alive in Christ, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2011
  4. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh::laugh: So true, so true! In our church too! God bless!

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - So you posted:

The Scripture mentioned is:

Acts 18:24-26 "Now a Jew named Apollos, a native of Alexandria, came to Ephesus. He was an eloquent man, competent in the Scriptures. He had been instructed in the way of the Lord. And being fervent in spirit, he spoke and taught accurately the things concerning Jesus, though he knew only the baptism of John. He began to speak boldly in the synagogue, but when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him and explained to him the way of God more accurately."

OK - So I will say that the passage says nothing about Priscilla being the primary teacher and her husband being only an assistant. That is making up what is not there and that is a dangerous thing. Additionally, we see CLEAR instruction from Paul in the Scriptures. Do we write that off? I guess so, huh?

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Well, then, let me join Iconoclast with an endorsement of his drivel.

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charles Spurgeon preaching from Romans 16 (v. 3 "Priscilla and Aquila"):

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I would also point out that the limitations for what women can do are for a gathering such as a church or even today a bible study. They are not forbidden to share the truth with an individual. The restriction is for formal teaching positions.

9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :applause::applause::applause::applause:

Of course you are correct Ann.

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :applause: Some see it as the command of God...others see drivel...interesting....;):(

11. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Here is some more interesting documentation regarding women having prominant ministries in the early church.....

(From the link in post 17)

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:laugh::laugh:

Much healthier!

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Published March 15, 2011: a history of seventeenth-century Baptist women preachers:

Amazon.com A Company of Women Preachers by Curtis W. Freeman

14. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Pragmatic rebellion is still rebellion no matter when it takes place....there are always those who want to rebel and undermine the clear teaching of the word.
    Jerome....do you think it was okay to offer strange fire before the Lord???

Jerome...what if paula white put her hand to the ark...do you think it would be different???

15. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or NOT!

She is so good at her talent, that just watching her causes me to gain pounds! :thumbs:

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - So he's saying that she was the leader in maturity and devotion to God but that doesn't mean that in this case, Priscilla was the lead teacher and her husband took second fiddle. That would be putting words in Spurgeon's mouth and reading into Scripture that which is not there. I would also say that to say that she was more mature spiritually because she was named first would be a leap as well so I would have issue with Mr. Spurgeon's thoughts on this.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This I agree with. I would be comfortable presenting the Gospel to an unsaved person or, like here on BB, discuss theology with a believer who is male. I do believe that it is imperative that we realize in both of the verses we see Priscilla acting alongside her husband privately working with an individual. It would be quite the far leap to say that because I met with my husband to speak to John about some doctrine, that I am taking a leadership role and so thus I am endorsing women pastors. That is what people are doing with this passage and since it would contradict Paul's teaching, I think we have a problem with coming to that conclusion.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

An article from rebellious women is not great support (I already discussed that website and the women in it in a previous post) but their assertions are so ludicrous that I can't believe you even posted that.

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Exactly! This includes those who try and get around the command for the woman's role in the church or bible study by using their husband or the pastor as a sort of license to stand in the role of teacher where men are present. They willfully rebel against the Lord when doing this end run.

20. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

You do know the biblical principle of "headship" right?

The Woman IS covered under the spiritual authority of either her husband, or the lead spiritually male authoriities in the Church!