1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PC Police To Edit Huck Finn?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jan 5, 2011.

?
  1. Yes, remove the "N________" word

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, leave our literature alone

26 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Yes, remove the word "Injun!"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, leave our literature alone

22 vote(s)
    84.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While going through my AOL headlines, I came across an interesting opinion noted below. It has to do with the question of removing the "N______" word from Twain's masterpiece. The article also talks about the possible removal of the word, "Injun!" just to make Huck Finn politically correct for the coming generations.

I thought I'd see what you folks would favor., so please take a minute to provide a response to the brief poll.

SEE: http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/05/o...n-stand/?icid=maing|main5|dl5|sec1_lnk5|34794

Thanks for your views and comments.

Pastor Paul :type:

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Political correctness run amok.

From Wikipedia:
    In an effort to sanitize the book, the PCs are trying to sanitize the culture in which it was written. It's an awful word, but neither blacks nor whites should ever want to erase the past, nor should we forget it. Otherwise, we risk distorting how we got where we are today.

3. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great Comment. THANKS!

AMEN!!!! :applause:

4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Where does it stop? It's been a while since I read Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn, but I seem to remember that Huck smoked. The famous detective of fiction, Sherlock Holmes, took drugs. Should those references be removed?

#4 David Lamb, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2011
  5. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

I agree.

...Bob

6. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Well, then they need to have Tom in this book do the following: go to the polls to vote for an anti christian liberal; allow the government to teach him how to think and indoctrinate within him what he is to believe in; preach that only whites are racists; take his girlfriend to the abortion clinic; take his boyfriend to an Elton John concert; marry his boyfriend and adopt a kid who somehow also turns out gay; parrot the lies of the liberal media; lobby to build a mosque at ground zero; lobby as an activist that there is no such thing as terror; insist that we all get on a healthcare plan ran by the feds; fight to place the ho**sectuals as a race; report a non PC to the feds via his iphone ap; and finally and not least; seek to abolish all things God and Christian out of our nation while preaching tolerance.

(That's all I could think of, I apologize if I've missed something that should have been added)

Then this book would be nice and politically correct for the next generation.

:thumbsup:

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These folk have been around wanting to edit these and other books seemingly forever ... long before "political correctness" was a coined term. I remember the same idea being argued when I was in high school and I am sure it did not begin then. It is silly, and yes I am trying to be polite, to impose the ideas of what is right or wrong on a former era.

8. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I have Twain's Huck Fenn and Tom Sawyer in my Homeschool library along with a copy of Uncle Tom's Cabin

I suppose there will be a move in the near future that will call for owners to surrender their copies of such vile attraction as well as the Squirrel/Deer Rifles in their gun cabinets as well!!

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

Interesting how language is changing.

Certain racial or gay slurs are villified more than ever...yet profanity of other stripes is more common and accepted than ever.

Let's face it: The worst thing you can be on earth is a racist or homophobe. Using God's name in vain...or sexually vulgar comments...not so much of an issue. (not justifying either of these behaviors--but I find it interesting that one is more tolerated than ever...while the other less tolerated than ever).

As for the book...there are some folks that obviously need a hobby. One not paid for by tax dollars.

10. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

These nitwits need to leave it exactly the way it was written.

If they want to put some kind of warning in it, letting people know of what what they wil be reading, fine.

But DO NOT change it.

It is what it is. Leave it alone.

A bunch of nitwits. :tonofbricks:

11. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Leave the books just as they were written. If you want to discuss why we believe talking like that today is wrong, then fine and dandy. Acting like the past did not happen is just plain silly.

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

Yikes....does that make me MTVO? (Mark Twain Version Only)

Or am I railing against the HFANPSV? (Huckleberry Finn Auburn Nitwit Professor-Sanitized Version)

13. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    PC Police Will Include Movies

That is correct. If they go after literature that uses the "N_____" word, they will have to edit and dub over all the referrences made in movies using the "N______" word! It is a never ending project. :BangHead:

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

They'll have to redo a ton of books! We read horrible things in books because people are horrible. There's no point trying to go back in time, erase it, and pretend it didn't happen.
    While I immensely enjoy reading Little House and watching the series, they strike me as extremely racist, especially towards Native Americans. Why the series is seen as pure and wholesome eludes me.

History is filled with people being absurdly vulgar, dihonest, racist, and impure.
    So is our present.

Until all things are made new, that won't change. And changing what was written in history won't change history, it'll just make people more ignorant of human nature and feel less in need of a Savior.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'll make 'em a deal: You edit Huck Finn, and I edit rap.

Good trade-off.

16. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm definitely a purist when it comes to literature. I'm very anti-censorship. If you don't like the book, then don't read it. Keep yourself away from immoral media and teach your child the same thing, but trying to censor certain words from books backfires everytime.

I always kept Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer on my shelf at school. Students were free to read it. I encouraged them to. We didn't read it aloud and not because of the word, n*gger. We did read To Kill a Mockingbird aloud and it did have the word, n*gger, in it several times.

I didn't and wouldn't read the Mark Twain books in question aloud or have students read portions of it aloud for this reason.

In the Bob Jones sixth grader reader is an excerpt from Tom Sawyer. We didn't read it. I like the fact that Bob Jones publishing keeps excerpts from certain book in tact and doesn't water them down, but I made the decision to skip that particular story and a couple of other (for different reasons). I told the students they were free to read the stories on their own. They were voracious readers. Some did.

Here's the a portion of the excerpt from the Bob Jones sixth grader reader:

I would have had to translate it for the students - black and white alike. They would have laughed at the "black folk" speech and started talking that way to mock them. The appreciation of the literature would have gone.

If you can't read the above, Tom is saying this:

I would have to read those sections, myself. It would be the equivalent, to me, of verbal black face. As a white teacher, I wouldn't want my black students wondering why I was seemingly mocking the black people in the book. I could have explained that it was for comedy's sake and that it was just a trait of writer's of the time and that while some black people talked that way - not all did, and they would have understood that. But it would have went over their heads and out the window once I got into character and read it.

But I did encourage them to read the story themselves and a few students did pick the book in its entirety from my bookshelf and read it.

#16 Scarlett O., Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011