1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PCC help

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Mexdeaf, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

My son is considering Pensacola Christian. One reason is he really does not know what God wants him to do in life so he is looking for a school with more than just ministry training offerings.

At first, I thought PCC might be good for him, but after doing some more research I am becoming concerned that perhaps it might not be the best choice. It looks to be expensive for a non-accredited school and have heard some horror stories about over-the-top discipline, students ratting each other out to get brownie points with the admin. and so forth.

What else is out there in the way of Ind. Baptist colleges that offer more than a ministry degree? I am familiar with Liberty U. and TTU already.

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mexdeaf Reponse!!!!

Mexdeaf,

It sounds to me that good judgment and saying the things you have spoken/written out loud would convince you of your own convictions.

Do you want to pay high tuition to send your school to "prison." I have not heard such extremes from people who tell "horror stories" of BJU!

I have read many of your responses in days-gone-by. I have always found you to be very intelligent with great insights. Why then now, would you not trust your own critical thinking and the "alarm bells" that have gone off in your own head.

Surely your son does not need to be subitted to such if he is not "going into the ministry." I am deeply doubtful that it would even be good for him IF HE WERE going into the ministry.

I think the reservations you have expressed are right on the money.

Go with your gut!

sdg!:godisgood:

rd

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Rhet,

Are you recommending BJU? Any others?

Mex

4. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Mex deaf,

I mentioned on this forum once before that our church has many students at PCC including one of my grandsons. A strange thing is happening with our students (about 10 total) they are leaving the school. My understanding is that the school is getting so petty and rigid the students can hardly breathe. One illustration and I close one of the class officers in the school was also a singer in one of their travelling singing groups for summer. This past summer the school went from a more conservative presentation to one built more on praise music (which is fine) when the student in question asked the reasons for this change he was told he rebellious, was given demerits and told that if it happened again he would be kicked out of school. He is a senior this year, and has a great testimony in the school with his peers.

I would investigate your choice very carefully, my grandson is down to 18 months left and is going to stick it out but his fiance is leaving and two other of our students are leaving as well. I found out this past week that our youth director who is a graduate of the school and has been on our staff for 11 years is no longer recomending PCC. You might ask yourself why so many of the campus ministers / spiritual leaders are leaving?

just a thought or two

thjplgvp

5. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Mexdeaf

Here is an excerpt from a man who graduated from PCC and has preached on the campus.

"But at this juncture, I would also point out that Jim’s departure is just one more major leadership shift in an institution that has an incredible rate of turnover in its senior leadership. Not only did Jim Schettler resign, but of lesser attention was the departure of Dr. Matt Beemer, Vice-President of PCC and the man who had, by most accounts, received the promise of holding the keys to the PCC Empire upon the death or retirement of the Hortons. Beemer followed the unceremonious departure/dumping of Dr. Greg Mutsch who had previously held the future keys of leadership. Dell Johnson, the one who made a name for himself teaching Beka Horton’s KJV position, also left in short order.
    More now than in many years, the future of PCC rests solidly on the Lord permitting the Horton’s an extended lifespan. There is virtually no successors on the horizon and those that are should be as nervous as the wife of Henry the VIII.
    Some will, and have, accuse(d) me of having a vendetta against PCC. Indeed, I have not been afraid to voice my concerns and opinions about PCC and other Christian colleges in this blog. If you missed them, you can catch up by clicking HERE, HERE and http://www.danburrell.com/blog/2006/02/challenges-and-opportunities-for_24.html.
    Such an accusation is simply not true. I have been on the campus many times. I have spoken there. I’m not ashamed to be an alumni from their graduate school.
    I do, however, have issues with the hyper-control, unBiblical rigidity and lack of accountability that has damaged many good people over the years. I object to a philosophy that not only discourages debate and discussion, but punishes one for attempting to engage in it for any reason — noble or otherwise — with them. If you aren’t willing to swallow their positions in total, then you are an outsider, enemy and will be cut off. It’s just not right."

http://danburrell.com/?m=200605

It is found near the bottom of the page under the heading 'major changes in leadership'.

thjplgvp

6. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Check out Bryan College in Dayton, TN - a very conservative, solid non denominational school. many of its graduates go on to Dallas Seminary and several of the SBC schools. They are and have been accredited for years - I graduated over 25 years ago and have a broad spectrum of majors (biology to Bible). I think that they have between 600 and 700 students.

They have rules - but are not stupid about them

http://www.bryan.edu/

Good luck

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Send him to Liberty University. They offer a large variety of programs, he will get a good education, make great friends, and be exposed to some of the biggest names in Christianity. That, I believe, is your best option. There is also Regent Undergrad, Wheaton College, and The College at Southeastern Seminary offers degrees in Music, History, English, and Education as well.

There are many solid options out there. You just have to look :thumbs: .

#7 Martin, Jan 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2007
  8. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Thanks for those links. MBBC looks good. Asked them to send info.

Mex

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

I've had to help folk pick up the shrapnel after attending PCC. I would recommend no one to that school. Ever.

11. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clearwater Christian College

Here's the link for Clearwater:

http://www.clearwater.edu/

If your son is not sure of where the Lord is leading him, Clearwateris a good choice. The school has a wide range of programs including Army, Air Force, and Navy (Marine) ROTC programs

12. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mexdeaf Response

MD,

I was just trying to use BJU as a point of contrast. Even BJU seems to have softened somewhat as they have tried to get accreditation and such. That is all I was saying.

I personally would not want a child of mine to go to an unaccredited college of any stripe. Later on s/he might want to go to an RA or ATS seminary or grad school program and a degree from PCC would be worthless. Four years of education and tuition and legalism wasted, and for what? If one were to go to one of the Liberal Arts Christian Universities listed above, then you can go just about anywhere to do grad work.

That is what I was saying (or trying to say and not doing such a good joy of it I guess?).

sdg!:thumbsup:

rd

13. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rhet., please keep in mind Maranatha and Clearwater are accredited schools.

14. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Mexdeaf, one word of advice from a young 17 yr old without much wisdom : Find out where they stand on doctrine. Not all of the IFB colleges teach the same doctrine, despite what many people think. Example, Pensacola largely leans toward heavy arminianism while BJU claims to be neutral, but lean toward Calvinistic teachings.

I am considering which college to choose, and it is hard to find out where the schools stand doctrinally. For some reason they do not define their doctrine in detail on their websites or packets, so make sure you talk to someone about the school's theological convictions.

I know doctrine is not the primary reason in choosing a college, but since these are Christian colleges, it would be a shame to impose upon a young man or woman a theological paradigm in which they could not rid themselves for many years. The best of luck to your son, and I think you are making a wise choice by sending him to a Christian college.

God's blessings on you,
    Your little brother in Christ,
    Andy

15. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

If cost is an issue, send him to a community college for two years and then he can transfer to Liberty or TTU.

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Well, I had a 'man to man' talk with my son this afternoon and shared some of my concerns with him and let him read some of these responses. He admitted that he had been having some of those same doubts about PCC, so we are going to look into other schools. One of the requirements is that they must offer Bible classes and something along the line of Criminal Justice, Pre-Law, or even military training such as Clearwater does. I have always told my kids they must go someplace where they will be exposed to good preaching and Bible teaching for at least a year so God can get ahold of their hearts and call them to His service if He so desires.

My oldest graduated from TTU last year and he is now involved in full-time prison prevention ministry and doing a fantastic job. He went there to get a degree in ASL interpretation, but God turned his heart towards ministry, so he ended up with two degrees.

Thanks, fellas for your sound advice and gracious responses. You have encouraged the heart of this ole missionary.

Mexdeaf

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Andy,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. And God's blessings on you, too!

Mexdeaf

18. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's the Academic home page for Clearwater:

http://www.clearwater.edu/academics/

CCC has pre-law and pre-med program. It also has Biblical Studies and Business divisions.

Maranatha has a nursing program.

#18 Squire Robertsson, Jan 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2007
  19. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

My preferences are visible in my signature. But based on your familiarity in LU and you asking for more options, perhaps there is some bad exposure to Lynchburg. Is that a fair assessment?

Cedarville seems to fit the description of what you and your son are looking for as well.

20. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not trying to be combative, but I must ask this. Why do you say that? Can God not call them to ministry through the local church?