1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PCUSA Minister Calls FBC Dallas Choir Number Blasphemy

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Jerome, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why?

2. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It's a secular song. Let the armed forces choir belt out the five word song.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huge difference.

4. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, now I know the real reason you hate it.:Whistling

5. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have attended churches that were on the liberal side politically and didn't even really try to hide the fact. They pray that President Trump would be corrected by the Lord and made to see the error of his ways. I've heard sermons on how Trump would be ignoring God's will if he withdrew from the Paris Accords, or replaced Obamacare. Churches that never in all their years sponsored Muslim refugees, but began doing so after Trump was elected, and pat themselves on the back for their actions. I doubt if any of the anti-Trump folks here would have thought twice about any of these blatant political statements masquerading as sermons.

6. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

And if the US were perfect in all these ways maybe you would find another reason to exclude any patriotic songs in church?

• Like Like x 1
  7. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pretty much. It is not wrong to pray for our nation, but I see no reason to attempt to conflate patriotism — much less partisan politics — with Christianity.

You apparently have seen libs do this. My experience is otherwise. Not long ago a guy at the church was seriously concerned that the new pastor had made a remark about Trump that he considered derogatory. It wasn't; but he wanted some other men to go talk to the pastor and explain why he couldn't be a Democrat and a Christian. Now, the pastor wasn't even talking about politics, other than the hubbub that Trump continually generates, but he was being marked as under suspicion because of an offhand remark. The truth is that the pastor was simply pointing out that the Kingdom of God is our top priority, not the transitory politics and buzz of the secular world.

8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see any reason why patriotic songs should be sung in church, in the US or any country, but if we were still a country of righteousness, I don't see any harm on it, so long as it's not the focus of the service.

I've attended a church that had Patriotic Sunday built around the 4th of July, where all songs were patriotic, US flags were prominently displayed, mini US flags were handed out, and the sermon was geared toward the greatness of the USA. It was quite over the top. I had a hard time seeing how God was glorified in all that.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with the sentiment, but I disagree with the application. Military choirs also have no business belting out campaign slogans. I would mention some historical examples, but that might go too far.

10. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The nation has gone to Hell in a handbasket because the church withdrew from politics.

11. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I didn't pay attention to any campaign slogans so I didn't make a connection.

12. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Christians can err on either side of the patriotism issue. There seems to only be criticism when a congregation takes on a more pro-American slant. Then everyone has an opportunity to show how much they disagree with that, and that they are truly much too spiritual for any such of a thing.

"It is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favors." - George Washington

13. Lewis

Lewis Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where is the alter in a Baptist church?

14. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, been there, done that. I even admit to being complicit. At one church I was enthralled at a particular arrangement of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" because it was five-part harmony and first tenors don't get too many opportunities in standard chorale music.

At another church I was asked to do the solo in a very nice arrangement of Eternal Father Strong to Save/America the Beautiful. I do not regret that because of the prayerful lyrics, which are of aspiration, but I don't know that I would do it again.

I repeat the pledge of allegiance because it's a military town and I'm a former Boy Scout leader. But I consider it a secular duty, certainly not a religious one.

15. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's funny. When has the "church" withdrawn from politics?

• Like Like x 1
  16. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is tradition of Baptists called separation of church and state. Goes way back.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

17. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can't disagree with that. But it's not the same as breast-thumping about how great the nation (or the current politician) is and God is on our side.

18. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Neither party expected for the war the magnitude or the duration which it has already attained. Neither anticipated that the cause of the conflict might cease with or even before the conflict itself should cease. Each looked for an easier triumph, and a result less fundamental and astounding. Both read the same Bible and pray to the same God, and each invokes His aid against the other. It may seem strange that any men should dare to ask a just God's assistance in wringing their bread from the sweat of other men's faces, but let us judge not, that we be not judged. The prayers of both could not be answered. That of neither has been answered fully. The Almighty has His own purposes. 'Woe unto the world because of offenses; for it must needs be that offenses come, but woe to that man by whom the offense cometh.'"

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the Temple of God in the New Jerusalem.

HankD

#59 HankD, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  20. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it is one of the "Baptist Distinctives"
    Baptist DistinctivesGARBC

HankD