1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pelagianism?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Jordan Kurecki, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is it? I would prefer answers with scripture.

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I whole heartedly agree with you. Philosophical and historical ecclessiastical terms have no place in any discussion of Scripture. Let us stick to the words God has provided:

2Ti 1:13 Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.

I don't even like using the word "Trinity" but prefer the use of Biblical langauge such as "Godhead" and other terms which are found in scripture.

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother, in all fairness, no one truly knows what it teaches. Pelegius' writings were burned by Augustus of Hippo. He was accused of teaching that man can come to God w/o any divine work of the Spirit whatsoever. However, I don't think anyone can truly say he taught this, seeing his writings are no longer available. Anything blasting him comes from Augustus' writings, best I can tell......

4. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

However, when theologions use that term they are referring to that type of soteriology which insists that natural man can acheive salvation without divine assistance solely by free will and can equally choose to unchristianize themselves by free will.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't it deny the fall of Adam affecting humanity, no original Sin, and that we are essentially still fully in image of God, fully free willed just as adam was to decide or reject the Lord?

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What is it? Its simply a pejorative.

7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

There are several on line definitions but this one sums it all up:

Pelagianism is the belief that original sin did not taint human nature and that mortal will is still capable of choosing good or evil without special Divine aid. The teachings of Pelagius are generally associated with the rejection of original sin and the rejection of infant baptism.

[1] Although the writings of Pelagius are not longer extant, the eight canons of the Catholic Council of Carthage provided corrections to the perceived errors of the early Pelagianists:

1.Death did not come to Adam from a physical necessity, but through sin.

2.New-born children must be baptized on account of original sin.

3.Justifying grace not only avails for the forgiveness of past sins, but also gives assistance for the avoidance of future sins.

4.The grace of Christ not only discloses the knowledge of God's commandments, but also imparts strength to will and execute them.

5.Without God's grace it is not merely more difficult, but absolutely impossible to perform good works.

6.Not out of humility, but in truth must we confess ourselves to be sinners.

7.The saints refer the petition of the Our Father, "Forgive us our trespasses", not only to others, but also to themselves.

8.The saints pronounce the same supplication not from mere humility, but from truthfulness.[2]

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So they would hold to the myth of "god helps those who help themselves!"