1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pelosi Erases Gingrich's Long-Standing Fairness Rules

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by hillclimber1, Jan 5, 2009.

1. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=30143

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi plans to re-write House rules today to ensure that the Republican minority is unable to have any influence on legislation. Pelosi’s proposals are so draconian, and will so polarize the Capitol, that any thought President-elect Obama has of bipartisan cooperation will be rendered impossible before he even takes office.

Pelosi’s rule changes -- which may be voted on today -- will reverse the fairness rules that were written around Newt Gingrich’s “Contract with America.”

After decades of Democrat control of the House of Representatives, gross abuses to the legislative process and several high-profile scandals contributed to an overwhelming Republican House Congressional landslide victory in 1994. Reforms to the House Rules as part of the Contract with America were designed to open up to public scrutiny what had become under this decades-long Democrat majority a dangerously secretive House legislative process. The Republican reform of the way the House did business included opening committee meetings to the public and media, making Congress actually subject to federal law, term limits for committee chairmen ending decades-long committee fiefdoms, truth in budgeting, elimination of the committee proxy vote, authorization of a House audit, specific requirements for blanket rules waivers, and guarantees to the then-Democrat minority party to offer amendments to pieces of legislation.

Pelosi’s proposed repeal of decades-long House accountability reforms exposes a tyrannical Democrat leadership poised to assemble legislation in secret, then goose-step it through Congress by the elimination of debate and amendment procedures as part of America’s governing legislative process.

There is a Republican response at the end of the article..

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Well Ken, those of you who supported the Democratic ticket had better stand up for your own good sense and start making some waves...... cause people like Pelosi don't really care about the opposition. They've got the majority rule and they are showing that they are willing to take what power they can and use it all, not just to the advantage they've got already, but to whatever makes it more difficult for people to take part in their government or for their representation to have a say.

That's why, whenever a law was being proposed that had the potential to become politically abused..... i.e. the 'Patriot Act', I didn't doubt why the Democrats voted for, (while they might get their shills to give oppositional lip service). They knew that by winning the election and they had so many organized around dislike or frustration with this or that... that they knew the chances were good for change....... they wanted all the power that could be to already be in place for their advantage....... and some, make that many, don't have the moral compass that would exercise restraint.

Now stick another nail in the coffin of our freedoms: Make this one for fairness and equality in representation without regard to party allegiance!

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the voters don't like the way the Democrats do things in the House they can kick them out of office in the next election.

The Republicans had their own problems with power when they controlled the House. I remember them keeping votes going on and on and on(so much for a 15 minute vote :) ) until they finally would get enough votes to pass controversial measures. If I recall correctly, the vote on the Medicare prescription drug bill was one of those instances.

It is true that power corrupts.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

I agree, but because of gerrymandered districts and, frankly, a stupid populace, that won't happen.

Our entire country is full of people who say, "Congress is awful, corrupt, inept...except for MY congressman..."

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you were leery of the "tyranny of the majority" before, democrats will put on a show you will never forget.

They know how it's done and will relish the opportunity.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rbell, I totally agree - and it is important to RE-ELECT MY CONGRESSMAN - so he will have additional seniority - which helps bring the bacon home.

Nice theory about voting the bums out - but just is not practical

8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The democrats are going to show us what freedom is all about. Gulags in Alaska perhaps?

9. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Well,.......... yawk all you want about people re-electing their congressman. I can and I will when he's doing or has done a good job.... and Jeff Miller has......... he's up there on those who are both conservative and stick closely by the constitution.... not quite as high as Ron Paul....

And he can be re-elected only once.

If you don't like the tenured politician..... start working on your state laws and state constitution for term limits.

Voters don't use the power that they have.....

And voters who could write an 'atta boy' or 'I got a bone to pick with you about a bill' don't cause they're too lazy and busy telling other voters to go vote instead of doing more than dropping a ballot.
    No one that we elect should be expected to be a mind reader and we drop the ball if we're too lazy to informed them, or just leave it for the next guy to write the letter while we whine and complain.

FYI: I've already written 3 letters in the last 2 months at the national and state leve and visited 2 offices.... one on the state and the other a local level in the last 2 weeks. That's more than most people do in an entire year..... but they'll bust a gut with their belly aching!

#9 windcatcher, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2009