1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Penal Substitution

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mandym, Jan 15, 2012.

?
  1. It is correct and a primary doctrine

80.0%
  2. No it is not and a dangerous doctrine

6.7%
  3. Believers who do not hold to it must be separated from fellowship

26.7%
  4. I do not hold to it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I do hold to it

46.7%
  6. It is not worth breaking fellowship over

6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From the 1689

3._____ Elect infants dying in infancy are regenerated and saved by Christ through the Spirit; who worketh when, and where, and how he pleases; so also are all elect persons, who are incapable of being outwardly called by the ministry of the Word.
    ( John 3:3, 5, 6; John 3:8 )

4._____ Others not elected, although they may be called by the ministry of the Word, and may have some common operations of the Spirit, yet not being effectually drawn by the Father, they neither will nor can truly come to Christ, and therefore cannot be saved: much less can men that receive not the Christian religion be saved; be they never so diligent to frame their lives according to the light of nature and the law of that religion they do profess.
    ( Matthew 22:14; Matthew 13:20, 21; Hebrews 6:4, 5; John 6:44, 45, 65; 1 John 2:24, 25; Acts 4:12; John 4:22; John 17:3 )

2. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

What does the Bible say? Personally, I believe that infants and those not capable of understanding God will save. But we all deserve hell. No one is holy and deserves heaven. But we were not talking about infants, so lets get back. Children, if they are not saved, yes. Why wouldn't they? they are not holy. They have sinned. do you think they deserve heaven?

3. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I don't think children have sinned until they are capable of moral decision. I have a 4-year-old granddaughter; I do not think she has sinned.

4. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Of course I do not agree with the Calvinism expressed here. But at least it's consistent. I don't know if you are Primitive Baptist, but one thing I like about them is that they affirm a way of salvation for those who have never heard of Jesus.

I had a good friend on here years ago, Jeff Weaver, who was a PB. I got along much better with him than with SBC and IFB Baptists. :)

5. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Does the Bible say that? I believe anyone unable god saves. 4 year olds are able to make moral decisions. What are they doing when they say "no!" to mother? ;)

However it seems the topic has swayed a little...

#185 jbh28, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2012
  6. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Think that infants/children/mentally challenged etc are sinners, but have been covered by God thru the atoning work of Christ , He has applied that towards them to effectually keep them from being lost iif they died before the time he saw them being morally responsible/accountible to God for them!

7. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

believe the Bible, not the confessional truth, would be that God has chosen to elect in Christ unto salvation ALL children that would die under the time that He saw them as being personal and morally responsible to God for their sins!

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This statement from the confession is the biblical view...you are missing the truth that all died in Adam...and are conceived spiritually dead.

MW......I am a Reformed Baptist. ARBCA

9. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

i agree with you on our spiritual condition, but also believe that God can and has elected to save ALL who would not yet be morally accountible for their personal sins as of yet...

He chose to apply the grace from/of the Cross to cover them until age of accountibility, similiar way OT believers were 'covered" by NOT OT sacrifices, but by God knowing that the messiah those sacrifices were poiting towards was to come!