1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Penick-Bogard Debate

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by rlvaughn, Nov 25, 2004.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    E-bay has a copy of the I. N. Penick - Ben M. Bogard debate on the subject of mission methods. It is a rare find, and an interesting part of the theology and history of Baptists, particularly the division of missionary Baptists circa 1900. I would love to have it, but it's out of my price range. Maybe some of you are interested. View it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29223&item=6936682394&rd=1

Bidding ends about 1:30 p.m. CST today (Thanksgiving day).

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one bid; it looks like the asking price was out of everyone's price range. Thanks for the heads up.

3. R. Charles Blair

R. Charles Blair New Member

It might be of some interest that Ben Bogard was pastor of one or two churches in the (Southern Baptist) association which he helped establish in southwestern Kentucky in 1893, and gave the first mission report to that West Kentucky Association in 1894. In essence, summarized, it was: "There are two plans of supporting missions common among our churches; the Board Plan [which became the Cooperative Program - RCB] and Gospel Missions. Each church in this association shall be forever free to choose either or both of these means of mission giving as it feels led." (That's not a direct quote, but it gets the idea. I was associational missionary here for 20 years, longer than any previous one; in fact, they had worked without one for the 20 years before me.)

Bro. Bogard went from here to the FBC of Princeton
    (KY,) also a Southern Baptist church, before going to Arkansas to help start what is now the ABA.
    Most SBC churches in this area have the word
    "missionary" in their name. Just thought that might be noteworthy in this connection.

Best to all - Belated happy turkey day - Charles Blair - Ro. 8:28