1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pensacola Christian College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by patrioticcamerican, Jan 17, 2005.

1. patrioticcamerican

Superdave and Broadus or anyone else,

You commented in the Hyles thread that PCC is heading in the same direction as Hyles, just not as far yet. Could you please explain what you mean?

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

IMO, PCC is a "kinder, gentler" HAC. My observation concerning PCC is from a distance and through the words of some who have attended, as well as from attending myself a Christian educators conference there quite a few years ago. I have an MEd from HAC.

I think that PCC is much more academically credible and rigorous than HAC and is perhaps not as "authoritarian" in controlling all aspects of students' lives. Nevertheless, it seems that their rules, again IMO, are unnecessarily rigid.

I think that Superdave's insight would carry more weight than mine because it seems that he has a more direct view.

Bill

3. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Retroactive
    Although both HAC and PCC are authoritarian and hierarchal in structure, they are much different in philosophy and approach. There are as many differences as similarities.

4. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    paidagogos,

Please mention some ot the differences? A critical contrast would be most interesting, at least to me. I am sure all who subscribe to BB can figure out the "similarities."

sdg!

rd

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

In addition to a common background of Biblical Fundamentalism, the two schools are both authoritarian and hierarchal in structure. However, these similarities are superficial and common to many religious institutions. For example, BJU, Armstrongism (Worldwide Church of God under the late Herbert W. Armstrong) and the Mormon Church are definitely authoritarian and hierarchal institutions but the similarities end there. In other words, these two traits, authoritarian and hierarchal, are shared by diverse organizations.

HAC was the alter ego of Jack Hyles. Hyles had certain views and practices unique to himself. It was almost a personality cultic following based on the charisma and person of the leader. At PCC, Arlin and Beka Horton are the big guns. Whereas they are definitely the ones calling every shot, they have nothing like the charisma and personality of Jack Hyles. Beka is a fairly effective speaker but she is smooth and low key. Arlin is a very poor public speaker. He has absolutely no platform presence and he cannot move an audience. Using notes, he can barely stammer through a brief welcome. His speaking preference is Q&A. He is, however, an organizational guru. Everything is based on organization and efficiency. One of Arlin’s favorite books was Up the Organization by Townsend. He hires sharp, bright, young folks who do his bidding and he believes strongly in competition..

The early PCC was modeled pretty much on BJU. The early leaders (the Hortons, Godwin, & Baker) and the faculty were BJU grads. Thus, there was a BJU philosophical bend. They differed from BJU in that they bought heavily into Traditional education. They researched and read the Traditional educational texts of the late 1800’s. Max Rafferty was an early influence. Samuel Blumenfeld is a more recent one. For a while, they bought wholesale into Bill Gothard but I think they have distanced themselves from association with him in more recent years. On the other hand, HAC was all Jack Hyles and his off the cuff interpretation of anything and everything. The HAC philosophy was what Jack said so please take note.

HAC runs on hype and enthusiasm whereas PCC is a well-oiled and geared machine. PCC depends on solid appearance and organization but HAC is all energy. PCC excels at a studied practical approach to life. HAC goes for the gusto. PCC has a very Victorian flavor and outlook. At HAC, there is Christian myth and story behind every action. PCC points out how reasonable and practical their Christianity is. Perhaps the contrast is emotion-driven enthusiastic faith versus the practical outworking and application of a Christian philosophy.

Doctrinally, PCC would not agree with the so-called Hyles heresies or doctrinal aberrations. PCC is Fundamentalist and orthodox in doctrine with a fairly Baptistic slant. Their Traditional educational views include a lot of classical humanism.

6. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    paidagogos,

Very well done and I must say insightful. You must have spent much time in the (both) fundy camp(s) to have accrued all of that knowledge as well as understanding.

With my limited knowledge of PCC you have helped me to understand it a bit better. I hate to speak unkindly of the dead, but Jack Hyles is one of the closet things that we Baptists have had to a Pope, i.e., "one man one plan!" "I am God's man here, if there is any disagreement with me--then YOU will have to leave."

I know I am bound to get the "cards and letters" on that opinion. But it is strictly "IMO."

My children were in a private Christian academy and the teachers there had degrees from PCC. It is easy to see the distinctions that you have made concerning both institutions.

I appreciate your insight.

Keep the dialogue going!

sdg!

rd

7. Broadus

Broadus Member

In addition to paidagogos' well-done analysis (unless I missed it), PCC is much more academic than HAC. At least that's my perspective after earning an M.Ed. from HAC and having attended teacher workshops at PCC, many, many moons ago (as in 25+ years).

Bill

8. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Yes! You are exactly right. However, a word may be added about PCC's academics. They are more factual or knowledge based rather than conceptual. Their standards and expectations are high but they teach facts over theories. It is more accured knowledge and culture than research and problem-solving. We may say their method is more deductive than inductive.

We can see the difference between the two major Christian school textbook publishers--A Beka (PCC) and BJUP (BJU). A Beka is very concrete, practical and factual which fits best in the elementary grades where children have little conceptual development. On the other hand, BJUP is best in high school because of their conceptual approach where kids are developing reasoning and judgment skills in preparation for college.

9. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To whomever may know,

Could some of you who have a broader understaning than me chart BJU, HAC, & PCC on some sort of continuum? Then compare or contrast them educationally. I think all of us know where they stand on the "fundamentals?!"

This may not be doable because it is somewhat of an "apple & orange" issue? It might suffice it to say that all has its unique niche. But, some of you who know try to contextualize them for me.

I could probably do it from data gathered from the BB and personal experience, BUT I really need more data to make a learned decision and critique. Please advise and RSVP with some more opinions and insight.

Waiting to hear from you?

sdg!

rd