1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pensacola Theological Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Phil310, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hear in Boston they look out the window and say "Thank you Lord, we don't have to go to out of town for our skiing." They then put on their cross country skis and go off to work. :D

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    PCC's "Grad" school was formed because no reputable grad school/seminary would have any truck with the cult-like extreme KJVonly position that so many of the PCC college kids were coming out with.

They would immediately get straightened out in real seminaries. Dell Johnson and that Lutheran teacher that did videos and publicity for PCC did no favor. It showed how deeply entrenched that false doctrine (see forum on Bible Versions for discussion of that) is and how they needed to manufacture a "seminary" to continue building on the error.

Would NOT recommend it on a dare.

3. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

Thanks, Dr. Bob.

I watched those videos and the best I can tell, PCC is not KJVO as in the English version only but rather are TR/MT only. I can see how someone can be TR only but that would include all other translations (such as the NKJV) that were translated from the same Greek NT. They do not really go into much detail about that however. Almost neglect it altogether.

That said, I did get the picture they would NOT endorse the NKJV because of the supposed questionable OT text.

Anyway, thanks for your insight. I still have a ways to go in the seminary I'm currently attending (BMA Theological Seminary) before I consider when and where to do advanced studies.

Phil310

4. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Doc, I hate to disagree with a good man but I don't think this scoop on PCC grad school and seminary is accurate. If my recollection of long ago conversations with Ron Godwin, the architect of PCC, is correct, I believe it was his original intention to build a seminary/grad school. I know they had grad degrees in Bible long before the seminary was opened. Godwin’s intention was to build a seminary/grad school around bright young guys such as Walter Yoho. KJV was not an issue then. Do you have inside info to the contrary?

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was on campus at PC in 1971 and visited with some staff about the idea of a college. They were thinking of rivaling BJU (and have done so to an extent).

Seminary was NOT an issue, although they talked about MA and PhD like BJU.

A "seminary" is another animal and 35 years ago it wasn't discussed. But then, this was just a casual visit many many years ago.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A friend of mine became a Navy chaplain about two years ago and loves it. He wishes he had made that decision years ago. He is ambitious and loves dealing with the sailors. His BA was in psychology and then he went to seminary and got a Ph.D. He played football in high school, loves sports and is having the time of his life.

7. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

Thanks, gb93433, for the encouragement. I'm looking forward to getting along side the soldiers and strengthening their faith as well as leading them to faith!

8. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

As an Alumni of PCC and a supporter of the school, I will add my two cents.

Dr. Bob's evaluation once again is overstated. One must understand that {Personal attack deleted} PCC does hold strongly to the KJV. They do not subscribe to Ruckmans double inspiration though.

Another error that is given is that because PTS is not accredited, one cannot get into a branch of the military. Currently PCC Alumni are in 3 of the 4 branches of the military (Navy, Marines, Air Force). Pensacola has worked very hard to build a reputable seminary in a short period of time.

With that said, I do not recommend PTS for other reasons. My issue has to do with the lack of qualified professors at the seminary right now. In the last couple years the lost Dr. Johnson, Dr. Mutsch, Dr. Nonnemacher, and a couple others. With Dr. Rammell sick and the possible loss of one other professor, there seminary is now taught by primarily graduates of their own school. Many of which who have never pastored.

[ December 25, 2005, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: TomVols ]

9. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

Wow! I don't really keep up with these things lately. Too busy in school and ministry. What happened to Dr. Johnson, Dr. Mutsch, and Dr. Nonnemacher! Did they just move on or was there an issue!

Phil310

10. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

I examined the website. Their curriculum looks good. If you compare their faculty with other seminaries, though, it's not too impressive IMO. If an unaccredited, "pretty good education" is what you want, I guess it might do the trick.

11. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

Phil310,
    Dr. Mutsch and Dr. Johnson are now with CLA/ACE program.

Dr. Nonnemacher has take a church.

12. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Okay, you're probably right--I know nothing to contradict anything you've said. I cannot recall specifically if Ron Godwin used the word seminary. It is interesting that they no longer offer the Ph.D. in Bible but the D.Min. as a professional seminary degree.

13. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

14. patrioticcamerican

By "the possible loss of one other professor," do you mean Dr. Rammel or someone else? :confused:

15. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

Someone else