1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pensecola Christian Collage

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by DeclareHim, Jun 7, 2004.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

My feelings on the hurricane are well known. I am not a "blind follower" but fully accept that the choices made ny the school were measured and thought out and I commend them.

I do have issues with the school - not the least of which is their role in the versions debacle.

2. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

C4K,

Though I am in agreement with PCC on the translation issue, I have been in disagreement with them regarding how they have handled the issue. I was not specifically referring to you as a "blind follower".

As far as this discussion is concerned, we will all have to simply agree to disagree on the issue of the hurricane.

As far as the college is concerned, I believe that they are one of the best colleges in America to train non-ministerial students.

3. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Yep, I can't disagree with the facts as stated except your opinion on the venom. At least, I didn't call you a "whited wall." [​IMG]

4. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

No sir, this is patently false. I have not "continually labeled" you a whiner although I did suggest that you were whining. I addressed an action, a behavior that was open to observation from your own words. However, this is quite different from labeling your person as a whiner. To address another behavior, you don't use words very carefully either. To say that I have "continually labeled" you is to mean that I did this repeatedly. I defy you to find a single post, other than the one under discussion, where I alluded to whining. Do a cut-paste and prove me wrong! Give number, date, etc.

Furthermore, you are repeating inanities. I have never disagreed with the warnings, hurricane classification, keeping the students on campus, etc. Read my posts. What I have blasted are the armchair quarterbacks who know better than the people in charge. There are things that no one has mentioned. Lots of people couldn't get out of FL. I know people who got stuck. (You can't get gas--dealers won't empty their tanks--motels are full, shelters are full, etc.) It's the old sea-captain question of whether to put on sail and run before the wind or go bare sticks and ride it out. Do you know the answer?

Why don’t you read my Oct. 6 post again and answer the three (3) questions that I posed. You say that you’ve leveled no personal attacks—TRUE! But, you have not attacked my arguments either. You build straw men and puff them away by crying facts, facts, facts. Nonsense! You’ve offered your opinion. The facts, merger and general as they are, do not demand your conclusion. By the same token, I have not attacked your person even though I have roundly and soundly thrashed your opinions. Nothing wrong in that. Is there?

Furthermore, to cry foul because I criticize your opinions is simply paranoia. Don’t take things personally. I have no antagonism against you! If you can’t stand hot debate, then don’t try to debate me. You can simply ignore me!

The ironic thing of this whole debacle is that I would probably have sent the students home early (risk management) if I was in the decision-making seat. I was not and they did not. So, my argument is for consideration and fairness is critiquing another’s decision.

Finally, let's just drop the whole matter. It's not worth the bandwidth.

Have a nice day and best wishes. [​IMG]

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

My blind affection, huh? :rolleyes:

My blind affection! [​IMG]

Me? [​IMG]

Are you serious? [​IMG] (ROFL)

My . [​IMG] . my . [​IMG] . my blind . . . affection! (gasping for breath)

And Dr. Horton thought I was a no account troublemaker and rabble rouser! [​IMG]

Hey buddy! Would you please tell Dr. Horton that I came to his defense the next time that you see him. He's a good man--I like him. Thanks.

Hmmmmmmmmm . . .blind affection, huh? :D

6. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

What does this have to do with spiritual authority? :confused:

7. joyfulkeeperathome

joyfulkeeperathome New Member

Wow, this thread sure changed in a hurry....I just read 14 pages in one night.

Ok, I attended PCC, sure it's not perfect, but what school is?? I had a GREAT two and half years there. Let me tell you something, the food is the best!!!! I am not kidding, you cannot get better food at any other college. The variety and choices are amazing!

I didn't have a hard time following the rules (I'm a PK, so I'm used to rules) Weeell, I didn't follow all the rules, I listened to "bad" music sometimes....

As far as the education, I thought it was a great education, but they just didn't have any degrees for someone wanting to be a keeper at home...too bad!

I absolutely LOVE the preaching of Pastor Shettler (I was there when he told us we could still call him Pastor Shettler right after he got his doctorate, so he'll always be Pastor Shettler to me, not Dr.) He is such an incredible preacher!!!! I don't know about the whole campus church thing, right or wrong, but I do know that God is mightily using Pastor Shettler!!!

Wow, I had so much fun on that campus, we loved playing board and card games!!! I think I played games more than I studied (still had a 3.76 average) but I've never had to study much...I didn't like History of Civ....yucky class....

I loved Mr. Wilkinson, best Bible teacher they have!!!!

Ok, enough of my ramblings, these are just my opinions from being there....

8. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

Joyful,

I completely agree with you about the school, except the food. I was there prior to the buffet style. I enjoyed Pastor Shettler's preaching and I love the school. Hopefully it will still be an excellent school when my children are old enough to go.

9. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Garry,

You said you have misgivings about fundamentalism. I concur. So let me ask you this. Why in heaven's name would you allow your daughter to go to PCC? I cannot think of a more emotionally/spiritually stunting place than there.

10. Garry Geer

Garry Geer New Member

I think you are addressing the wrong person. I am currently discouraging my children from considering the college unless there are some major changes made.

11. foxrev

foxrev New Member

Gary Geer Says:
    3. The college felt it had authority over the students to tell them they could leave or go. (This is one of the big problems in fundamentalism, believing that a college has any spiritual authority.)

Excellent! [​IMG] You hit a great subject here Gary! Far too many graduates of Fundamental Schools "Bow down" to the leadership of their school and take whatever is stated by "DR. Know It All" as if he were a god of some kind. This is surely carnality in the name of spirituality.

12. pcs1991

pcs1991 New Member

Garry in what way do you think that PCC has spititual authority over the students? I am just wondering.

13. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

PCS,

It is not that they have sprititual authority, it is they think they have it. They think that they can tell students what the will of God is for their life. I am sure that Garry has a few other things.

14. joyfulkeeperathome

joyfulkeeperathome New Member

About the spiritual authority, I believe that when I was a PCC student, I accepted their authority b/c they were my authority at that time. I signed agreeing to their rules, so why wouldn't they be my authority at that time????

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Joyful,

That is the key point. When you agre to the rules you do choose to submit to their authority. They do not demand "bowing down to", but when you sign on the dotted line you have a responsibilty to obey. Its that simple. If you don't like - don't sign.

16. pcs1991

pcs1991 New Member

Pastor J

What is spititual authority?

C4K

I agree with you. If you decide to go to PCC and you sign on the dotted line then you need to submitt to their authority.

17. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen. The principle is not the right/wrong of the rules. It is the student's agreement to abide by the right/wrong rules no matter what.

That is a matter of spiritual submission to proper authority.

And the reason why I recommend EVERY student get a handbook from a prospective college. We asked for one from PCC and they would not send it. Can you believe they wanted this boy to sign up to attend and obey the rules WITHOUT TELLING HIM what the rules were!?!

THAT is evil and manipulative. And don't think PCC is the only school like that which requires BLIND submission (and a rude awakening later on).

18. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Dr. Bob is right- this has been (and I believe still is) the expectation at some Bible colleges. It basically amounts to "sign here at the bottom of this contract: we'll fill in the details later."

In how many other areas of life would we in our right minds do such a thing?

19. Garry Geer

Garry Geer New Member

When one comes to a college, one is basically saying, "I am paying you to have authority over me in order that you fulfill the service I am paying you to do." (Sorry for the redundancy).

That is not "God's authority" over you but rather contractural authority. You need to keep it in good conscience because you have agreed to do so and Christian's should be guided by honor and integrity.

On the other hand, PCC does not tell you before you come what their authority will encompass or what they will require of you.

If you decide in good conscience, after you have gotten there, that you do not agree with their authority, they will tell you, that you are rebelling against God.

In fact, disobedience to a none-moral rule is seen as direct rebellion against God. I agree that one should keep all rules if they agreed to it, yet one should be careful in claiming that God has flowed down those requirements to the college.

20. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, Garry. For if these rules were "God breathed" (in 1611 or 1980) THEY WOULD NEVER CHANGE!

But the student rule handbooks change regularly, showing they are of man's authority, not God's.

But if I say I will follow them, then it IS a spiritual issue for me so to do . .