1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pensecola Christian Collage

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by DeclareHim, Jun 7, 2004.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

She told me that - she is staying with Gramma back in Alabama at the moment - just talked to her today.

There are things abour PCC that I do not like, but as a missionary it is a GREAT comfort to know that my daughter is there in a protective environment

Thanks again Pastor J!

2. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

Your welcome,

Unfortuneately what people don't know about the city of Pensacola, is that it is a city. The college has done their best to protect the students. Over the years they have been extremely successful. Where are you a missionary to?

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Check your PM for a reply.

4. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

What kind of video's do they send out and what kind of institutions have they attacked I'm just wondering because I've heard this from several others. Some not on this board and I was wondering.

5. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

PCC came out with a series of videos. The first video is two separate chapel messages by Dr. Dell Johnson. Jack Hyles had made some statements at one of his conferences that PCC no longer held to the KJV and that Pastor's should not send their children to PCC. Dr. Horton felt that a response was necessary. The first video was sent out as a simple, but helpful, explanation of what PCC holds to and why. After this video was sent out, a member of the BJU faculty contacted Dr. Horton and voiced his concern that it was not Scholarly enough, it was too simple. PCC then came out with a second video that was more "scholarly" and in my opinion less helpful to the average person. PCC was then criticized for it's 2nd video by the same groups that criticized the first video. In video 3, entitled "the Leaven of Fundamentalism", PCC labeled BJU and it's "network" as the Leaven of Fundamentalism. They showed that a number of institutions who once held to the KJV and have switched to other versions were being led by a BJU grad or affiliate at the time of their change. They determined that BJU was the core of the problem because of their lack of stand on the preservation of Scripture. This led to a response from a coalition of colleges (PCC now calls the BJU Network). Videos 4 & 5 were to refute claims found within the videos.

On a personal note: I have spoken with Dr. Horton and Dr. Mutsch (then Assistant to the President) and have voiced my disapproval for my alma maters attack on other institutions. Though I agree with PCC on the debate, it is the Local churches responsibility to teach its people, not a college.

Hope that helped.

6. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Jack Hyles didn't know what he was talking about accusing pcc of using some other version besides the KJV. They will never use anything other than the KJV. Thanks for the answer.

7. superdave

superdave New Member

Not till a BJU grad becomes pres. [​IMG] [​IMG]

They were not just going after Hyles however, the onslaught became a very nasty us and them battle.

I have a rather funny mp3 called the kjv hillbillies, it is in reference to the PCC KJVO issue. Obviously to the tune of the Beverly Hillbillies. Here is the text :

I had a link to it, but its dead, you will have to sing it to yourself, or pm me, and i'll email you the file. I don't think its that big

8. aefting

aefting New Member

I thought the Horton's were BJ grads.

I also have that MP3. Haven't gotten the nerve to share with any of the PCC fans I know.

Andy

9. superdave

superdave New Member

They might be, I don't know, I was referring to the accusations made that several institutions jettisonned the KJV as soon as a BJ grad took over.

I live near Detroit Seminary, it seems this file is passed around there faster than e-sword modules of the Westcott-Hort Greek. I think two different students there sent it to me.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad to see you standing up for your alma mater, but this is a Baptist forum. Anyone Baptist knows that a local Baptist church is not run by a college, owned by a family, controled (as in even selecting a pastor) by the Hortons, etc etc. Baptists would call this a "sham", a travesty of the local church.

What is this teaching impressionable young people about Baptist distinctives? About congregational rule? About the primacy of the local church?

My prayer is that this is changing. That the fingers that dictate its policies will be pried off and that the Campus Church can truly be a fundamental Baptist congregation.

We disagree. But this doesn't change the fact that it is a SHAM and a SHAME.

11. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    On his last post, I must concur with Dr. Bob. From a Historical Baptist perspective, the Campus Church does not meet the criteria for a NT church. This definition by the late Dr. Richard Weeks pretty much sums up where Dr. Bob, me and others of our ilk come from:

12. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Thats hilarious (the song) [​IMG]

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Disagree - while not in any means in that camp this kind of mockery does nothing but exacerbate an already volatile situation.

14. aefting

aefting New Member

I don't know. In some ways I view it as legitimate satire. Jesus used satire in his polemics against the Pharasees (e.g., Matt. 23:24). I believe Isaiah 14 includes much satire against the King of Babylon. The NAS, NIV, and ESV even call it a taunt (Isa. 14:4).

Andy

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

But Jesus and His word are perfect. No poster on the BB has the same qualification.

16. aefting

aefting New Member

I would be careful with using arguments like that. Both Christ and His Word are to be followed by us whether we are perfect or not. Now you might argue that someone is not following their example correctly or that the example doesn't apply in this case for such and such reasons.

If PCC simply held to their position and promoted it as the correct position, that would be one thing. But attacking every other major fundamental institution with their Leaven of Fundamentalism video and thereby promoting schisms and unorthodoxy in the Body of Christ deserves a response of some kind. Certainly it deserved the reasoned response by the BJU Bible faculty (http://www.bju.edu/aboutbju/special_articles/letter) and the video jointly produced by several of the institutions also attacked by PCC. And as I posted previously, I'm not convinced that the satirical recording is also not appropriate. I think it shows the folly of their position much in the same way that Isaiah 14 shows the folly of the King of Babylon and Matt 23 shows the folly of the Pharasees.

Andy

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

"A response of some kind" is key and that is reasonable. The reasoned response by BJU and others is fine.

I still think that we are too quick to use mockery and ridicule as tools of debate.

18. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

The definition of a local church is simply a called out body of local believers to worship God. There are two ordinances and one required office and one optional. Though, I do not believe that PCC is a local church ministry, as said before, the campus church is a local church. It is a body of believers who assemble for the purpose of worshipping God. They partake in the ordinances and have a Pastor who leads them. They do not have deacons, but deacons are not a requirement of a local church. The apostles were told to have the church call out seven men, because there were problems. My church does not have deacons, because no one is qualified to be one. Am I still a local church. Yes!

I do agree with you that PCC should have taken it's stand and published it, but went too far when they published video #3. However, with that said, I would not call BJU and some of the other institutions mentioned in the video "Fundamental Baptists". Some of these institutions do not even claim to be Baptist, as PCC does.

I agree with C4K in that the response from the other side has been just as awful as PCC's decision to make the 3rd video. Though I believe this is an important issue that we face, it is not an issue that we should cause division over.

19. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I won't speak for Dr. Bob on this point. But I'll venture this opinion on my own hook.

To me the Campus Church falls short not in its lack of formal deacons (every church has them de facto if not de jure), it falls short in how its pastor is chosen. It goes to the root of congregational rule of a local assembly. In the grand polity scheme, we Baptists are congregationalists not presbyterians or episcopalians. The pastorate of a Baptist church is not a benefice held at the pleasure of a local lord. We are no man's dominie.

20. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

If your definition of a deacon is simply a servant, then the Campus church would meet that qualifications. They have many men who perform the position of deacon without the title.

As far as church polity is concerned, I would be interested to see a scriptural basis for a congregational led church. The congregation selected the deacons, but Paul told Timothy to appoint elders in every city. Doesn't sound much like congregational rule to me. It sounds like Pastor led churches.

I will agree with you that I do not like the fact that Dr. & Mrs. Horton have the say that they do within the church, however, from talking with Pastor Shettler, he has the freedom to lead his church, select guest preachers, etc.