1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pensecola Christian Collage

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by DeclareHim, Jun 7, 2004.

1. superdave

superdave New Member

American culture just doesn't appreciate Satire. I should move to the U.K.

2. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

I would recommend this to anyone. My daughter went there for kindergarden and it was a good experience. I know of teachers that attend my church and they are wonderful Christians who teach and believe the word of God. But like all schools, they are made up of sinners, some saved, some not. But I would give it a [​IMG]

3. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

I cannot speak to the current teachings. However, when I was a student, yes they did teach about the proper NT Baptist church model.

They taught that Deacons and the Pastor were the two offices in a church and that a church should have deacons if they are needed and men are qualified.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah? Does the Campus Church have deacons? If so, what are their functions? Who governs the church? Do they have a congregational form of church government? Does the congregation vote on how money is spent, etc.? Who calls (i.e. selects) the pastor? Does the Campus Church have church membership? Do the members tithe to the Campus Church? Do they hold business meetings? So, is the Campus Church a pattern of a Baptist church?

4. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

G'bye! [​IMG]

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

The vast majority of students and faculty are Baptist, even though there are some presbyterians and a significant number from Bible-type churches. Not sure how the Baptist schedule differs from the non-Baptist schedule.

Andy
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yeah, and there's a pretty strong anti-Baptist bias among many. Perhaps it is more of a snotty attitude than a bias. It's beneath their intellectual pretensions. :rolleyes:

6. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

That's assuming they go to Sunday night services. My impression is that a significant number don't. In fact, the faculty has not always had the reputation in years past of being faithful on Sunday evenings and Wednesday. It's family time, you know?

7. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

True! However, you will notice that some of the Presbyterians on faculty have left since a well-known independent Baptist evangelist had a heart-to-heart talk with Dr. Bob,III. When Dr. Bob asked why some independent Baptist pastors were no longer sending their students to BJU, the evangelist replied, "Well, Dr. Bob, they're tired of sending you good Baptist kids who come back home Presbyterians."

Some of the older guys,who taught the younger faculty (e.g. Hankins,Hand,et. al.) , were Presbyterians (e.g. Dr. Charles Brokenshire, Dr. Marshall Neal, etc.), so their influence remains. Dr. Stewart Custer, who had a tremendous part in training the younger faculty, was taught by Dr. Brokenshire. Although Custer is not Presbyterian, he is pastor of a Bible Church, not Baptist. Dr. Michael Barrett has left after 30 years to head up the Bible college for Faith Free Presbyterian Church. Dr. Rude*, who was supposedly somewhat converted to this view, is gone too.

My point is that the present School of Religion and Bob Jones Seminary faculty were greatly influenced by Drs. Brokenshire and Neal (Dean of School of Religion for many years)who shaped the theology and thinking of their students, the present faculty. So, the Presbyterian influence remains.

*NOTE: This is somewhat a mystery since the Terry Rude that I knew 30+ years ago, when he first came to BJU from CA, was very much of the opposite persuasion. :confused: Did teaching on the BJU Bible faculty change him?

8. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Since you didn't get the joke, Ill explain the punch line.

PCC has a BJU grad as president, and yet, they haven't abandoned the "true" Word of God. Isn't it Ironic, Don't you think. Given the premise of their argument about grads from all these other compromising institutions and their lack of committment to the ol' AV

I'm not [​IMG] , :( , or :mad: , but :rolleyes:
    </font>[/QUOTE]Read it again! Think! I'm still one level deeper than you. :rolleyes: Do you understand now?

BTW, anytime that you have to explain the punch line, the joke ain't funny! :D

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anything about BJU and PCC in a BAPTIST setting like this Board is usually a "joke"!! :eek:

Even the spelling of the topic!! :rolleyes:

10. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

BAPTIST? And all the time I thought this was a Blablist board! [​IMG]

11. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Yeah, Dr. Bob, you jest ain't lived in tuh deep South. Just like the old Greyhound bus driver would say, "This heah's Pensecoler Florider."

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    With a handle like Paid a Go-Go's (I've wondered about your relationship with a dance hall) I guess I will only smile over the language gaff. [​IMG]

Forgot you were from Carolina and Suthran! :eek:

13. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Yep,Bob. Them go go's is done gone gone. After all, go-go's were a 60's thing. Disco gone too. You do remember them, don't you, Bob? :cool:

14. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

In a previous posting on this thread, I mentioned Dr. Terry Rude who was a long-time Bible faculty member at BJU. When he first arrived at BJU, he was KJV and Textus Receptus (Dean Burgon's fan). When he left, I'm not so sure.

For Dr. Bob's benefit (I mean Dr. Bob G., not Dr. Bob, III), Dr. Rude was a passionate Southerner and member of the SCV.

Nuff said. After all, this is supposedly a PCC thread and we're talking BJU.

15. aefting

aefting New Member

Faith Free Presbyterian in Greenville, where Dr. Rude probably went, is TR/KJV. They are not militant and hold their position on this issue very graciously. Quite refreshing. Dr. Cairns, who is the pastor there, has several interesting articles on textual criticism in his excellent Dictionary of Theological Terms. I believe he does follow Dean Burgon in several places.

Andy

16. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

Where did Dr. Rude go after he left BJU?

17. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    PCC, BJU? Same cut of cloth, right? :eek: :eek:

Agree to keep this thread PCC. If anyone wants to start a BJU-is-going-to-the-devil thread [​IMG] [​IMG] then go for it!

18. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Don't know--may be. I do think Dr. Rude is still around G'ville though, so you're probably right. The catch is that Michael Barrett, who is Dean of the Bible college (Geneva Reformed Seminary) at FFPC, is probably not TR/KJV though. As I recall, he was a big NASB fan. I suppose they are tolerant of divergent views on this topic.

19. RLL

RLL New Member

I went to Bob Jones University back from 1976-78(Boy That makes Me Old!!),and did get a good Bible bases education. My wife and I are active in a solid Southern Baptist Church now. You just have to seek the Lord's wisdom at where HE wants you to attend college. Always remember it is all about Jesus,and not about us!! [​IMG]

20. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Of course they're of the same cloth and pattern. When PCC began, it had 80-90% of its faculty from BJU including the founder(s?). Dr. Ron Godwin (1st PCC Dean), who planned and designed PCC, was a BJU grad. Most of the early faculty did their grad work at BJ. PCC just tried to be more BJ than BJ. [​IMG]