1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pensecola Christian Collage

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by DeclareHim, Jun 7, 2004.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Yup - literally just talked to my daughter on her cell phone. They took a pretty good hit and there is moderate damage on campus, but no injuries or fatalities.

No water or power at the moment, or for the immediate future, but as of 3.00 PCC time they were moving the kids back to their rooms.

2. LarryN

LarryN New Member

I've heard through the grapevine (NO CONFIRMATION OF THIS) that the Fieldhouse had a portion of the roof collapse, and that the DHA roof leaked some. Also, the expected landscaping (trees, etc.) damage.

3. superdave

superdave New Member

[​IMG] :D [​IMG]

4. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

The field house's roof did partially collapse. The Dale Horton Auditorium did have some leaking. They also lost a few windows in a couple of the buildings along with damage to one of the Guys dorms (not significant from what I have been told). No one was injured on campus!!

They have limited power because of the generators that they have on each building. They have no running water. All students were told to fill their tubs prior to the hurricane so that they would have water for flushing toilets. As of this afternoon, they were still planning on restarting the semester on Monday, though I do not believe that is going to be possible.

5. LarryN

LarryN New Member

I found this post by Ryan Debarr; posted today (09/17) in the PCC section of the Fundamentalist Forums:

"PCC is understating the damage...

The Field House roof partially collapsed. The Swim Center had a wall collapse. The old cafeteria (VC) may have sustained structural damage, and they're also looking at the Academy (PCA).

West Campus on Perdido Bay was totally destroyed. Many staff homes were damaged.

Many trees on campus are down, and several cars were destroyed with many others damaged. Windows are blown out all across campus. 90% of the windows in the Creative Arts building are gone, and one or two dormatory lobbies sustained major damage.

There is no water or sewage, and only limited electrical backup capacity.

Yesterday they were saying there would be class on Monday, but today they are letting students go home."

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Mr DeBarr also reported on his board that the students went 18 hours without food. My daughter said that they had "hurricane boxes" of food with them through the storm. He also said they had very little water, but my daughter told me there was bottled water all along. They were served a hot meal on Thrusday night. I feel the truth is going to be someplace in between the reports that we are hearing.

7. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

I just spoke with one of our kids. Many of the students have left the campus at this point. Those who are still there do not have full electricity and they do not have running water. Mr. DeBarr's reports are accurate with the exception of the food situation. The students have received hot meals last night and today. Classes are postponed through Wednesday now and there is a possibility that the rest of the semester will be canceled.

PCC has grossly misrepresented the actual damage. I spoke with a local pastor who drove through the campus today and found the following:
    Field house roof severely damaged
    Many windows in the Admin building now boarded up
    Communicative arts building damaged
    Dale Horton Roof damaged
    At least two dorms had damage
    This is just what he saw. I have been told of significant interior damage in the buildings that lost windows.

Though this is minimal in comparison to the rest of Pensacola, it is not minimal damage.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I am not doubting the seriousness of the damage. The food/water situation appeared to be a deliberate slam since there was no way to blame PCC for the hurricane a way had to be found to be critical.

The misrepresentation on the food/water situation hurt the credibilty of the other reports.

9. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

Good news today. They now have power restored. The water is still contaminated, but they can now take showers

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Sorry for the double post. I just rang their 24 hour hurricane information number and according to it all power, water, and A/C are back up and classes resume at 8.00 Moday morning!

WOW!!

5000+ people on campus, no injuries, and four days later they are back in class!

Fantastic job here folks, no matter what you may think of the school!

12. aefting

aefting New Member

We had 7 PCC hurricane refugees at our church this morning. Only one is a member; others either came with him or had other relatives in the area. None of them had anything negative to say about how things were handled -- they were all thankful for how the Lord provided for and protected them, especially gas for their trip north. They were not clear if class would really start on Monday or when they had to be back.

Andy

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Just rang the PCC hurricane info line again updated to noon today CDT - quote "Classes will resume at 8.00 on Monday"

If your folks are still around and don't have the information number PM me and I will forward it to you.

14. aefting

aefting New Member

They left. The dad is not so sure that they will make it back before the city's imposed curfew (7:00pm ????), however.

Andy

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I know...my first irritation through this. The hurricane info line should have had a note reminding those travelling about the curfew.

My daughter and two others left Huntsville, AL but did not think of the curfew :( when they left. The closest hotel they could get was north of Montgomery.

The college has assured us that they understand the dilemma, but still...

16. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Dr. & Mrs. Horton lost their house. PCC, however, seemed to have been prepared and handled the situation as well as it could be handled. (See the PCC website.) On the other hand, I am sure that they couldn't please everyone. And, rumors will be rife. What more can you expect?

[ September 24, 2004, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: paidagogos ]

17. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

I love PCC and have supported PCC for many years. However, I would completely disagree that PCC handled the situation as well as it could be handled. The campus of PCC is located below I-10. There was a mandatory evacuation of everyone below I-10. MSNBC reported that PCC was the only school in the Hurricane strike zone (over 100 miles) that did not evacuate. Though no one was hurt, this does not change the fact that PCC should have evacuated on Monday when the evacuation orders were being issued. They did not allow their students to leave until Tues. at 4pm. At this time they told the students that they could leave, but that they should stay because they would be safe in the buildings. It is completely irresponsible to keep 3500+ students in the path of a Category 4 Hurricane.

18. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Yeah, but you have to really be in the position and having made a few of these kinds of decisions to really appreciate the gravity and weight of such calls. It's rather like the best coaches are the armchair coaches in front of the TV. [​IMG]

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Pastor J knows that I disagree onhis call on this one.

But here's a good news story about PCC that we can all agree on

PCC Students lend helping hand

20. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

Paidogopos,

I was at PCC when Hurricane Andrew hit Florida and Louisiana/Tesax. I remember after this storm most people realized that a Category 4 or 5 Hurricane is not something that should be messed with. Since Hurricane Andrew, the authorities have made decisions to evacuate from these hurricanes earlier for the safety of people. PCC made a decision to keep 3500+ students in the direct path of a Category 4 Hurricane, even though they were in a mandatory evacuation zone. Even though millions of people evacuated the gulf area. Though the results were wonderful in that no one was hurt, it does not change the fact the PCC made a foolish decision.

C4K, I am glad to hear that PCC is in the community helping even though that the majority of homes they have helped have been staff and their friends and neighbors.