1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pentecostal Order of Salvation

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by rockytopva, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:13

Press... diōkō in the Greek.... To pursue (in a hostile manner), to seek after eagerly, earnestly endeavoring to acquire.

2. Barry Johnson

Barry Johnson Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you read this as salvation being a ' prize '?
    does it say anything about earning salvation by your own efforts in that verse ? or in the context of the book of Phil? Especially as this is the strongest church ?

3. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Phil 3;14 .

4. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But it all spelled damnation for the self-appointed priest. Just as it does today for the self-made Christian.

5. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Self-made Christian? If you just float out there in this Laodicean age your life will also drift from hot to lukewarm to cold! I would also think it is going to take some fasting and prayer just to avoid going cold these days! As I believe this the Laodicean age I would also think going cold a characteristic to be aware of in every denomination and to watch that a church does not cease to exist once the grey hairs cross the great river!

And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold. But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. - Matthew 24:12-13

Endure - hypomenō - To persevere: under misfortunes and trials to hold fast to one's faith in Christ.

6. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We got a new pastor who graduated with a Masters degree from Liberty University. I have no issue with his doctrine or mindset. The problem is, though, the poor man has no fire on the inside. His spiritual man does not seem to possess what his mental doctrine professes! I think there is a danger these days of having a man brought up in correct doctrine, yet not having such spirituality birthed on the inside, or even... Loosing that which was first experienced!

My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you... - Galatians 4:19

Travail - ōdin - The pain of childbirth, travail pain, birth pangs, intolerable anguish, in reference to the dire calamities precede the advent of the Messiah.

7. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone who must choose to be a "Christian" is self-made and not the real thing.

8. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I fell in with Christianity by attending Baptist retreats as a young teenager and Pentecostal Holiness revivals as a older teenager. I felt the clean effects of sanctification, from dwelling where I labeled the inside temple, in both movements. In the inside temple there was good music, a time in the word, quality christian fellowship, and altar services after the message. As a young teenager I would go up to the altar after the Baptist message and feel a clean sensation as I was in the midst of a very evil school system. I must say also that the Baptist young people were clean cut and very sharp looking

Whether I chose Christ or Christ chose me is not the issue with me, especially as Calvin was thankfully not taught in the Baptist churches I attended. The issue was that I had received spiritual blessings, and that was good enough for me.

9. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sports fans grab the same buzz Pentecostals do. It's all about adrenaline. Catholics grab a pseudo relief from their sins at confession. But God chooses whom he will save and they do nothing more than responding to his input in their hearts.

10. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would fear going overly Sardisean and ending up saved, but spiritually dead.

And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead. - Revelation 3:1

And I believe the message to the Calvinist....

He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.- Revelation 3:5

11. Barry Johnson

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats during the Tribulation . Endure to the end ..the tribulation . saved ? physically ? spiritually ? Why have you assumed Jesus is telling the diciples from the moment they are saved till they die they have to endure . The Gospel as described in 1 cor 15 is not ' endure till the end ' . Jesus is saying they will have to endure ( dont take the Mark of the beast ect ) the Tribulation.

12. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was a Pentecostal for years and saw those adrenalin junkies lining up for their fix years. They are clueless about what Acts really says. Or about true spirituality.

13. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I had a book ministry at work in which some guy, after reading one of the testimonial books, wanted to get saved but not in my Pentecostal Holiness church. I had a friend I knew as Ray who was Baptist, well a soul saved is a soul saved! So off to the Calvinistic Baptist church we went! Well, they had a Franklin Graham testimonial film that Sunday night and my friend goes up to get saved... Only... There is no altar! Some guy gets my friend and takes him to a Sunday School room and begins to talk all that doctrine.... Now get the picture... Here is a guy ready to receive Christ with tears running down his cheek and he is getting doctrinalized! I was thinking to myself for the crying out loud say the sinners prayer! Let him acknowledge Christ so he can go through to salvation!

Even though it was Calvinist Baptist they had all the right environment for salvation in what I would call the inner temple. Good music, emotional testimony, a time in the word, and altar service. I minded my manners, but at one point I interrupted to say a salvation prayer with the man.

14. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I find myself reminding them more and more that the ego of man is not the unction of God! @Salty started a thread, Have you ever heard of this denomination?, in which researching the Baptist Church of Christ I found they did have foot washing services, and found myself desiring to visit. Footwashings are good! I remembering attending with the Freewill Baptist and leaving with a clean sensation on the inside, which I would call sanctification.

15. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's the big stuff that Pentecostals get wrong to a man.

16. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What I would call the Philadelphian age encompassed much Christian conference. If they could not sense Christ in the experience they would tell you to come back tomorrow night, and smile a little as they said it. My old Pentecostal Holiness pastor was a good example of sanctification and dwelling in the inside temple....

1. Very disciplined guy - Up at 6AM every morning
    2. Rejoiced in what he called being a Pentecostal Holiness country preacher
    3. Revivals - At least one every two months - All with unique and good evangelists
    4. Would let the Holy Spirit have his way in service
    5. Take time to pray for the sick at church and in the hospitals. Carried a bottle of anointing oil with him
    6. Was a friendly guy and would come visit you
    7. Loved God and very Christlike.
    8. A great, loving, and supportive family man as well
    9. No allegations against the guy the 30 years he was with us

[​IMG]

Our church board thought replacing him would be easy. They have been through many pastors since and the church has done poorly.

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out.... - Revelation 3:12

The problem with Pentecostal churches is that they are in and out of revival. Some have forever lost the sense of revival with others never having experiencing it to begin with.

17. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    You cannot grasp Revelation unless you have the basics of Christ's kingdom teaching which is missing in all Pentecostal Churches I've been involved with.

18. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A church's stance on footwashing is the "big stuff"?

19. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't know what churches you are talking about so I can't reply. I find myself wondering where I would be if I were a young person these days. There are not many quality Christian conferences going on these days.

20. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are paining with an excessively wide brush. Not all Pentecostals "to a man" get the big stuff wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.