1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pentecostal Preacher who denied hell on Dateline

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Marcia, Aug 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Pearson announced awhile ago he does not believe in hell anymore. He's going to be on Dateline this Sunday, Aug. 13.

2. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

#2 JamieinNH, Aug 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2006
  3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Sad, I went to hear him preach once. It's the only time I ever intentionally walked out on a sermon. I just couldn't take anymore and so many people were agreeing with him.

4. Daughter

Daughter New Member

What was the gist of the sermon?

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

If I remember right, that was the problem. He was up about 30 minutes, had not taken a text and was bouncing around from cliche to cliche. People were cheering and shouting to cliche's which is like a foodless meal to me??? I didn't get it so we left.

6. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Why is a belief in Hell necessary for salvation?

7. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

If there is no hell, what did Christ redeem us from? :confused:

8. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Hmmm... the short answer would be to point out that we weren't redeemed from anything, but to eternal life with God.

9. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Good grief. Turn a news item into a debate. Incredible.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I do not think it is necessary for the moment of salvation. But over time, if a believer does not accept this, it means he/she is ignoring the clear teaching of scripture, imo. I would still consider the person a believer, although it makes me think they do not have the same view of the Bible that I do.

God did not just save us for eternal life but saved us from His wrath.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

These comments are not helpful. Look at the top - you are on a debate forum! Don't come here if you don't like it. News items here often turn into debates. :smilewinkgrin:

12. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

You beat me to it!

13. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

There are Christians who would argue that Scripture doesn't have a really clear teaching about Hell, so it isn't a matter of ignoring, but of a differing understanding of Scripture.

A very good point.

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I saw the Dateline show. Pearson found refuge in a church in San Francisco with a lesbian pastor and a lot of what the show called "rejected" people from the church (I think the show was implying actively practicing homosexuals).

This is how the media terms it, so it makes Christians look mean. I do think the church needs to reach out to all kinds of people - heavens, I led an outreach to 2 Marilyn Manson concerts, so I'm hardly one to back away from that (I've done other outreaches as well). However, we cannot go against the Bible and accept active homosexual practice as a good thing within the church. But the media and others always present a false dichotomy on this - either Christians are mean and have no compassion OR they should be welcoming actively practicing homosexuals into the church. They ignore the fact that many churches have AIDS ministries.

But Pearson said he felt wonderful at this church, and now he has another church going or else is participating in this one. I'm not clear on that.

15. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

A lot of the discussion about homosexuality and the church has to do with Scriptural understanding and interpretation. Some folks think that the way Paul speaks of homosexuality and the modern reality of it are actually two different things -- the Pauline having more to do with idol worship and pederasty, for example.

In any case, I would argue that restricting membership to a church based on anything besides a confession of faith in Jesus Christ is a mistake, but then I'm a liberal Presbyterian.

16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

We know sex outside marriage is forbidden - that is pretty clear in the Bible. And we see nowhere in the Bible where a union of man with man or woman with woman is marriage in God's eyes. I've seen the arguments used by pro-homosexual activists from the Bible and they are very weak. I have links to several sites that deal with their arguments and ably refute them, one by one.

Just from nature, it is clear that woman was designed to be with man, not for men or women to be with the same sex.

I see your point, and I realize there are people struggling with homosexual feelings who are believers. But that does not make those feelings or attractions biblically acceptable. It is when such activity is advocated or practiced that I think a line has been crossed biblically.

17. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I seen this on dateline. It seems that while questioning the goodness of God this preacher heard a physical voice telling him something outside of scripture.

Hummm.... RED FLAGS.

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

You're right DeeJay! I forgot about that when I posted about the show. Thanks for the reminder. :wavey:

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Here's a link to the transcript of the segment on Pearson on Dateline:
    http://www.religionnewsblog.com/15630

From that link, here is what Pearson says he heard from God that turned him around:

#19 Marcia, Aug 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2006
  20. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

I find his attitude toward redemption refreshing, if his theology a bit hinky.

Honestly, why can we not share the love and message of the Good News without trying to scare people first or during? What, honestly, is "good" about telling someone about burning forever simply for being as human as everyone else is? Rather, is it not a better approach to smother them with the holy love of Jesus Christ, and let the "hell talk" come later, if a t all?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.