1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

People’s Feet

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Benjamin, May 30, 2012.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    During my clinical rotations I saw a lot of people’s feet that were seriously messed-up! I can only assume much of this is caused by muscular imbalances and realize it is often due to co-morbidities not specifically related to the feet other than facilitating a condition of disuse leading to those muscular imbalances.

Being that we stay optimally mobile by being able to walk on these things in the best condition possible. Have you considered the condition of your feet and do you do anything to maintain their upkeep?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do, but my situation is unique. I crushed my foot in '05. The lymph nodes were crushed and never healed fully, leaving me with lymphedema in my left foot. Since this is a chronic condition, I had to learn manual lymphatic drainage technique and also wear a compression toe sock. I also am very careful to not step on anything as to avoid infection.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Because of my husband's severe foot injury, we consider feet a lot.

My feet are in pretty good shape but I do have bunions which is weird since I HATE high heels and tight shoes with a passion. Give me a nice sneaker or flip flop and I'm happy. Other than that, they give me no trouble. I just have to watch my achilles tendon on my left foot because that was partially torn about 24 years ago and it still will cause some swelling here and there.

Hubby is another story. He has to wear good shoes with good arch support because of his injury. 8 years ago he fell off the roof and did major damage to his foot. "Nutcracker dislocation" (his entire midfoot was pushed up due to him landing on the ball of his foot) along with 5 fractures and severe soft tissue damage - yet a misdiagnosis at the time of injury left him with severe pain and arthritis. He finally had surgery 4 weeks after the injury but it was just to "salvage" what they could of the use of his foot. Someday he will choose to have the joints fused to decrease the pain and that time is coming close. :(

4. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Like most folk I ignored my feet whilst they worked at mobilising my admittedly heavy frame around.

I have had the odd bout of gout.....a very unamusing condition.

Most recently I have had a plantar fascititis which made every step a penance. It also highlighted the importance of one's feet. It is terrifying to consider the reduction of your pedal transportation.

I found profound relief through the treatment by an osteopath. A gentle manipulation which made things in my back creak and twitch but it has been very worthwhile.

More recently my headaches are so ghastly, I have found my old tramping pole a useful thing when getting up in the morning as the fear of falling has been getting worse. I probably should visit the quack but I shall wait a bit until I must through scripts and things.....it is a significant cost to visit, and yes there are free clinics which are peopled by folk whom I believe havefound their qualifications at the bottom of a cereal packet!

Benjamin, what are you studying?

5. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Ann, your hubby's feet may be in bad shape, but you can always keep in mind this verse:

"How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!" --- Isaiah 52:7

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Amen!! And hubby has said that it gives him a new heart for those who deal with chronic pain. Before this he didn't get it but now? Yeah, he's right there with them.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The great thing as a believer is to know that the temporary ailments / defects are also temporary! Compared to eternity, some million years from now we will laugh at just how short and temporary the things we go through now are.

8. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Briony, I have recently graduated as a Physical Therapist Assistant, same as Physiotherapist in your neck of the woods.

A couple things that come to mind about your post is that you are WAY too young to be experiencing all these issues and the first thing I would tell you is that your feet are symptoms of what appears to be major issues due to and calling for major lifestyle adjustments for a better quality of life. I think a quick look in the mirrorand common sense will tell you where those changes should start. I have no doubt that you can make the necessary changes and it starts with forming new good habits and these will certainly require a great amount of effort and self-discipline which takes a lot motivation and that comes in seeing the results as you stick to the program. Ask God to strengthen and guide you; I am sure He will work with you and bless you along the way and you have my prayers.

Be sure to sit a minute before getting up to make sure you have your balance and don't let those headaches, which are most likely more symptoms related to the same condition go too long. Love your self enough to seriously do something about this, God does.

I'm taking a vacation from the board but wanted to answer before I leave.

God bless you.

9. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I wash my feet and trim my nails and that's it.