1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

People , or Males ?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So , I was thinking ( a dangerous proposition at times ) ... Some of you object to renderings which the translators of the NLTse , NRSV and TNIV translate as inclusive . These translators considered those passages as being generic , and not exclusively the providence of men = non-women .

Now obviously there are a large number of passages in which the words "man" and "men" should be retained , women are not in view in those verses . The book of Numbers has quite a few : 1:20,22,24,26,28,30,32,34,36,38,40,42 and so on and so forth .

However , there are a large quanity of verses in which the KJV , and NKJ for example , put in the words "man" and "men" . The translators understood these terms to reflect on people in general , not males only .

But some folks out there in BB-land think that "man" and "men" should be kept for various reasons ( mainly ill-founded , in my estimation ) . Many people these days , when they hear the words "man" or "men" think males . There is no conspiracy afoot -- language changes -- young folks in particular think literally when they see these words . A Bible translation should be understandable to its audience . That is basic . Because Biblish is so pervasive in some versions it actually obscures truth -- it does not make it clear .

I thought it would be fun to use some terminology for SOME SELECT VERSES . I will use "adult males" and "males" . Yet "non-females" ,"believing males" , "males in spiritual kinship with one another" , or "males having union with one another in the spiritual community" could have been used with other passages not listed .

Matt. 6:5 : And when you pray , do not be like the hypocrites , for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by adult males . I tell you the truth , they have received their reward in full .

Matt. 6:14,15 : For if you forgive males when they sin against you , your heavenly Father will also forgive you . But if you do not forgive males their sins , your Father will not forgive your sins .

Matt. 12:31 : And so I tell you , every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven adult males , but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven .

Matt. 23:28 : In the same way , on the outside you appear to males as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness .

Luke 1:25 : The Lord has done this for me , she said . In these days he has shown his favor and taken away my disgrace among the Hebrew males .

John 4:28 : Then , leaving her water jar , the woman went back to the town and said to the males

Acts 17:30 : In the past God overlooked such ignorance , but now he commands all adult males everywhere to repent .

Phil. 4:5 : Let your gentleness be evident to all males . The Lord is near .

Titus 2:11 : For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all adult males .

Titus 3:8 : This is a trustworthy saying . And I want you to stress these things , so that those adult males who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good .

#1 Rippon, Jun 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2007