1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured People stink

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Mar 22, 2014.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    needs a little adjustment in the 'sights' but considering it hit the edge of the bulls-eye I'd give it a :thumbs:

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, your even attempting to make anyone's Christian beliefs analogous to Adolf Hitler & Nazism is both rude & distasteful. FYI, the Nazi party had the agenda to stamp out Christianity in total & replace it with some bastardized Germanic paganism. If these monsters had there own way, all Jews, all Christians, all non whites & all Slavic races would have been exterminated.....so I not only reject your analogy, I also see it as a sick suggestion to even make.

Next, it has been pointed out to you that your understanding of scripture is quite flawed & that in itself leads you to your conclusions. At this point, my position rests with the Calvinistic interpretation.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

Hitler believed in a certain elect people, not unlike the Calvinist view. He believed that it was good to wipe out the non elect, as Calvinists believe the same.

Calvinism has had a tremendous effect on history. I would say that wiping out the American Indians or the blacks of South Africa can be traced directly to Calvinism and the belief in an elect people.

https://www.ucumberlands.edu/academics/history/files/vol3/BlakeWilliams91.htm

I realize this will offend Calvinists, but I believe there is credibility to this view.

As far as scripture, all you have to do is show me my interpretations are wrong. I constantly post the scripture I believe supports my view out there. The only argument I seem to get is that I am accused of "believing scripture for what it says". Last week I believe it was Tim who called me a "literalist". I plead GUILTY.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I never said we should not be doing those things. I am saying you are doing a very poor job at it yourself if you are not linking yourself to the larger Body of Christ to do it.

"Two are better than one for they have a good reward for their labor." Ecc. 4

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Nobody else gets to be self-centered because nobody else is the pinnacle, the highest height, the greatest glory, perfection, holiness, power, love.

For God to put anything above himself would be for God to sin.

EVERY being, including God, must put the highest value on God or sin because to do otherwise is to put the highest value where it does not belong- on that which is NOT the highest value.

God cannot do that.

God considers himself to be the highest value- BECAUSE HE IS!

Man and God must put the highest value on, not man, but God.

You, however, Winman put the highest value on yourself and wicked, sinful mankind. And you have GOD ALMIGHTY doing the same.

Let's be clear. It's blasphemy in the highest degree.

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I have heard the question asked in the past: Why did God create? Insofar as I know the only place in the Bible where this question is answered directly is in the Book of Revelation, Verse 4:11. Now I have read this verse many times but until I began teaching the Book of Revelation what it said did not really register. {That is one reason Scripture must be studied, not simply read.}

Revelation 4:11. Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

For all those critics who question God on this Forum I would simply point out why God created: for thy pleasure they are and were created.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who told you I dont interact with other Christians. Besides, even if I was alone, i would not be alone....I think you forget.

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

Dude, you are totally whacked, but I do respect that you are a consistent Calvinist unlike many here. You are a modern day Arthur Pink.

John 3:16 does not say God gave his only begotten son to glorify himself, but because he LOVED the world. Love is the absolute OPPOSITE of being self-centered.

Jhn 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

The word "that" tells us WHY God gave his son Jesus. It was not to glorify himself, but because he loved all men.

9. OldRegular

And then there is this one:

Isaiah 40:22. It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

Old Regular, no one is denying that God is absolutely worthy of worship, praise, and glory. But God is not obsessed with himself. God loved us so much that he came down from heaven and became less than the angels in order that he might satisfy the law and die to redeem us. He could have stayed in heaven and let us all justly go to hell.

Phl 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
    6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
    7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
    8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
    9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
    10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
    11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

We are to be of the same mind as Jesus, who HUMBLED himself, and made himself of no reputation, and became obedient, even unto death.

Imagine that, God becoming obedient. You won't hear that preached in Reformed churches.

Think on that one for awhile.

11. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Hey!!!! The Blackberry is a great device. I owned one for years. In some ways I miss it as it had some things the iPhone is lacking. If I was in a situation where I read lots and lots of emails and I synced with MS Office I would go back to the BB.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not narcissism to receive worship, when one is worthy thereof.

When Christ said He was meek and lowly, it was not incongruent with his lowliness to receive worship, which He did while here on earth. It was congruent with truth.

For a parent to say, "Because I said so," is enough.

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

That Jesus accepted worship is not the issue. The question is whether God is completely self-centered as Luke asserts. I say he is not. If God was only concerned with self, he would not have lowered himself to become a servant to redeem man. He would not have humbled himself as scripture says he did.

And because your parents say so is ridiculous. Should you do something sinful like kill your brothers and sisters because your parent said so? Absurd.

The more I deal with Calvinists the more I am convinced this theology destroys the ability to critically think.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is the Father's will and the glory of the Father that is at the heart of all that God says and does. Though Luke is a bit rash with an unadvised choice of words in the expression of that concept, it is, nevertheless, true. From a noncalvinist point of view God is rightly judged as self-centered, because the noncalvinist cannot dethrone the will of man in God's plan of Redemption nor the idea that there must be some quality or merit in man that motivates God's love.

But the Calvinist cannot conceive of such a low and carnal view of the Creator.

For the Almighty to glorify Himself, or to do His own will is true and good and glorious and all things wise and wonderful. For man to seek his own will and his own glory is diabolical indeed.

:BangHead:

Look! Up in the sky! It's a hotdog-shaped alien spacecraft!

15. OldRegular

I believe the following Scripture confirms what you say:

Revelation 4:11. Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Is that the one that came looking for whales on earth? Therefore, Kirk and company of the Starship Enterprise came back through time to pick up a couple and save the earth!

16. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The "that" you highlighted does no such thing. It is kind of a weird thing for you to claim that it does.

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

What in the world are you talking about?

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

"Self-centered" is the perfect choice of words.

God is centered on himself as he should be. The universe is thankful that he is centered on the highest and greatest good in all that he does within the universe.

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

Everybody knows being self-centered is the opposite of love, and God is love.

No, they conceive of a god who burns people forever to glorify himself when he could have regenerated them. Nice.

Yes, God deserves all glory, that is not the point. The point is whether God is absolutely self-centered. I do not believe God is self-centered at all.
    Well, if there were aliens, they would be looking for intelligent life, so you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

What is weird is that you cannot understand what "that" means in this verse. I understood this verse as a child.