1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

People Who Dress Down for Church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by FR7 Baptist, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

What we wear to church doesn't make us any more spiritual than the other it is always what is in our heart. As say I have a strong conviction that one should wear their best for God, but I will not impose that cnviction on others because it is my conviction.
    I would however override that conviction to keep peace in the church and not split it over something like what I wear to church.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Im sorry....are you saying you would split over a dress code?

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

That's just concern. Everyone knows black absorbs more heat and casual clothes are generally less flame retardant than dressier clothes.

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think, (and I have not read any of this thread except for the last page), that the disagreement lies in what constitutes our "best". At least that's the source of the arugment that I've seen over the years.

Is our "best" our:
    • most expensive clothes?
    • most appropriate/modest clothes?
    • least attention-drawing clothes?
    • most formal attire?
    • cleanest outfit?
    • best matching outfit?
    • newest clothes?
    • or most in-style clothing?
    Some say that a tie is "best". Some say that a tie has nothing to do with "best".

Who's right?

Who gets to define "best"? Is it relative? A personal decision? Cultural? Is there a biblical standard?

Lots of questions. All of us have our convictions.

5. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

No I am saying to keep from a split I would conform to whatever world keep peace. So if it meant wearing shorts and a muscle shirt that showed my gut I would wear it.

6. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

To me our best is what God blesses us to afford and still be able to give to support God's work. Giving back to God is more important than expensive clothes. Since God owns 100% of what we have then we wear and give the best we have in my opinion.

7. PeterM

PeterM Member

To the OP...

As a pastor, I would appreciate your stepping up your faithfulness in attendance and participation. What you wear when you are on the church campus is not the issue for me... your actually being on the campus faithfully is. The culture has shifted and with it some of what we do at church has as well... some good some not good. But in this discussion, modesty and practicality are the driving factors for me. Jesus is not impressed with your clothes or your pastors. He judges the heart...

Would John (the Baptizer) or Elijah be welcome at your church? According to the standards you put forth, no. That my brother, is sad.

#127 PeterM, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2011
  8. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

You mean the President is too good to meet me in my jeans?? Hmmm, good thing he's not coming here for supper then isn't it? :D (I didn't even bother to put jeans on today. ratty sweats and an old t-shirt is as good as today merits)

Thing is, God isn't not the president and He is always present. When I go to church, I'm not dressing up for God, cause He's always around even when I'm in my ratty sweats and holey t-shirt. Now if God sees me at home and doesn't disapprove of what I'm wearing, just why do you think He cares if I paint my face and put on a dress for church? Just which outfit do you think represents me best?

Get real people! We dress for other humans, not for God. If God had had His way we'd all be running around in our birthday suits. :)

9. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I never said God disapproves of what we wear. As I said, when I go to church I dress nicely, because for me it is a sign of respect. If your dress doesn't carry a similar connotation for you then that's OK, but please don't try and tell me why I do something I do.

10. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Point

....His manner of dress is a sign of respect for God. Kudos for your efforts! :wavey:

11. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Here is just something to ponder for the dress up crowd:

We can get them at the thrift store sometimes, yes, but even then that little expense for clothes you will wear only on Sunday might not be good stewardship.

It might also be just that.

But before you dress up to give God your respect and your best, please make sure there are no "least of these" going without a warm coat, or adequate food and medical.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I thought about this today and I decided just what is appropriate to clothe myself with on Sunday:

* a listening ear
    * a heart open to hear the Spirit
    * a genuine love of my brothers and sisters in Christ
    * a mind focused on my King

Anything else is just dress-up. :)

13. matt wade

Make sure you also clothe and feed the needy before you let yourself have anything but the bare essentials. Until that time you are simply a hypocrite making this statement.

14. matt wade

Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord. Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher's coat unto him, (for he was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea. (John 21:7)

So, according to you, Peter should have just remained naked. Obviously being naked didn't bother him around other people, it was only when his Lord came that he decided he needed to get dressed. Peter was showing respect...imagine that!

15. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

To the original post:
    God knew you before you were in the womb. God sees you every minute of your life, nothing is hidden from him, inside and out. He is the potter. These are the questions I asked myself:
    Do you think that God is only at a building for a few hours once or twice a week?
    Do you dress up for God every day?
    Are you dressing up for God or are you trying to impress men?
    Do you think you are more apt to become like Him if you dress up?
    Is your witness better if you are dressed up?
    Is the question of dressing up or not dressing up spirit or flesh?

16. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wow, Matt, I give something out as something to think about, and from that you decide I am a hypocrite?

That's ok. God says you are not to judge me. I did not judge you, just suggested something to think about.

But scripture says I will stand or fall before my Master, and that you are not my Master.

Maybe I stepped on a sore toe.

Know this, though: we choose to live in a poverty area and are actively practicing simple living and helping as many as we can. I was blessed today to be able to offer free daycare to two different single parent families, which meant kiddoes getting to go to church that wouldn't otherwise.

And try as I might, I cannot find anything in the Bible that says pantyhose are more honoring to God than my cotton socks were.

Maybe we need more hypocrites.

17. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

To swim to shore!! You can try to claim it just because Christ was there, but the context proves no such thing. It's just as easy to claim that Peter always put on clothes when he left the fishing boat.

Nice try though. :D

18. matt wade

I think it would be easier to swim to shore naked then in a fisher's coat! :smilewinkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.