1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Performance Guidelines for "Lordship" Salvation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Lou Martuneac, Jun 30, 2008.

1. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

What did Jesus mean by this statement?

Luk 14:26 If any [man] come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
    Luk 14:27 And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.
    Luk 14:28 For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have [sufficient] to finish [it]?
    Luk 14:29 Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish [it], all that behold [it] begin to mock him,
    Luk 14:30 Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish.
    Luk 14:31 Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand?
    Luk 14:32 Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace.
    Luk 14:33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.
    Luk 14:34 Salt [is] good: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be seasoned?
    Luk 14:35 It is neither fit for the land, nor yet for the dunghill; [but] men cast it out. He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Disciple means follower or in the modern context, one who is saved.

2. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Yes and one who has been saved becomes a disciple, but LS teaches the lost must commit to following in "exchange" for salvation.
    The lost must come to Christ for salvation; the Christian comes after Christ in discipleship.

LM

#42 Lou Martuneac, Jul 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2008
  3. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

God-Given Faith

Brethren:

Can God-Given Faith Be Defective? The advocates of Lordship Salvation say it cannot.

Pastor George Zeller answers this penetrating question and reviews Lordship's position. See-

Can God-Given Faith be Defective?

LM

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all:

I have recently purchased “The Gospel According to Jesus: 20th Anniversary Edition” by John MacArthur. I have gone through the first 150 pages or so (about ½ of the book) and have made the following observations.

MacArthur specifically states or refers to salvation as a complete work of God that cannot be earned by human effort at least 23 times in the first 150 pages. I point you to the preface of the first edition, p. 15. There are many examples like this one(pp.46,47,48,56,58,70,86,88,99,102,103,104,105,107,116,117,119,120,121,122,148.150 and so on)

“I expect, for example, that someone will accuse me of teaching a salvation by works. Let me say as clearly as possible right now that salvation is by God’s sovereign grace and grace alone. Nothing a lost, degenerate, spiritually dead sinner can do will in any way contribute to salvation. Saving faith, repentance, commitment, and obedience are all divine works, wrought by the Holy Spirit in the heart of everyone who is saved. I have never taught that some pre-salvation works or righteousness are necessary to or part of salvation.” (p.15, TGAJ)

Please note that MacArthur’s statements are completely consistent with, and echoed by, what he has stated he believes and teaches on his website.

Also notice that Lou Martuneac makes no reference to MacArthur’s clear statements concerning his belief that salvation is completely a work of God. Either Lou Martuneac is ignorant of the contents of MacArthur’s book, or Lou Martuneac is being intellectually dishonest (at best) in his evaluation of what MacArthur believes and teaches in his book.

What should be clear to everyone is that Lou Martuneac cannot be trusted to give an honest and truthful evaluation of what John MacArthur believes and teaches.

peace to you:praying:

5. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all:

Lou Martuneac had often quoted the following paragraph from MacArthur’s book.

“That is the kind of response the Lord Jesus called for: wholehearted commitment. A desire for Him at any cost. Unconditional surrender. A full exchange of self for the Savior. It is the only response that will open the gates of the kingdom.”

I asked Lou to give me the context of the quote, from MacArthur’s book. What, exactly, was the person responding to?

Lou lectured me for commenting on issues that I knew nothing about, and then told me the person was “responding to the gospel”, which is found in the title of the book. The full context of the quote comes from pp. 143-150 of the anniversary edition, not from the title.

MacArthur is focused on Matt. 13:44-46, the parables of the hidden treasure and costly pearl. In both cases, those that found the treasures (comparable to the Kingdom of God) sold everything they had to get possession of the treasures.

Concerning these verses, MacArthur makes this observation as to how people come to understand the priceless nature of the Kingdom of God. (p. 148)

“…how can anyone perceived the realities of the kingdom? ‘For to us God revealed them through the Spirit’ (I Cor. 2:10)’ God opens hearts to understand the inconceivable wealth of riches and blessing of His Kingdom.”

MacArthur is clearly teaching that the people are responding to the work of the Holy Spirit in revealing the value of the Kingdom of God to their hearts and their minds.

He then gives the example of Moses as one who has responded in a way consistent with this teaching.

“Moses counted the cost. Scripture tells us that he ‘consider(ed) the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures of Egypt; for he was looking to the reward’ (Heb. 11:26). He gave up spectacular worldly wealth in order to suffer for Christ’s sake……because he understood the priceless value of the Kingdom of heaven.

That is the kind of response the Lord Jesus called for: wholehearted commitment. A desire for Him at any cost. Unconditional surrender. A full exchange of self for the Savior. It is the only response that will open the gates of the kingdom.”

Lou Martuneac has demonstrated by his comments that he is either ignorant of the contents of MacArthur’s book, or he is intellectually dishonest (at best) in the way he is presenting his opposition to MacArthur’s teachings on Lordship Salvation.

Whichever is the reason, it is clear that Lou Martuneac cannot be considered a serious scholar, writer, blogger, or even worthy of attention as a poster on the BB.

Lou Martuneac cannot be trusted to give an honest and truthful evaluation of what John MacArthur believes and teaches.

Peace to you:praying:

#45 canadyjd, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2008
  6. nunatak

nunatak New Member

Bonhoeffer would call the idea that Christ can be Savior and not Lord "cheap grace." Cheap grace is what he called the deadly enemy of the church, the justification of sin without the justification of the sinner. Cheap grace is a salvation by faith that requires no faithfulness, or the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance. Here is what he said about Costly Grace:

7. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

I have been away, and will be away for a number of days beginning today. I read the emotion packed comments (in mantra like fashion) from an apologist for John MacArthur. It is quite apparent that he simply comes to the book with preconceived notions and tries to support what he wanted to believe apart from and prior to having read the book(s).

Whether he either neglected to disclose or is unaware of is that Lordship Salvation is rooted in Calvinistic presuppositions. He assumes that this fact is lost on those who reject the works-based Lordship gospel. If he acknowledged and/or knew that Lordship Salvation depends on the extra-biblical belief that regeneration (i.e., salvation) precedes faith, he would understand that LS advocates view regeneration/salvation occurs prior to personal faith in Christ. That in and of itself is a serious doctrinal misstep. For additional study, see George Zeller’s- The Danger of Teaching that Regeneration Precedes Faith?

Nevertheless, LS calls on the lost man to make decisions for “obedience” and “full surrender” to “cease from sinning” in “exchange” for the reception of eternal life. Lordship Salvation is a message that conditions salvation on promises of certain expected behavior. LS is a message that conditions salvation on upfront promises to perform.

Even with book in hand this presumably well-meaning individual does not discern between discipleship and salvation, which MacArthur uses not just inner changeably, but also often as though they are one-and-the-same.

To understand LS one must read with discernment and note when MacArthur transitions to and/or blurs the distinction between what is expected of a born again disciple of Christ and what he claims is required of a lost man to become a born again disciple of Christ.

Next week I’ll open a new article for discussion of a specific theme found in all three editions of The Gospel According to Jesus. The article is titled, Is Lordship Salvation a “Barter” System?

LM

#47 Lou Martuneac, Jul 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2008
  8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all:

I want to be clear about something. I am not advocating for or against any position. I am demonstrating that what Lou Martuneac claims John MacArthur believes and teaches is not what John MacArthur actually believes and teaches.

To be a serious scholar, you must be able to accurately state your opponent's position. Clearly, Lou Martuneac has not be able to do that.
    I demonstrated from MacArthur's book, in context, that Lou Martuneac is ignorant of its contents or is being intellectually dishonest when evaluating it.
    Not only is Lou Martuneac ignorant of the contents of MacArthur's book, he is ignorant of the comments on his own thread. The following was included in my first comment on this thread:
    And so, being shown to be ignorant of the content of MacArthur's book, Lou Martuneac returns to the same old, proven to be wrong, arguments against Lordship Salvation.

MacArthur "conditions" salvation upon the upfront work of Holy Spirit in regeneration and drawing of the lost sinner to faith. Since faith is also a gift from God, that faith will not lack the element of Lordship to Christ.

Now, no one is obligated to believe MacArthur is right in what he believes. But what is absolutely clear is that Lou Martuneac cannot accurately state what MacArthur believes and teaches.

There can only be a couple of reasons for Lou Martuneac's inability to accurately state what MacArthur believes and teaches. Lou Martuneac is either ignorant of the content of MacArthur's teaching, or Lou Martuneac is be intellectually dishonest (at best) in the way he evaluates and explains what MacArthur believes and teaches.

Whichever the case, Lou Martuneac cannot be considered a serious scholar, writer, blogger, or contributor to the BB.
    So, you see, MacArthur uses a super secret code language that only Lou Martuneac and his ilk can decipher and understand.

When MacArthur says "Salvation is completely a work of the grace of God" and "there is no work a man can do to earn salvation", what he really means in his super secret code language is that "salvation is by works of men". Do you see how that works?

When MacArthur says, "there is no presalvation works that a man must do to be saved" what he really means in the super secret code language is that "men must make a commitment to Lordship prior to salvation".

Lou Martuneac has been exposed as being intellectually dishonest (at best) and ignorant of the contents of MacArthur's teachings.

#48 canadyjd, Jul 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2008
  9. readmore

readmore New Member

Lou, you've brought up this quote from MacArthur a couple of times:

But I don't think it's as unorthodox as you claim. To see what I mean, let's look at an extreme example: A man is planning on killing his brother, but on the way to commit the crime, he is stopped and witnessed to. He prays "the sinner's prayer" but continues to anxiously glance at his watch because he knows his brother will be leaving the house soon and his window of opportunity will be gone. Satisfied that he has his position in heaven secured, he proceeds to commit the crime. Is he saved?

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is not a salvation experience, and the analogy is flawed.

11. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

ReadMore:

I appreciate your input and concern. Frankly, I never care much for the extreme examples and I don’t use them myself. That is because one can make a case for anything with an extreme example. Some folks like to use hypotheticals, and there is nothing inherently wrong with that, but I prefer to stick with the Scriptures and make a fair application of a Scriptural truth.

In any event: Salvation is never received through commitment to or the performance of behavior in the first place. Would you agree with that?

LS conditions salvation on the lost man’s promise to perform the “good works” (Eph. 2:10) expected of a born again Christian. LS advocates demand a commitment to “leave (ceasing from) sin” and “start obeying” for the reception of eternal life.

As for MacArthur’s quote,
    It is important to know and understand he is speaking of “salvation” in the sense of how a lost man becomes a Christian and then should continue as a Christian. This theme runs through all of his LS books and sermons.

Lordship Salvation’s condition to become a Christian includes the lost man’s, “willful obedience in turning from sin.” That is to say, the lost man must make a commitment to stop sinning and start obeying to be born again. Without that upfront commitment he cannot be born again. That is frontlaoding faith and conditioning salvation on the promise to perform works!

Thanks again for your question. Have to scoot, I’ll look in next week.

LM

His view is of course rooted in Calvinism, especially the extra-biblical view hat a lost man is regenerated, i.e. born again, apart from and prior to personal faith in Jesus Christ.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Macarthur begins with a false premise, therefore his explanation of LS is flawed. It only takes one drop of poison to contaminate a gallon or pure water.

Since the biblical truth is regeneration happening at the moment of faith in Christ, what Macarthur describes as the full commitment to Christ prior to salvation is an impossibility. If regeneration is passing from spiritual death to life...one has done this according to you and Macarthur BEFORE they have faith in Christ. Faith is unnecessary, as if that person dies prior to faith in Christ, they have spiritual life.

Lou Martuneac has done a good job or explaining LS in a simple, easy to understand way...unlike Macarthur. I'm amazed there are those who still hold to pre-faith regenerataion in spite of the clear Scriptures refuting this.

13. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Confusing & Blending

WebDog:

Thanks for the helpful input. I also want to stress the importance of understanding MacArthur/LS blends and confuses the separate and distinct doctrines of salvation and discipleship. It is key to understand that MacArthur conditions salvation on a commitment to perform the things that belong to the disciple of Christ.

For those who want an objective look at Lordship Salvation’s reliance on regeneration, i.e. salvation occurring prior to and apart from personal faith in Christ, I have two articles that address this. They are:

Impossible Decision

Lordship’s (Out-of-Order) Salvation

Pastor George Zeller wrote a number of articles on this subject. At the Middletown Bible Church website you may read his article, Does Regeneration Precede Faith?

Kind regards,

LM

14. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are missing the point entirely, and are proving my point while you do it. You don't have to agree with MacArthur. I am not advocating for Lordship Salvation.

As I stated earlier, you (and Lou) are applying YOUR understanding of regeneration to MacArthur's understanding of commitment to Christ that is a God-given part of the God-given faith that every believer has.

Disagree all you want. Show scripture to support your position (as MacArthur does). Show scripture that discredits MacArthur's position.

Just be willing to accurately and truthfully state what the other person's position is.

Failure to do so is intellectually dishonest (at best).

To accuse John MacArthur of believing and teaching a works-based salvation is nonsense on its face.

Lou Martuneac has not accurately, nor truthfully, stated John MacArthur's position.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did you forget what you said? Here it is...
    MacArthur "conditions" salvation upon the upfront work of Holy Spirit in regeneration and drawing of the lost sinner to faith. Since faith is also a gift from God, that faith will not lack the element of Lordship to Christ.

Regeneration preceding faith is not found in Scripture, hence Macarthur does not support his position from Scripture. Is he being "intellectually dishonest"? It is an IMPOSSIBILITY for a lost person NOT regenerated to make any up front commitment to Christ other than putting THEIR faith in who He is.

16. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    My apology to you. I see you have not accused MacArthur of believing or teaching a works based salvation. You simply disagree with his belief that regeneration precedes faith.

My only comment then is that MacArthur cites many passages of scripture to support his position. You have cited none to support yours.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is no Scripture supporting pre faith regeneration...so I don't know how Macarthur could cite "many passages". It's apparent these passages are eisegeted, or approached with a built in presupposition regeneration precedes faith. I've provided more than enough Scripture in the years I've been here showing that "beleive...and be saved", not "be saved...then believe".

18. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

WebDog:

You are correct in that there is NO Scriptural support or justification for Calvinism's extra-biblical view that regeneration, i.e., salvation precedes and is gained apart from personal faith in Christ.

They arrive at regeneration before faith because of their allegiance to the circle-logic of 5-point Calvinism. That necessitates their coming to the rational conclusion that the lost cannot respond to the Gospel until he has been regenerated, born again prior to faith in Christ.

In the article I linked to above by George Zeller, he painstakingly and in detail shows how regeneration before faith is wholly inconsistent with the clear teaching of many Scriptures. See- Does Regeneration Precede Faith?
    http://www.middletownbiblechurch.org/reformed/regenera.htm

One proof that Lordship Salvation as defined by John MacArthur is a works based message is found in his view that James 4:7-10 is, in his words, "an invitation to salvation." That is why I was able to post an article from the single page in all three editions of TGATJ that he conditions eternal salvation on a lost man's commitment to the good works expected of a born again Christian.
    http://indefenseofthegospel.blogspot.com/2008/07/summary-of-lordship-salvation-on-single.html

LM

#58 Lou Martuneac, Jul 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2008
  19. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

You claim that the book of James doesn't apply to us. What other books of the Bible do you reject?

20. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

Let's let Dr. M speak for himself: