1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Permission to use a Bible?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by av1611jim, Mar 26, 2005.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

You don't know any such thing Ransom. I do wish you would quit insinuating that I am lying. What is YOUR motivation?

Are you enjoying your meadow pie?

In HIS service;
    Jim

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All the hand ringing about someone makeing a profit off the publishing of a bible is pointless and silly! If you don't want them to make money, don't buy it! It is ethical to protect your own work, whatever it is and ethical to allow others to do the same of their work. It would be unethical to force someone to publish their work without being allowed to recover the costs involved in producing the work and make a profit from said work.

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jim, far as I know, the AV was the 2nd English Bible authorized by a king, and it was used to make a profit for both the printer, Robt. Barker, and the Crown, with the TAX STAMP. I believe that almost every earlier English BV was sold for profit, and in germany, the Luther Bible was certainly sold for profit.

Most of those who print Bibles are not Christians, and are simply NOT in the business of printing Bibles gratis, nor allowing copyrighted versions to be freely reproduced. No one gives away copies of older Bibles that have value to collectors. Like it or not, Jim, that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I have a KJV, from World Books Co. that was printed in CHINA. Someone somewhere made a handsome profit from it, and its fellow copies. And, yes, it's COPYRIGHTED. It has a unique concordance & set of maps. We must face it, most Bibles are copyrighted and may not be freely reproduced outside of its intended fair use.

4. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

You don't know any such thing Ransom.

Someone with "1611" in his screen name, grousing about copyright in any Bible but the KJV, has only one intention.

5. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Ok. I can't resist. Mr. Ransom seems intent on being an *****.
    I suppose "Ransom" in YOUR screen name means you are a kidnapper? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    In HIS service;
    Jim

6. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

7. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

Excellent conclusion in your last post Jim!

Your friend,
    Max

8. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

OK, back to first principles. av1611jim asked:

What bothers me is the fact that, evidently, one must get permission to use a Bible?

Since it isn't a fact, your fears and/or objections and/or criticism are built on a false premise. Therefore, what according to you is "evident," in fact assumes facts not in evidence, and hence your "bother" is completely without merit.

There, are you happy now? Am I being "honest" enough for you? Sheesh.

:rolleyes:

9. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Well, it appears that av1611jim has PM'd me demanding that I stop calling him a liar (which by his own standards I never did), demanded that I cough up evidence for things I never asserted, and then put me on his ignore list so that he couldn't read the evidence even if I felt like sending it to him.

Consider my point made, Jim. :rolleyes:

10. Gottit

Gottit Guest

You left out the most important permission, that of Almighty God for use of the King James Bible! :D

11. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gottit, I believe GOD included a "permission slip" with every BV He allowed to be made in ANY language.

What sayest thou?

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

My Oxford KJV Wide Margin -printed 1993 in England has this.

"All rights in respect of the Authorised King James Version of the Holy Bible are vested in the Crown in the United Kingdom and controlled by the Royal Letters Patent. No part of this publication may be reproduced or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording and otherwise, or stored in any retrieval system of any nature, without without written permission. "

It has not study helps, only centre notes.

Is that a copyright?

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes it is C4K, I've posted the Crown laws several times myself but to no avail, so why bother.

It's a dead horse that folks just won't leave alone, resurrecting it every 2-3 months.

HankD

14. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Roby has said succintly what I have been trying to point out. Regardless of your BV of choice, "permission" ought not be controlled by any man.

Copyright your OWN book, that is good and proper. But leave God's Book alone.

In anticipation of the question that is sure to be repeated; What about "false" translations like the NWT? I think that discernment is up to the guidance of the Holy Spirit of God.
    And; "What about the people who will be fooled into thinking they are legitimate translations?" I reply; What is the difference between them and say, for example the Living Bible? Certainly nobody here will say that the Living Bible is a reliable translation/paraphrase. So what is the difference?

No Hank. This is not just a revival of a dead horse. I am not trying to compare the KJV and other BV's. As has been pointed out, the KJV does have a copyright. This is also wrong, in my view. Only God has the "right" to give or withhold permission to use His Book in any form. And since it is evident that He has allowed many men to mess it up,(i.e. NWT, Inspired Version for two examples) who are we to step in and make demands where He has not?

In HIS service;
    Jim

15. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Perhaps I should clarify a bit further.

Copyright of one's notes study helps etc. perhaps should be coyrighted. But the Text should not.

So, in my view a Bible's copyright should read something like this.

No part of the notes, study helps, maps, etc can be reproduced... blah blah blah.
    The TEXT of Scripture may be FREELY used in whatever form a person so desires up to and including re-publication but NOT for profit.

Maybe that is "pie in the sky" but I don't think so.

In HIS service;
    Jim

16. natters

natters New Member

What then would happen if someone took the text of some popular version (say the NIV), changed some things in the text, then tried to pass it off as the original NIV? Does not a copyright also protect the text itself from being changed in this manner?

17. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

You mean like the LDS have done with the KJV? :D
    I suppose the diligent amongst us would catch on fairly quick. :D

In HIS service;
    Jim

18. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thing is, Jim, in a perfect world, there'd be just one universal BV, easily read & understood by all, freely reproduced by whoever. However, in the real world, there are many imperfections, and while copyrighting the text of a BV may not seem kosher, that's the way things are, and I reckon we'll just hafta live with it for now.

19. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it a danger for Bible translations not to have a copyright since an unscrupulous printer could publish the text with his own corruptions or corrections of that text?

William Tyndale encountered this problem when his text was printed as though it was still Tyndale's when it actually had many changes introduced by George Joyce.