1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Personal responsibility and mental illness

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by seekingthetruth, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I trust Christ for everything, and that includes the doctor He provided a six way heart bypass on me that extended my life by at least twenty years. He also provided the help for the depresssion that naturally follows such an operation.

Your and your buddy's mindset of trusting in the Lord is warped beyond comprehension. If that is the way you feel, then maybe you should leave the Baptist denomination and join the Christian Scientists. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, wrong with using every gift the Lord has given us to mainatin good health.

Like I said, you two will never goad me into another name calling contest, but that does not stop me from painting a picture of your theology in the light of Scripture. As I said in an above post, the Good Samaratan parable is all that is needed to put your ideas and FAL's ideas where they belong, in the trash dump outside the city gates of Jerusalem.

2. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Whose soul?

I am a born again Christian. Do you think God will go back on His Word, and send me to hell because I accept medical treatment for my mental disorder?

Accepting medical treatment does not mean I am rejecting the gospel.

Have you lost your mind? That thought is just ridiculous.

Are you so evil, that you want people to reject the healing God is providing and just die?

Let's use you own logic for a second. If a lost person is suffering from mental illness, and they are at the point of dieing. Would you rather them to just die lost, or live longer with proper treatment, and maybe hear the gospel and get saved?

Dude, DHK can ban me, I dont care at this point, your theology, your advise, and your demeanor are just pure plain evil.

John

3. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

God didn't say He would heal in every case. He told Paul His grace was sufficient.

But He also tells us in James that we have not because we ask not, or we have not because we ask amiss.

I don't fear getting a lawsuit for telling people to trust God for healing. And if He doesn't heal... His grace is sufficient.

By the way, I don't see anywhere in Scripture where Paul ran down to the local psychiatrist to get a prescription for Paroxetine for his depression. Maybe I overlooked it?

4. Steadfast Fred

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

He used wine instead. He told Timothy to take it for the problems in his stomach. You probably have no idea what those problems were do you?

6. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

They prayed. She wasn't healed. They didn't believe in going to doctors for depression, a cold (which is what it was originally), or anything else--apparently your belief. Trust God instead. Isn't that what you said.

8. Steadfast Fred

Since some of the psychiatrists that put the DSM-IV together admit that there is no such thing as "mental illness", that which causes depression and many other disorders mentioned in the DSM-IV stems from another root.

9. Steadfast Fred

So tell me, how does the Good Samaritan parable put our belief in the trash dump?

The man the Samaritan cared for was suffering from physical wounds. The Samaritan dressed and bandaged the physical wounds.

You are comparing apples and oranges.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

John,
    Over the last few weeks, you have become a really close friend of mine. I do not claim to understand what you are going through, but, since my six way bypass heart operation, I have had a problem with depression, which I never did before. There is no difference in the way I live my life morally before or after the operation, so there is no way the depression is me hiding behind sin. If I was sinning before the operation, it was not making me depressed. My shortcoming as a Christian now, at this point in time, is the "seeing red" these kind of posts create within me. I have prayed about it, and the Lord has helped me, as I am now posting without the name calling.

I appreciate your posts, and the way you conduct yourself. It sort of reminds me of reading about Paul, and the affliction he suffered. Despite that, he spread the Gospel under extremely adverse conditions. Only the Lord being with him sustained him.

You keep standing up for what you believe in. God bless you and your family.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

But there are, and even when pointed out you will just deny it; deny it out of ignorance. I proved that once before.

12. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Whose soul?

I am a born again Christian. Do you think God will go back on His Word, and send me to hell because I accept medical treatment for my mental disorder?

Accepting medical treatment does not mean I am rejecting the gospel.

Have you lost your mind? That thought is just ridiculous.

Are you so evil, that you want people to reject the healing God is providing and just die?

Let's use you own logic for a second. If a lost person is suffering from mental illness, and they are at the point of dieing. Would you rather them to just die lost, or live longer with proper treatment, and maybe hear the gospel and get saved?
    Dude, DHK can ban me, I dont care at this point, your theology, your advise, and your demeanor are just pure plain evil.

John

13. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

How would he get a prescription for something not in existence?

Stupid argumet.

14. Steadfast Fred

I would preach to that lost dying man. His soul is more important than his life.

Matthew 16:26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

How???? Are you serious??? The whole idea is who is our neighbor. What is the second great commandment?? Does it say "love your neighbor as yourself except in cases of depression or where one determines it is due to sin?" Have you ever read the parables of the good seed and the rich man and Lazarus?

By the way, do you wear glasses, go to the doctor, use aspirin? For all the common sense you are using, one could just as easily say that physical afflictions are caused by hiding behind a sin.

#55 saturneptune, May 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2012
  16. Steadfast Fred

Let me guess....

mental illness?

17. Steadfast Fred

In that case it was complications from diabetes... not a mental illness.

18. Steadfast Fred

Yes, trust God. And if the person died, God gave her the ultimate healing. No more pain.

19. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Let's put in a word in here, OK? SOME - or even VERY FEW would work. Put that word in front of psychiatrists and we'll be set.

Some doctors also believe that we can heal cancer by holding hands above the body and allow our energy to flow to the person. Doesn't mean they are right.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The fact remains medicine was used in the Bible. There are a number of places where the Lord directs individuals to use medicine in the Bible. But apparently you are like FAL, and in your naivety, as he said, "I will stick to the Scripture," attitude do not recognize its value. So using the Scripture as our guide I will ask you the same question I asked him on this thread:

Since all epileptics in the Bible were diagnosed as demon-possessed do you believe that all epileptics today are demon-possessed? Is that your "scriptural stand"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.