1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Personal responsibility and mental illness

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by seekingthetruth, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Using your logic, you, saturnneptune, seekingthetruth, annsni, and DHK must be one person since you all use the same arguments.

No, I do not know freeatlast. Never met him.

As to Fred's wife, she is my wife. Biblically speaking, we are one. (Genesis 2:24) but physically, we are separate beings. She has her side of the bed, I have mine. She has her PC, I have mine.

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Using your own posts (as well as FAL and mother Fred's supporting posts) as a basis and extrapolating the outcome of the view you present is problematic. In your view, because there is no basis for the mind, no picture, no diagnostic tests, no tangible evidence,... then it not only doesn't get ill; it doesn't exist.

However, if you admit the existence and essence of the mind, then you would have to come to terms about the fallen nature, the disease, the oppression, and perhaps even the possession of the mind; and at that point, you would have to admit the mind does exist, can get sick, can become diseased, can be oppressed, and even possessed.

Your argument then fails to meet even the simplest of analytic tests much less basic Scriptural support.

3. Steadfast Fred

The mind does exist. No doubt about it.

But it does not get diseased, contrary to your claim that it does.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Drugs cover and confession and forsaking heals.

6. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

Since you cannot back up your "claim" that the non-physical "mind" can contract/catch a "physical" disease, you resort to name calling. Nobody has yet shown any tangible proof of mental illness.

I am a "mother", but I am NOT Fred's "mother". So your "name calling" game will do nothing to prove your point.

7. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

I would never insult Annsi, Saturn and DHK by even suggesting they are me:thumbsup:

John

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No, there is another reason. We believe the bible. :thumbsup: All sin comes from the heart, not some physical or mental illness.

9. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Amy.G

I told you that you were good. All sickness, either mental or physical, is as you say: "the result of being born into a fallen world"!

Then there was EVE!:applause::laugh::love2:

10. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For Fred, FAL and Fred's wife

I repeat.

In YOUR posts (those of Fred, FAL and Fred's wife) YOU state the mind is not in existence because it is not tangible, cannot be seen, cannot be an observed substance such as the eye, tongue....

Therefore, YOU claim that mental illness is false and base all support of medical assistance as worthless.

If therefore the mind does not exist; then, by using YOUR OWN LOGIC, taking medications should not impact any aspect of the mental state for the mental state does not exist.

Using YOUR LOGIC because the mind does not exist, it cannot be diseased, cannot be oppressed, cannot be possessed.

Using YOUR LOGIC because the mind does not exist, then it should not matter to you at all that some disagree and take medications in which they consider helpful for something YOU claim has no existence.

So why are you even posting?

Perhaps, just to dispute what you don't even believe exits?

Isn't that called shadow boxing? Good to build skill and for the exercise, but ultimately results in no winner being proclaimed.

Now if you admit the mind does exist, then you will also have to admit to the impact of illness, disease, oppression and even possession of said mind. To that end, you would also be obliged to admit that medical helps (as been shown by posts as being Scriptural) be available to help the diseased and ill; just as demonic war, using the Scriptures applied to the believer in that "heavenly places" battle, also is appropriate.

You cannot argue on one point and neglect the extrapolation.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I repeat.
    I have said before if anyone can show me scripture where it even suggests that some mental illness causes a person to do things contrary to God (sin) and those things are to be overcome through chemical means I will change my view, but to date no one has done so. Every account in the bible where anyone could be diagnosed by the mental health standards of today as having a mental illness the sin comes first, not the other way around. If there is mental illness which shows itself by wrong behavior then it is because of indwelling and un-confessed sin. I do think that what it means to confess is greatly misunderstood and adds to the problem. It is not enough to admit or even battle we have a problem in a certain area. Unless we are willing to take full responsibility that the sin we are confessing and battling is really us and not because of some outside source, pressure or anything else including so called sin nature we will never overcome. The person can take one of three routes. Continue to act out those sins, control them with drugs and mask the real problem or confess and forsake the sin and that is a theological issue.
    Our hearts are evil to the core and until we are willing to admit that the things we do are the real us there is no hope of healing. How many of us have done something and then set back and are shocked at what we did saying to others and ourselves "I cannot believe I did that"? The reason we cannot believe it is because we hold ourselves higher then we ought. We deny the truth about ourselves and when we see what we are really like we are shocked and try to cover the truth up.
    Jer. 17:9
    The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?
    We have in fact adopted the way of the world to deal with sin instead of the way of God. We all battle sin and if drugs were the answer to slow or stop the sin we commit then we all need to be on drugs. However the bible calls for confession and forsaking and offers no other venue. It is about faith and believing what we are told by God’s word or believing what the world tells us.

12. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Luke 18: 11,12 KJV
    11. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
    12. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

14. Steadfast Fred

Irrelevant to the conversation, OldRegular.

Neither freeatlast, nor my wife, nor myself has made any claims that we are better than anyone else.

All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What is interesting is that when there are changes in the brain, it affects the mind. Think of Alzheimers. Think of dementia. Think of brain tumors. If the mind could not be affected by the brain, then an Alzheimers patient would still be all there.

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    And I am chief at it.

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

None of those make the person sin. Sin comes from the heart/mind/spirit. Mat 15:18,19

18. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No one addressed the actual problem with your posts.

IN YOUR OWN POSTS YOU don't believe the mind exists for it cannot be seen, cannot be observed, no "scientific testing" proves it exists.

Therefore, YOUR OWN POSTS show the fallacy of your view.

Is there a mind? Yes or no?

Is the mind impacted by the natural forces? Yes or no?

Can the mind become ill, diseased, oppressed, possessed? Yes or no?

So far your posts would have every one of those questions responding in the negative.

You argue over what you have no mind to argue over for according to YOUR Posts the extrapolation is the mind doesn't exist.

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Please include a link and post number to what you have said I have said so I know what you are talking about.

20. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where do you feel?

Where do you sense danger, excitement, exhilaration...?

If a male gets a heart transplant from a female donor, do they wake up desiring to put on makeup and look presentable?

Your use of the word "heart" as if it were some other "organ" than the brain making sense of the world and all the senses is out of focus with what really is going on in the brain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.