1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Personal responsibility and mental illness

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by seekingthetruth, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yet none of these affect the mind because it is a brain function. You have said so yourself.

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope, because you already know what you posted and that I extrapolated your view accurately.

If you think I am mistaken, then speak about what part of the "heart" and "mind" (though you would have to admit the mind does exist) is not inextricably connected to the health of the brain.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So the person with Alzheimer's who curses and spits on someone - is that sin?

4. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Who said the mind cannot be affected by the brain, annsni?

Certainly not me, nor my wife.

But just because the mind is affected by the brain does not mean the mind is diseased.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

This I know. All sin comes from the heart and no it is not the pump. Mat 15:18,19
    But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
    For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
    They are not caused by some brain injury or illness. Sin is resident in the person if not confessed and forsaken. Drugs can mask the sin but they cannot heal the sinner.

Where is that link?

6. Steadfast Fred

agedman, your constant bearing false witness does not help at all.

none of us has said the mind does not exist. You are basing your argument on something that was never said.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

What constitutes the mind/heart.spirit I have no idea. I just know that all sin comes from the heart, not some illness or injury. Again show me someone in scripture that was mentally ill and it caused them to sin and drugs were called for to fix the illness.
    ALL Sin is a spiritual issue not a medical one.

8. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

So would you dispute that, since the mind is affected by the brain, if there is an abnormality, injury, or illness in the brain that it is possible for the mind to be affected by that?

9. Steadfast Fred

There are no problems with our posts
    We have never said the mind does not exist... the claim that the mind does not exist was never made by me, nor by my wife, nor by freeatlast.

As a matter of fact, I have stated that the mind exists over and over. You keep overlooking that fact for some strange reason.

Actually, they don't.
    For the umpteenth time, there is a mind. Do I need to bold this so you can catch it?
    Yes, the mind is impacted by natural forces.

No, they would not.
    Your accusations are unfounded and uncalled for.

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Do you know why Jesus when hanging on the cross never spit on or cursed His accusers even though He was tortured and in great pain, abandoned by God, and suffering without just cause?
    Mat 15:18,19
    But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
    For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies

The church today is in denial of its sin. The sin is there and not being dealt with because of the many excuses and coverings, drugs being just one of them. An illness does not make someone spit on people or curse them. The sin is already there and has not been dealt with in years past. If Alzheimer's caused people to spit on and curse others then all Alzheimer's patients at some point would do that but they don't. Alzheimer's, suffering, the level of temptation nor any other thing does not cause the person to sin, but what is in the heart does. Those things mentioned simply allow us all to see what is in the heart. Confession and forsaking is the only thing that can heal the heart.

#110 freeatlast, May 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2012
  11. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

Nobody has said that the mind is "not in existence"...I said the "mind" is NON-PHYSICAL, there is a difference. The mind certainly DOES exist, but the mind is NOT the brain. YOU, OTOH, are claiming that the NON PHYSICAL mind gets a disease. Psychiatry has a "Bible" of those "so-called" illnesses. It is called the DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual) which lists over 300 different mental illnesses. Those "illnesses" are NOT discovered as are "physical" diseases, they are "invented" by a group of psychiatrists and voted into the manual.
    Not MY logic at all

The fact that mental illness is a myth is NOT "MY OWN LOGIC"...there are some secular psychiatrists who are saying the very same thing:

I am posting because this is a public forum....why are you posting?

I already answered your question....I never said the mind does not exist...I repeat, the mind is NON PHYSICAL, NOT NON EXISTENT. Get your facts straight before continuing with your ad hominem attacks.

12. 12strings

12strings Active Member

So would you say that an advance Alzheimer's patient who can't even communicate rationally anymore, but is spitting on people...would you say they are sinning? And if so, how can they repent and confess? Are you saying their mental condition is all a show to excuse their actions, or is their current state such that they can no longer resist the temptation to spit?

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I would ask you this. Do all Alzheimer's patients who can't even communicate rationally anymore spit on people?

For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

I don't know if they can confess and repent but it is a mute point since we are not saved by confessing sins. If they were saved earlier then they are still saved.

As to your last question I am not saying either. I know this;

1Cor 10:13
    There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].

If you have scripture that shows differently please post it.

#113 freeatlast, May 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2012
  14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Strawman:

Show in Scripture where drugs were used...

Someone who is mentally ill sins and it is written off....

Both inaccurate statements to the truth of mental illness.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's apparent you've never been around an Alzheimer's patient. One who would NEVER EVER do something like curse will do it in their altered mental state. It is not from a sinful heart - but from a brain that is malfunctioning.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So you accuse doctors of inventing illness instead of observing them? Nice. False witness at it's finest.

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes. You deny it?

18. Steadfast Fred

Cursing is a sin, annsni. Whether by a little child, a young teen, a young adult, an old person with Alzheimer's.

James 1:14-15 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

James said "every man", not some men.

If an Alzheimer's patient curses, he/she is sinning.

19. Steadfast Fred

Many of the psychiatrists behind the writing of the DSM-IV have admitted on hidden tape that they invent illnesses.

If there is any false witness, it is not by my wife.... nor by me.

20. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

My mother had (and died from) Alzheimer's disease. She never "spit" on anyone. It is a PHYSICAL disease...and it affects almost every organ in the body, not just the brain. It caused renal failure in my Mom. Once that occurred, it was downhill from there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.