1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Personalized Wedding Vows a Big No No Says Baptist Ethicist

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Russell Moore Is Big on Traditional Anglican Vows:

http://www.christianpost.com/news/r...tability-to-the-entire-body-of-christ-129606/

2. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My husband and I wrote are own vows, and I'm very happy with them. We basically paraphrased Eph 5, me doing the wives role and him doing all of the husband's role and then ended with more of the traditional vows, 'for better for worse, for richer for poorer...' and I was very happy with them. Now I can see why sometimes written vows can seem trite compared to the traditional ones but each couple should decide for themselves.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I appreciate Dr Moore, I entirely disagree with him here.

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a stinker, does this guy have to say something about everything?

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. Unless God prescribed what we are to say, I think it's up to the culture as to what one does for their marriage ceremony. We didn't write ours. I know many who have. No biggie.

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me that if couples 'write their own vows,' they may come up a lot of wacky stuff. Right now, I can only think of one wedding I've attended in which this was done, and that was my sister's and it was officiated by a judge, and it was windy and otherwise noisy there (outdoors), so I couldn't even hear them. So that's why I said "It seems to me..." because I haven't actually heard any wacky stuff like I mentioned first hand-- although knowing my sister and the guy she married.....

I went to a wedding last Saturday, and the 'vows' were the old customary ones... "I,___, take thee, ___, to be my wedded wife/husband; to have and to hold from this day forward; to love and to cherish for better or for worse, for richer-- for poorer, in sickness and in health, till death do us part." But the one who officiated is the one who got in his little items, such as saying, "Now, may the daily conflicts, like which position the toilet seat's left in, be overcome by....." He got few laughs there, and none from me. But if the one who 'does' the wedding gets his own junk in there, is there really any reason the bride and groom can't? I guess it wouldn't bother me if they finely adjusted some of those traditional words to themselves personally.

7. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personalized Wedding Vows a Big No No Says Baptist Ethicist

I did not know that there was a profession called "Baptist Ethicist". I thought that it was part of the job of pastoring.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are talking SBC here.:laugh:

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just as a note, any couple who writes their own vows must have said vows checked by me. I've edited, helpfully, several dozen to make sure they articulate, clearly things in line with what we're trying to accomplish. :)

10. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who's wedding is it anyway?

I guess folks are way more protective of ceremony then I am. Short of someone passing out, lighting themselves on fire or being called the wrong name, who remembers what's said at a wedding?

Are there things I don't want to here at a wedding? Sure, but if you don't tell what to say, I won't tell you what to say. You've come to a church, expect me to say church type things, part of the package.

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, it's a plum post in the denominational bureaucracy: the "President of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention".

More about Moore here:

http://www.worldviewweekend.com/new...nd-environmentalism-meet-erlc’s-russell-moore

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's what my husband has done - gone over the vows with the couple. It is part of the premarital counseling.

13. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I could not have said it better. As Go2Church asked, "Who's wedding is it anyway?"

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist