1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Perspectives II

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by SheepWhisperer, Feb 22, 2018.

1. SheepWhisperer

SheepWhisperer Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's your take on "Barak"? What kind of guy was he?

[​IMG] Jdg 4:4

And Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, she judged Israel at that time.
    Jdg 4:5

And she dwelt under the palm tree of Deborah between Ramah and Bethel in mount Ephraim: and the children of Israel came up to her for judgment.
    Jdg 4:6

And she sent and called Barak the son of Abinoam out of Kedeshnaphtali, and said unto him, Hath not the LORD God of Israel commanded, saying, Go and draw toward mount Tabor, and take with thee ten thousand men of the children of Naphtali and of the children of Zebulun?
    Jdg 4:7

And I will draw unto thee to the river Kishon Sisera, the captain of Jabin's army, with his chariots and his multitude; and I will deliver him into thine hand.
    Jdg 4:8

And Barak said unto her, If thou wilt go with me, then I will go: but if thou wilt not go with me, then I will not go.
    Jdg 4:9

And she said, I will surely go with thee: notwithstanding the journey that thou takest shall not be for thine honour; for the LORD shall sell Sisera into the hand of a woman. And Deborah arose, and went with Barak to Kedesh.

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My guess taken from the name is that he was athletically skillful, a pro linebacker build, with leadership ability.

I wouldn’t make much of him desiring Deborah accompany him, other than it was not an unreasonable request to have prophets accompany so that last minute instructions could be sought.

Often when believers travel, do we not take instructions (Scriptures) with us.

It was typical that certain honor was given to the leader of a conqueror, just as in the olympics one is given honor.

So, unlesss one runs lawfully the price of reward goes to another.

That should give something of insight as to the unexpected receiver is one who does not presume a reward yet is positioned by God to get the reward of both service and acknowledgement.

Sisera was appointed to die at the hands of one who was not involved in the conflict, but remained “by the stuff” (as David would say of a different group) and took advantage of the opportunity.

Believers, too, should be ready to take the advantage of the providence presented to them.

3. SheepWhisperer

SheepWhisperer Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All we know about Barak, is that he was a man of great faith: Barak trusted in God. Why?
    I have heard people try to use Deborah as part of their excuse for having women "leaders" or "Preachers". They also try to paint Barak as some coward, who wouldn't go into the battle unless Deborah went to "protect" him. But they miss the message entirely. How could a woman protect a man in hand to hand combat anyway?

The message is this: Barak knew that this woman, Deborah, was a "seer" and that she was in close communication with God. So, He knew that as long as the "seer" was there, God was too. Barak was depending on God instead of himself. Not only that,Barak humbled himself. When told that the "honor" would go to a woman", Barak didn't care WHO got the credit for the battle; He just went anyway because he was only interested in vanquishing the enemies of God's people. Did Barak get the "honor" for the battle? No, he got something better: Centuries later, Barak's name was honored for his faith in Hebrews chapter 11.