1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Peter and Malchus

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Gina B, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I was reading in the Code of Hammurabi just a minute ago and one of the rules is this:

"If a slave has said to his master, "You are not my master," he shall be brought to account as his slave, and his master shall cut off his ear. "

Just found that interesting. Wasn't Malchus the servant of the high priest?
    So for him to stand in front of Christ and deny that he was a servant of Christ, and get his ear cut off...

I've always thought it was just a quick, rash act on the part of Peter. Was there more meaning behind it than just a quick act of anger that just happened to land on the dude's ear?

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Gina

Those laws might not have applied to a Jew. Jesus told Peter that his act was not needed.

So . . . there are implications, but I do not know that I would build theology upon those implications.

I might illuminate the conversation with, "in a day and time when a slave lost his ear for denying his master, this servant lost his ear while denying the Christ."

Wayne

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never got the impression that he was denying Christ.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

They had been sent to arrest Jesus for heresy . . . because He claimed to be who He is (was). The implication was that this was denying one's True Master - the Creator of the Universe.

IMHO.

However, I would not build theology upon those implications.

I would build theology on the fact that Jesus is the True Master - the Creator of the Universe.

;)

5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I certainly may be wrong, I've always been under the impression that Malchus was the slave of the High Priest, therefore he had no say in what the High Priest wanted him to do.