1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PFBC?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by cdawg, Aug 26, 2002.

1. cdawg

cdawg New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I recently saw at least two churches that are PFBC (Pentecostal Free Will Baptist Church). This is new to me. Is anyone else familiar with this denomination, its doctrine, etc.?

CC

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Pentecostal Free Will Baptist Church is a split off of the Free Will Baptists. This split (as best I remember) was centered mainly in North Carolina. These churches accepted the "pentecostal experience" and this put them at variance with the "Baptist" doctrine of the Free Will Baptists. When I have a little more time, I will try to look up and post accurate historical data. These churches, though, are more "Pentecostal" than "Baptist," and are members of the Pentecostal Fellowship of North America. Keep an eye on THEIR WEB SITE. They are in the process of redoing it, and it should give both historical and doctrinal information.

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The pentecostal experience among the Free Will Baptists of North Carolina dates back to the early 1900's and especially the meetings of G. W. Cashwell starting in 1906. Cashwell had been a participant in the Azusa Street revival in Los Angeles. The actual church denomination known as the Pentecostal Free Will Baptist Church was organized in 1959 by four North Carolina (Pentecostal) Free Will Baptist Conferences. I have heard, but have no documentation, that they suffered a split and that there is another group called the "Free Will Baptist Church of the Pentecostal Faith." If this is correct, I guess that it just proves that even if you make Pentecostals out of Baptists, you can't take the Baptist out of the Pentecostals - they still have to have splits! :rolleyes:

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Some thing we Baptist do well!!!