1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pharaoh and the Egyptians

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Pastor Larry, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

First, where is this revelation of yours in Scripture? Second, since we live in time, what difference does it make? He still cannot change his mind and by your definition, that takes away his freedom.

As I have said however, I do believe that man is truly free and that God has divine foreknowledge. Those things do not conflict for me but I can't see how you reconcile them without becoming a open theist.

2. romanbear

romanbear New Member

Hi Npetreley; [​IMG]
    A few quotes from you;
    Actually God does choose to love us. God is God and is under no restrictions other than the ones He imposes on Him self.He is the highest authority. Who's going to discipline God?.God can do what ever He likes. Even though you are right ,"He is love", but He can also Hate.

[​IMG] If God wants to makes us do anything what can we say.I certainly wouldn't want to talk back to my Father.It's just that if it isn't in God's word concerning our relationship with God then it isn't so.I realize that some believe they can interpret scriptures for them selves and others like the priest in the Catholic Church but, I can read and understand scriptures for my self.Just like Martin Luther if it doesn't appear in scripture the way someone says that it is, then what they are saying is not so.
    Romanbear [​IMG]
    Peace

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

That's not strictly true. God cannot lie. It isn't that He chooses not to lie, but that it is impossible for God to lie because that would create a contradiction, just as it would be an impossible paradox for God to create a boulder so large the even He could not lift it. In that sense (and this is just my opinion), God loves because He is love. He hates sin because He is righteous and just, not because He chooses to hate sin.

Martin Luther, eh? Ain't he the one who wrote "Bondage of the Will"? Someone once said that Calvinism is scarcely a footnote to Luther's work on the subject of free will (or the lack thereof). ;)

4. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

I sure wish someone would show me how and when John the Baptist exercised his free will in becoming John the Baptist!

Please start with him jumping in his mother's womb when Mary spoke to his mother Elizabeth.

[ December 03, 2002, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Hardsheller ]

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The point that "sin is sin" does not address the question raised.

Either Satan is working "With God" to get the egyptians to "hate the Hebrews" as well as "God being the one BEHIND the Hatred" or Satan is working against God.

By placing God as the one "behind the hatred of the Egyptians toward the Hebrews" - God and Satan are placed as "partners" in inspiring that "hatred".

That is obviously the "problem" with the speculation that our God of Love is "behind the hatred".

In direct opposition to that view of God - the Arminian model predicts that God loves you and your child EVEN if that child happens to end up being among the "many" of Matt 7..

The Arminian model proposes the following

- in the Arminian view of the future - where you go to heaven as one of the "FEW" and find that your precious child was one of the "MANY" of Matt 7 - we have the following scenario that you might "expect" if the doctrines of Grace as seen in the Arminian teachings are true...

Not exactly the view of "God who is behind the hatred of the Egyptians".

The text does not tell us that God "inspired hate" but that the message of God - the ministry of God through Moses toward the Egyptians - telling them to let the Hebrews go - was rejected and they hardened their heart - in the same way that God speaks of the Hebrews themselves as being stiff necked in Hebrews 3.

In Christ,

Bob

6. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

The fact that you are still insisting on inability to change one's mind shows that as Scott says, you are thinking too linearly (i.e. confounding time with God's eternal realm and treating it all as the same). On one hand you insist that sin is purely "free-willed", and God does not make them sin, but then if Pharaoh couldn't change his mind because of God's foreknowledge or predetermination, (in order for God to be "in control" of it) then he was basically pre-programmed.
    The Bible doesn't directly say it, but obviously the difference between the two realms is where the mystery lies. (The question is where did scripture ask Augustine and others to try to bridge the two realms. Augustine had been criticized as too rationalistic by the Cappadocian fathers and others, and this caused a lot of doctrinal problems in the Western church).
    If you would let go of this total inability of man, then "God's sovereignty and man's responsibility" would be a point of agreement.

[ December 04, 2002, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Eric B ]

7. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

The fact that Scripture insists on this inability means that I am thinking biblically. I cannot find your 'linear' distinction in Scripture and you agree with me. You just write it up to mystery. I am not comfortable hiding direct revelation behind mystery.

They are a point of agreement in my belief. I have no problem with either one. I am questioning the consistency of claiming that man has a totally free will while at the same time asserting that he cannot change his mind. That is a contradiction that is easily explained by biblical resolution. I am not the one with the difficulty.

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Are you denying that sin is sin?

Again, I direct you to the David's numbering of the people that clearly and biblically answers the problem you can't understand. This question is addressed in Scripture. Don't look to others for answers when it is there.

Your following model is ridiculous in that it is unbiblicaly. To quote the Holy Spirit, Who are you go question God? You seem to ignore those passages that show you to be wrong or that address your questioning of God. That is simply wrong. Put your analogies and desires aside and get back to Scripture.

The Bible says that "God turned their hearts." Are you denying that?

9. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

And all this time I thought that Calvinist's called the existence of sin in spite of God's being the first cause of all things an antinomy. Who knew?

Who is asserting that he cannot change his mind. If God sees the end from the beginning (As He himself says that He is the "beginning and the end" and that he is timeless - isn't that Scriptural support?) then man can change his mind as much as he wants. God can look back in time, seeing what his free decision is, and then know it from the beginning.

I have no difficulty with it at all, in spite of your saying I do.

10. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Scripture does not say "they could not change their minds". That is a deduction based on the reading of a particular doctrine into scripture. (Including the passages about "blinding" and "calling" which would be the closest things, but still could be argued as to who was blinded and why--individuals vs. groups; who was "called"--all or only some; unconditional eternal reprobation of "hardened" individuals, etc.)

What I meant was they (the whole paradox, not the to polarities by themselves) would be a point of agreement to both of us (both camps). What I was saying is that if we know where to place the mystery, and what is going beyond that into speculation, then the two positions would be the same. And you and every other Calvinist do ultimately write it up to mystery (as in the frequent "who are you to question God" statement, which does not apply if the doctrine we are questioning is not really from God).
    If I read correctly other people's statements, I don't think any of us "asserted" man could not change his mind. It's you who have been trying to force foreknowledge to that point, putting that in our mouths, and then claiming we have the "difficulty". (Thus erecting a straw man and knocking it down). This is what Scott and I were rejecting by saying that that assumes a linear continuity between our realm and God's.

[ December 05, 2002, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: Eric B ]

11. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I think this is way off corse. Whether or not Pharaoh had no choice for his own salvation or not, I do believe God hardened his heart with regard to the slaves. We are arguing over whether forknowledge equates to loss of freedom but I have to ask, for those who think it was simply forknowledge, is that anywhere implied in the biblical text? Let me ask again, is there anywhere we it doesn't say "I will harden his heart" or do you believe that the forknowledge is simply implied given the revelation of the rest of scripture?