1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PhD @ Midwestern

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by NateT, Nov 23, 2005.

1. NateT

NateT Member

Just found out that Midwestern is working on getting a PhD program up an running for both OT and NT. The estimated date is Fall 2007 would be the first incoming PhDs. That's about a year before I plan on being ready, but I am interested.

What would be the pros and cons of embarking on a PhD program in it's early stages?

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    NateT,

Cons: there is always some gaps, people who fall through the cracks, etc. I was one of those who was the first to get into a brand new PhD program. Sometimes they are looking for "warm bodies" and let the requirements down just to fill the program and other stuff!

Pros: if it is @ an SBC seminary, it is going to be as top rate as it can be starting out, it is going to be RA, it is probably going to be ATS accredited also. It should be as good a first time first year program as any around, if one wants an SBC degree. It will certainly be cheaper than a private seminary or private public university.

Food for thought and you ask!

sdg!

rd