1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Phillips 1958 Vs. Phillips 1972

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by RipponRedeaux, Jan 31, 2023.

1. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know why Biblegateway has chosen to have the 1958 version of Phillips instead of his 1972 updated edition. That has always frustrated me. JBP was embarrassed that his earlier work was sometimes cited as authoritative. So he tightened things up a bit in the 1972 edition. Not that it was then considered a more form-oriented translation, but it was an improvement however slight.

The NLT, NASB, ESV and other translations are shown in their most recent incarnations. Why not the Phillips?

With Phillips it is hard to find the verses since they are not numbered. So I have my work cut out for me. Also, my 72 edition is an interlibrary loan and the due date is tomorrow. I own his 1958 version. Sometimes I will offer only a snip --not the entire verse.

I'll do some comparisons in the book of Ephesians.

The top will be from the 1958 and the bottom will be from the 1972.

1:11
    And here is the staggering thing --that in all which will one day belong to him we have been promised a share...

In Christ we have been given an inheritance...

2:8
    It was nothing you could or did achieve --it was God's gift to you...

For it is by grace that you are saved, through faith...

2:13
    But now, through the blood of Christ, you who were once outside the pale are with us inside the circle of God's love and purpose.

But now, in Christ Jesus, you who were once far off are brought near through the shedding of Christ's blood.

3:13
    In view of the tremendous issues...

So then I beg you not to lose heart...

5:6
    Don't let anyone fool you on this point, however plausible his argument.

Don't let anyone fool you with empty words.

5:32
    The marriage relationship is doubtless a great mystery, but I am speaking of something deeper still -- the marriage of Christ and his Church.

The marriage relationship is a great mystery, but I see it as a symbol of the marriage of Christ and his Church.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will ever be appreciative Of JB's translation of Romans 12:1,2. He kept verse one the same in his 1972 revision, and changed some of verse two. But it is distinctly Phillips.

With eyes wide open to the mercies of God, I beg you, my brothers, as an act of intelligent worship, to give him your bodies, as a living sacrifice, consecrated to him and acceptable by him. Don't let the world around you squeeze you into its own mould, but let God re-make you so that your whole attitude of mind is changed. Thus you will prove in practice that the will of God's good, acceptable to him and perfect.

That is classic. But I wonder if there is a typo in the last line. Shouldn't it be ... that the will of God is good...

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #1 Use of the early version probably has something to do with the copyright.

#2 “God’s good” - probably a computer typo

“With eyes wide open to the mercies of God, I beg you, my brothers, as an act of intelligent worship, to give him your bodies, as a living sacrifice, consecrated to him and acceptable by him. Don’t let the world around you squeeze you into its own mold, but let God remold your minds from within, so that you may prove in practice that the plan of God for you is good, meets all his demands and moves toward the goal of true maturity.”
    Romans 12:1-2, Phillips 1958 (eighth printing 1960)

Rob

#3 Deacon, Jan 31, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1